How did you???

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Just sitting here tonight wondering about life as I do so often.<br />I was looking at the calander tonight trying to schedule a meeting for my office. I realized that on Tuesday I will be turning 35. It is a slow night, so while cruising around I started thinking of my life. I have been thinking my in-laws were right. I have gone against everything they believe in. They are from the school of thought where a man graduates school, gets a job, marries, buys a house signaling the end of life. That is where they stay for the rest of their lives, either out of fear of change or whatever. I have changed jobs and careers a few times, done a lot of traveling and just enjoyed my life. <br />I look back and see that I am deep in debt, until the past month so far in the red we have been shorting ourselves down to 1 meal a day to feed our kids. Usually finances don't get me down, but last year they did. <br />Don't get me wrong here, I am not here for sympathy. I have been on a few different chat rooms and boards over the years, and found that most of them are full of depressed people whining about themselves. Although I am not on here often, and am fairly new here, I feel comfortable and somewhat at home here. I am not whining or looking for sympathy or any of the other stuff people seek on most internet sites. I read a post tonight from a member here about finances. <br />recently I spoke with an old high school classmate. I am shocked at the number of people from my class still living with mom and dad, still flipping burgers waiting for the big break, and so on. I see that I am pretty fortunate. Anyway, what are the success (or failure) stories that brought everyone here to where they are now?<br />Myself, I got my first job farming when I was 13. I had worked before that during summer months doing light farm work, but nothing stabile until then. It was good for me too because I learned a lot. Also my parents were very hard workers but were poor. I learned a lot from my mother and father about hard work and working for everything you have. I can say that even being in the trouble I am I have EARNED everything I have. Since the age 13 I can't remember a summer I didn't work. I only remember a few winter months I did not work. I skipped playing sports for working after school. <br />Since then I have worked as a farm hand, construction, demolition, truck driver, worked in a wholesale warehouse loading trucks, (when I was a young kid I hung out on the loading docks making extra money unloading trucks for tired drivers). I have cooked hamburgers, washed dishes, roofed houses, even dug ditches for a water line. <br />I am miles from where I started. I started as a farm hand when I got married. Went to college and became an automotive tech, had my own shop for a while. My in-laws have made it clear in the past that I am a jack of all trades, master of none. It is no secret that I should have followed the rest of the lemings and stuck with the same job for all of my adult life. I should have had my first child before I was 30 according to them. Even now the MIL says I need to stop working night shift since I have kids. There is something degrading to her about night shift workers. <br />I look at myself and this is what I see. <br />I have done everything I wanted to do for the most part. I have held and given up on several fortunes. I owned a hog farm that was growing fast and a good money maker but hated the smell. My shop was in the perfect location and was a good money maker, but I was faced with expanding and hiring someone. I didn't want to do that. I managed my families ranch after a few deaths one year. In 3 years I had built up to a large cattle herd, no farm debt, and growing at a good pace. I got out of that because 1, it wasn't fulfilling enough for me 2, too much family involvement since the estates split everything between my mother and her 5 brothers 3, I refused to raise kids in that area of the country and 4, my wife wanted to start her carreer. <br />We had a great almost debt free life, owed on a car and that was all. We lived very well off of 13,000 a year in 1992. Then my wife, while between jobs and out of insurance, got sick and needed surgery. debt came on then. <br />At 27 decided it was time to start a family and give my parents and in-laws the grandkids they "needed". 3 years later doctor said never happen. Fertility treatments gave us one perfect baby girl, then we couldn't find how to shut it off. Had baby girl #2 and baby boy. <br />I was the worthless man when I changed careers into law enforcement because I had the ranch. Between mine and the families I had over 10,000 acreas and 500 breeding stock. <br />early in ouyr marriage we traveled the country. I have traveled in all but a few states and in foreign countries. I have raced NASCAR and NHRA as well as motorcycle drags and dirt. I have rode rodeo stock both for work and fun. I have seen too many awsome sunsets and sunrises, mountains and prairies that will take your breath away. <br />Now I have everything I need, have a few things I don't need. I work long stressful but not labor intensive hours, and work 3 jobs. I am the luckiest man in the world when I wake up with my kids tickeling me every morning. <br />I don't let being broke slow me down much. If I want something I work harder for it. My debt is for a house and 2 cars, so isn't outrageous. <br />I have gone on forever like usual. Now for the question I wanted to post. <br />What led you to where and who you are today?<br />Can you look back and say "I have no regrets and have missed nothing"?

