How can i tell if i have an automotive alternator?

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys my alt on my 3.0 dosnt give out any voltage and need to change it out. I found a guy on ebay that sells marine 1 wire alts for about $60.00 and thinking of going that route since the local alt shop was $140.00 to rebuild mine. My question is how can i tell if i even have a marine unit on my motor? I can't seen any screens of any kind on this old nasty alt. It is supposed to have screens on it right? <br /><br />thanks, <br /><br />Big-E

Trent

Captain
Re: How can i tell if i have an automotive alternator?

Yes you should have a screen. You can buy them aftermarket and install one on a alternator from the local autoparts store if your handy with tools.

jeff13601

Chief Petty Officer

Do you have a local shop that rebuilds them?

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Trent, I thought it should have little screens on it. <br /><br />Jeff: Yes the local shop quoted me $140.00 to rebuilt my current unit. Thats a little high and i think i will check out that guy that sells marine 1 wire alts for around $60.00 bucks. <br /><br />thanks guys , <br /><br />Big-E

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by jeff13601:<br /> Do you have a local shop that rebuilds them?
This is the way to go, I had mine done for my car and told them to only replace what was bad, no bearings, nothing else. Cost me $25.00

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LubeDude: maybe i should find another shop. They took it apart and said it was shot and would need to be totally rebuilt at the sum of $140.00. Guess i gota shop around. <br /><br />Thanks alot!

Laddies

Banned

Big-E, maybe they thought the E=Easy :p ;) :D

xltier

Chief Petty Officer

we have a shop that does them for 65.00 guess we are lucky.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Not all marine alts have a screen fitted.<br />Many late model alts have a sealed brush holder assy instead. <br />Perfect.<br />No Sparks from Brush Slip Ring.<br />Safe as, just a different fix.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Peter

KaGee

Admiral

Yes you should have a screen. You can buy them aftermarket and install one on a alternator from the local autoparts store if your handy with tools.
Is your life or the life of your loved one's only worth the cost of "screens"? <br /><br />There is more to it than "screens". Buy the MARINE approved alternator or have your's rebuilt by a pro. This is one item that you CANNOT replace with an automotive type.

Trent

Captain

There is more to it than "screens". