How can I tell shaft length?

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What points would I measure from to determine shaft length? Please dont say measure the shaft, if I knew what that was, I wouldnt be asking.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: How can I tell shaft length?

Well, to see what shaft length you need, measure the transom in the very center, from the top down to the keel. A short shaft transome would be about 16 - 18 inches and a long shaft 5 inches longer.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the motor sitting in my garage now... How do I measure it to see what it is?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

This diagram should help

outboard20shaft20length.gif

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is exactly what I needed... Thank you.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You must be refering to the 6hp you just bought? That's easy to tell. Just look for the 5 inch extension in the midsection. If there's one there, its a long shaft, if not, then it's a short shaft. The diagram that HighTrim posted, you want the cavitation plate to match the keel

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The cav plate matching the keel is cutting it close to cavitating I find, especially on turns. I like the cav plate an inch or so below.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I do too. Oddly enough, they show them matching. LOL

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You must be refering to the 6hp you just bought? That's easy to tell. Just look for the 5 inch extension in the midsection. If there's one there, its a long shaft, if not, then it's a short shaft. The diagram that HighTrim posted, you want the cavitation plate to match the keel

Thanks man, I'll measure it up. I appreciate all your help.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its a 16"... Perfect. I got very lucky here with this motor. Hopefully that luck will carry me safely in and outta the water. thanks for your help guys.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, you'll love running that little motor. Those are great motors and very reliable. I don't forsee any trouble with it, as long as you take good care of it and keep it tuned properly. ;)