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: How did you???

It sounds like your wealthy from where I'm sitting.<br /><br />My dad always said that if you want something, go out and earn it. So I did. Between 14 y/old and 22 I worked 3 jobs, bought a house, got married & had kids. Finally settled down to one job that I'm still doing today (I'm 43 in 7 weeks). Like you, last year my wife got very sick and as a consequence our meager savings and (more importantly) our retirement nest egg disappeared, gone - poof.<br /><br />Funny thing though, wifeys recovered and at least one rugrat is doing very well and I feel richer than at any other time of my life, go figure :) <br /><br />Aldo

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Deputydawg,<br /><br />at 35 is when I started the process you are going through. I called it midlife crisis, I questioned my very existance ad nauseum and believed that I was going nowhere.<br /><br />To answer you question. My parents always said that I should have been and artist, be it commericial or fine arts. The arts don't pay so I went to college to get my diploma in mechanical engineering.<br /><br />Met a lovely girl and spend my study time at the swimming pool with my newfound love. Needless to say I failed. The company who had sponsored me would not allow me to rewrite the exams and found me a job with them. I then met a girl and we moved in together, we had zip. We lived in what you guys would call a trailer park. My parents were mortified, by where we lived and the fact that she was an older "hussy" with a child.<br /><br />We lived together for a couple of years before we got married, barely made a living during this time. In this period I nearly got fired 3 times at work, I was a lazy sh$t. On the last occasion, at the age of 24 someone in that business believed enough in me to give me a responsible job. Within 2 months I was in England for taining.<br /><br />I came back and was appointed as the insulation engineer in the design department of GEC. I was esponsible for specifying the electrical insulation systems in high voltage electric motors.<br /><br />I was then head hunted to join a small business who supplied electrical insulations. This eventually turned into a business that I had 6% shares in. As my friend once said, "enough for you to work your butt off for but not enough for a significant payout". He was right. We worked hard and long hours. This business was eventually bought by a large (by South African standards) enamelled copper wire manufacturer.<br /><br />I continued to work hard and was promoted again and again. I am now the president of the company which is very successful. I have little debt, own two new cars, have bought each of my 4 children cars. I have a late model boat and caravan(see my avatar), great house. I fly overseas on business etc. etc. My second wife is wonderful and we easily can afford for her to stay home, which she does. All the trappings of success ??????<br /><br /><br />BUTTTTT<br /><br /><br />I can't sleep, I wake up every night 4 or 5 times a night. My brain is unable to sleep and keeps working overtime. Work has consumed me and I have little time for anything else. Alcohol has become a constant companion and I drink too heavily although still under control, for now. My decisions for a career cost me my first wife and my relationships with my kids. I have high blood pressure and chest pains. Can't remember when last I used my boat or caravan. Can't remember when last I got home and my wife was not sleeping or leaving for work when she is awake. <br /><br /><br />I have not had the time to do all the things I wish to do. But like you deputydawg these have all been my decisions, I blame nobody but myself for where I find myself today. I do find it very difficult to even consider getting out of the rat race.<br /><br />I have led people my whole life, cub scouts, boy scouts, Captain in the military and now at work. This has in my mind been my only major achievement in life.<br /><br />Consider yourself blessed to have done so much.<br /><br />I have plenty regrets .............. <br /><br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew

