How critical of an issue!

Miragut

Cadet
thanks for your input before hand
I have a lower unit with a pretty good crack in behind the gear housing section,
Im worried it may blow up soon it has been used like this past two years various trips in the river not a major hour racker tho. Two or three tanks of fuel a season.

At oil change intervals theres no water contaminates.
I need to know if this is a major issue
Is there an oring seal that keeps the oil in? Is that crack coming to close to it? Also its cracked to the threads of the housing So its compromised
Should i get another unit or full send it this summer?
8B417F14-90AB-4AE2-90F0-AF60DEC02855.jpeg91706A1B-027B-4745-AE39-F3F4FB29B54C.jpeg404E95D7-426F-4AA7-9E87-6DDC9F4D6604.jpeg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Looks like motor was tilted in freezing weather.----Have your local fab shop weld that up now.----Not later.------There is an o-ring at / near the front of the crack.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Housing also holds propshaft carrier in position via spanner nut. This damage can cause nut to jump threads and allow water or carrier with shaft /gear and prop to exit housing in a full reverse thrust mode. Fix it now or replace housing. Replacement will require special tools and set-up,

Miragut

Cadet
Housing also holds propshaft carrier in position via spanner nut. This damage can cause nut to jump threads and allow water or carrier with shaft /gear and prop to exit housing in a full reverse thrust mode. Fix it now or replace housing. Replacement will require special tools and set-up,
Special tools and set up to replace a lower unit?? Wouldnt most simular models just bolt up?

Racerone mentioned welding it, even tho the housing nut(i belive thats the first nut behind the prop) has jumped the threads is it a good idea to weld it?
What kind of metal is the housing we have lots of special rods and welders

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Special tools and set up to replace a lower unit?? Wouldnt most simular models just bolt up?
Yes a complete will just bolt on...to swap your internals to a different housing will require the tools

Miragut

Cadet
Yes a complete will just bolt on...to swap your internals to a different housing will require the tools
Okay understood, so i have three options i guess, weld it (would jb weld be sufficient or should it be tig welded)??
swap lower units,
or sell 🤔

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I know the procedure to weld this aluminum housing.----It would be done in stages.----Your local welding tech would know how to repair this.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
That’s not going to weld easily. When welded it will get tighter. Easy to damage seals with the heat. I would suggest replacement of the lower and go boating.