rogerwa

Commander

I'm too tired to type in my life story, but I will say there are an awful lot of unhappy rich people. Wealth does not equate to happiness. But you know that already.<br /><br />In laws don't really matter unless you are seeking their approval. When I met my wife, her dad was an imposing figure. He was very highly educated, BS in electrical engineering and PHD in mathematics, and here I was, a lowly tech school guy. It was clear I was not the guy he pictured his eldest daughter with. That kinda bugged me. At the time I was not a bundle of confidence in the first place.<br /><br />I just decided not to worry about it. So long as his daughter and I were happy, who cares. After 16+ years, I have a good relationship with my in laws. They have come to appreciate me as a good father, patient husband, and good provider. Since I am not seeking his approval, it makes me act more like myself around him. I poke at him every now and then just for fun..<br /><br />I don't regret any steps that I have taken and it is interesting how little things make big changes in your life. I would not have met my wife had I not visited the second party of a three party night. I was perfectly content at staying the first party. I also would have married the girlfriend before her had she not dumped me (broke my heart badly).<br /><br />AS far as the debt is concerned, live within your means. Too many people get caught up in the CC debt, which is what kills you. Even though my means have significantly grown over the past two years, we still don't buy anything unless we have the cash in hand to do it. Often that means waiting. We have resigned ourselves to a car payment and our mortgages (house and cabin). We don't have cable TV, we watch our cell phone minutes and we only eat out once a week.<br /><br />I said I wasn't going to type my life history so I better quit.. TTFN..

NYMINUTE

Captain

The pace will slow in your next 20, it just does. It doesn't mead you are older, just wiser. How unusual it is to be the voice of reason to your family, instead of the disiplinarian. The rewards are the wisdom to slow it down a bit, more pleasure, less stress. That is as enjoyable.

one more cast

Captain

STAGE 1)I started off on the wrong foot at 17 when I unzipped my pants and took my brain out. Baby girl at 18 while still in school. After graduation when to work at a furniture factory for 6 months then got hired at a local paper mill. Made a pretty good living but hated the shift work. My wife went to work at kraft foods so I took a day job at the mill with a big pay cut. Things were going good till my wife got involved with another man where she worked.<br /> STAGE 2) Single for the first time in my life at age 32, Hated being lonely and ended up in a rebound marriage, got diagnosed with RA, Had to take care of my Dad who got lung cancer and died,had to leave my job of 21 years because of the RA and went through a nasty, nasty second divorce after a bad 7 year marriage.<br /> STAGE 3) BROKE, bought an old run down trailer with girlfriend, fought our way out of debt. bought a new house,got married again. BROKE again. Want to move to warmer climate because of my health but my 84 year old Mom won't budge. So, stuck here in beautiful upstate NY freezing my butt off with cabin fever big time at age 46.<br /> All I want is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy!

KaGee

Admiral

No such thing as a mid-life crisis... just mid-life stupidity.

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey everyone..long time no see! deputydawg, I too just turned 35! And have been pondering the things of the past myself.<br /><br />I too started out on the wrong foot. Trying to tick off my mom at 17..ended up pregnant and dropped out of high school. Struggle for years through life with a husband that was trying his best and a baby that came first. To bad babies don't come with instruction manuals!! We lived so poor that on many occassions it was only our son that ate daily. No help from either my family or his. We had it rough and it lasted that way for a lot of years. In and out of crappy housing situations and even crappier jobs. Poor, very very poor. I worked when our son started school and of course it helped somewhat but we still struggled with no help and no support. <br /><br />We always thought we were happy no matter what was going on. Being that young, we still had the party habits in us. SW went into the Army and then went to college....which both were more disappointments. We both wanted so much from life but never had the support or education or wisdom to get it. We have both worked at doing a little bit of everything and I believe that it is not a bad thing to be a jack of trades even if you aren't a master at any. I am a master at none, but there is nothing in life that I cannot do. Would anyone be surprised to learn that I, Mrs SW, knows how to remove, over-haul and reinstall truck engines and outboard boat motors?? And that's just the tip of the iceberg!<br /><br />After years of struggling and wondering when it was ever going to get better, someone finally gave me a chance. I now own and run two businesses, one of which pays for my living expenses and my desires that I only work three months out of a year for a whole years salary! The other is just for kicks. We no longer struggle. Does money make me happy?? NO, by no means. I make me happy. My good little family makes me happy. Knowing that for once in my life I don't feel like I have to depend on someone to help me through a day makes me happy! I have no debt other than a mortgage. I have three trucks, a boat and a number of other things that I probably really don't need and I got them by working hard. We are in the mind set that if we cannot pay cash for them, we cannot afford them. We paid cash for all the vehicles and things, we do not pay on them. I get up every morning to do what I know needs to be done to have in life what I know I need and want. That makes me happy!<br /><br />I have been married since I was 17 to SW. We have had our ups and downs, and there are plenty of regrets that I do have, but I'm not sure I would go back and change any of the things that have happened in my life because it is those things that have taught me to be the person that I am today. I have come to know God better than I'd ever thought possible, I have come to know myself more than I ever thought I could have and I love my little family. We are not perfect and we are not wealthy, but we are all happy! And IMHO that's what really counts!<br /><br />God and family is all that counts in life! Learn to be close, patient, compassionate and content with them and you have figured out what life is all about!

SoulWinner

Commander

Dang Mrs SW, I was gonna post a huge pack of fantastic and highly improbable lies, and here you go and tell the dang truth!<br /><br />Dawg, you are the man! You have done a bunch of the things in life that I long to do. If you can wake up and be happy and content with your life, then screw anyone who thinks it should be different.<br /><br />Peace Bro.

KaGee

Admiral

Mr. SW is one lucky man to be married to a woman like you Mrs. SW. You pack a gun and a tool box!<br /><br />After 28 yrs of marriage here, I 'm lucky if she can fill the car up with gas... forget about anything even slightly mechanical. :D

SoulWinner

Commander

Kagee, she didn't come like this out of the box! It took years of extreme poverty and hard times to make her the gem she is today. Like a diamond, she was formed under intense pressure. A mother at 17, no marketable skills, no education, and a family to care for.....I thank God that he loves us!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I got through high school & college unscathed despite some heavy-duty drinking & recreational pharmaceutical usage. Parents didn't go to college but were determined for their kids to so I never considered not going. Paid for it working & student loans. Dad had a white-collar job with a good company & good retirement thank goodness I don't have to worry about him.<br /><br />Smartest thing I ever did: got engaged six weeks after meeting G, married six months later. Dumbest thing I ever did: gave in to the temptation of easy credit early in life. I don't regret borrowing to finance education, automobiles, or a house, but unsecured debt (credit cards & consolidation loan) of around $12k, down from a high of over $30k and that is been a hard row to hoe, scaling back your standard of living to pay off debt. But we haven't really suffered. Never missed a meal or scrimped on medical care.<br /><br />From age 23 to 35 I had six jobs (one at a time), but now I'm 10 years with the same company. Four weeks vacation, a cube with a window, good medical & retirement. Except our competitive environment has us on shaky ground & do I have to worry about retirement? Due to the previously mentioned poor credit choices I'm counting on social security & the company retirement plan to save me from becoming a WalMart Greeter.<br /><br />Five years ago we took custody of two nieces, now 13 & 15, whose Mom was killed by one of the drug dealers she was living with, and their dad is an alcoholic wife-beating loser. Talk about culture shock! People seem to think we would find this rewarding, but quite frankly, it's a chore. I'm only doing it because it's the right thing to do and nobody else was there to step up to the plate. I think parents are able to tolerate teenagers because of the bonds they create with infants, toddlers, adolescents; we missed that stage. I work hard to overcome that attitude because it's just flat wrong to let it show through to the kids. We don't expect displays of gratitude any more than any other parents - which I think means maybe after they're grown and realize how thankful they should be. I don't want them to grow up in an environment where they feel "obligated." Not any more than anybody else.<br /><br />Anyway, now at 45 let me tell you 35 year-olds: older you get, the faster time flies. Live in the moment; every now & then, look around & think to yourself "this is a great moment. Blue sky, calm water, people I love..." whatever it is, stop thinking about the future or what to do next just for a couple minutes.<br /><br />Good thing about getting older: no matter what the problem is, it'll be over before you know it. High school freshman giving you a hard time? She'll be outta here in 3 years; that's nothing! I could do that time standing on my head! Meanwhile I'll still go fishing every other weekend. Not a bad deal.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

The questions were;<br /><br />"What led you to where and who you are today?<br />Can you look back and say "I have no regrets and have missed nothing"?<br />I have plenty of regrets, too many to list. I was a teenager once....'nuff said there!<br />I missed so many chances to better myself or those around me, but was too stupid to make use of them, or too lazy to provide the effort required, at a time when I werked two jobs.<br /><br /><br />What led me here was my mistakes and sucesses. I had a 52 year life of them, so far. "Good times, bad times, you know I've had my share".<br />I've experienced ecstasies and heartaches,some so horrific, they led to professional intervention for "major aggressive depression".<br />When it comes to these life experiences, we all have them. And how we react to these events, is what we make of ourselves. But in the end, there is an end to all of this. And I live now, for what I personally believe comes after. This is the new course I set for my life two years ago. If I were to look-upon life and death from my own perspective, it would allways depress me, and have very little significance(SP). <br /><br />I won't preach here. But just wanted to explain how I got to this point, and what I look-forward to....And it aint of this world.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by One More Cast:<br /> STAGE 1)I started off on the wrong foot at 17 when I unzipped my pants and took my brain out. Baby girl at 18 while still in school. After graduation when to work at a furniture factory for 6 months then got hired at a local paper mill. Made a pretty good living but hated the shift work. My wife went to work at kraft foods so I took a day job at the mill with a big pay cut. Things were going good till my wife got involved with another man where she worked.<br /> STAGE 2) Single for the first time in my life at age 32, Hated being lonely and ended up in a rebound marriage, got diagnosed with RA, Had to take care of my Dad who got lung cancer and died,had to leave my job of 21 years because of the RA and went through a nasty, nasty second divorce after a bad 7 year marriage.<br /> STAGE 3) BROKE, bought an old run down trailer with girlfriend, fought our way out of debt. bought a new house,got married again. BROKE again. Want to move to warmer climate because of my health but my 84 year old Mom won't budge. So, stuck here in beautiful upstate NY freezing my butt off with cabin fever big time at age 46.<br /> All I want is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy!
Wow, I thought I was the only one.. Thanks OMC, Good to know I have Great company Must be a New York State of Being. (Buffalo Native)

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br />
I won't preach here. But just wanted to explain how I got to this point, and what I look-forward to....And it aint of this world.
I'm with you on this one 12Footer!! ;)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Life is supposed to be lived, not watched.<br /><br />Graduated high school, worked at various places.<br />Went to local junior college, working in a lab the entire time<br />At 20 yrs old, quit working, let mom and dad pay for "real college" hated every minute of it, depending on them for money.<br />Got another lab job, went to "real college" part time.<br />Got a good job at the company I work at now. Still went to college.<br />At 27 yrs old, decided I would never finish college, took a field service job position in same company.<br />Year, later, took a new position in company in South East Asia. Worked in the are form 3 yrs, got married.<br />At 32 moved back to USA with wife, had a baby.<br /><br />Life is good, money is ultratight, be we still manage to have fun. I have zero regrets.<br /><br />Ken

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

deputydawg<br /> many of us are or have been where your at. I got married at 19. by age 19 I had been factory trained by porsche and mazda. moved frol AL to TX and took a job with a cousin in a shop he and an army buddy started. big mistake, took a job with a machine shop and taught myself how to program set upand repair CNC maching centers. had kid 1 at age 24, got bored with the machine shop and joined the USN. started as an E-1 and in 3 years was drawing E-5 pay. was medically retired from that and started my own business back with boats. done it most ever since. in the time from 16 yrs old to now life has changed a lot. some good some bad. I have taken and graduated from courses for chevy and olds in the 80's got my tech degree in automotive machining. been certified in volvo-penta,mercruiser,merc-mariner,suzuki and force and yamaha. in the navy I graduated #1 in my BE&E school,FC(A) school and FC (C) school. did the preconstruction and commisioning on the USS Arliegh Burke,over the years I was married 22 of them got divorced, had custody of both kids, worked a day job contracting and worked my shop at night between cooking house work and homework. I also do some animal rescue and have had high angle rescue training as well as swift water rescue training.<br /> there is a lot more but what we are telling you is your OK. no worries. take care of the family.I neglected mine some while pursuing a means top pay bills. when the wife left the first time in 97 I woke up to find she had racked up 68K in debts and some she had forged my name on. since then I have worked very hard and a lot of hours. today I own nothing but the house and some old cars and trucks but other than utilities I am debt free.<br /> made the last payment last april :) :) .<br /> I also met a fine woman in venezuela about 3 years ago. we have dated and visited every few months since. now I am selling this place and going to move south a bit where the weather is nicer and fishing is year round :) .<br /> all I can say is after finally getting out of debt I will never be in it again. ill live in a box first. since I was 15 I have always had at least two jobs. and now I cant stop. like andrew I work(when not on iboats:)) and cant seem to slow down. my boat sits in the water year round, I have to drive past it to get to the main road, I have not had it out since jan 13th. if the weather is nice and sometimes not I am working. cost me a marriage and some kids. wasnt all my fault as the ex helped but it was my decision. always thought just a bit more and I can quit. work can be as addicting as any drug.<br /> now do I have any regrets? a few.<br /> would I do anything different? some.<br /> do I like who I am or what I do? absolutley. <br />little things like once in texas I came across an elderly couple broke down on 174 just outside cleburne TX. towed them on to the house and the wife got them back to town and while they were gone I replaced the timing chain in the old truck. they had no money so all I asked is pass it on someday. one of the greatest moments was after the hurricane floyd floods I had taken my truck and boat to the princeville area. was totally devestated and rural poor. while at the tarboro animal shelter a young girl,maybe 16, came in crying about her cat. she and her family had lost everything even the mobile home they had lived in was gone. she told me and my co rescuer about where they had lived. we waded in waist and chest deep water for almost 6 hours and somehow found that cat. when she showed up at the shelter and I handed her her cat it was wonderful. one of the few times in my life I had to walk away cause I did not wish to cry around all them people :) . so just plug along, do what is right, help those you can and sleep well at night :) <br /> it gets better if you let it.

ebbtide176

Commander

you lead a rich life DD. just try your best and you will keep your head above water ;) <br /><br />maybe i will rewrite this, but i can just say i had big plans when young, set myself up and got accepted at a top college with very very little help from parents, and had a rough, poor upbringing. but i had great aspirations and a plan. then i lost my best friend/cousin in a bad car accid with me beside him. i guess i can only say it was a 'cup runneth over' situation in a bad way. i gave up on life, dignity, hope & fell into a deep depression that took me @ 4yrs to even get a grip on. at @ 23yo i started a 'reboot' and new focus on life.<br /><br />over the following decade i finally came to understand & appreciate my path in life. i mean i might not have wanted/planned it but have basically lived the exact same 'good at all, master of none' deal. done exactly all the same jobs you listed, except running the farm,LE & demolition. plus cabinetry & concrete, pager/radio repair, and computer systems maint. <br /><br />i stop to apprec my life & little things now. i don't even want to get a mgmt job, and don't try, as i've done that before. i'm in my early 40's now.<br /><br />one of the most touching moments to me was several yrs ago when i ran into an old childhood friend in my old home town at his(&my wifes) church. he could've had it all, but he worked at a furniture fac nearby, to stay by his family roots. i asked him the 'what you wished you'd done' question - he said basically what i've now got taped on the wall in my ofc:<br />- success is when you have some of the things in life money can buy, and ALL of the things money can't buy - you could see the contentment in his face, and it really stuck in my mind.<br /><br />i guess i would say i've come full circle in how to live my life. other than that, i would just add the same quote:<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />I won't preach here. But just wanted to explain how I got to this point, and what I look-forward to....And it aint of this world.<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />like the song "I Can Only Imagine" - by Steven Curtis Chapman(?)<br /><br />and i don't even worry about what i could've, should've, would've done because it would mean i wouldn't be right in the place in life i am now :)

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Deputy, I know how you feel.<br />My wife's siblings are all of the "home to college to office forever" crowd. They could not believe that she "settled" for me. I didn't settle into a "respectable" career until I was past 30. I took the long way, too. <br /><br />Bur, when we got married, we made a consious decision to never look back and say "I wish we had gone ahead and....."<br /><br />We have lived every day that way. If we wanted to do something, we worked harder and did it. If we wanted to do something and couldn't figure out a way to afford it, we went on and found something else we wanted to do.<br /><br />We've lived that way our entire marriage, and the kids have been right there with us. Together we've seen the Rocky Mountains, the deserts, the Great Northwest, Sunrises on the Atlantic coast, sunsets on the Pacific, and just about everything in between. Memories that will last forever. <br /><br />My wife and I made a promise to each other that if something happened to one of us, the other would never look back and wish there had been something other than work and scrimping and saving. We've kept that promise.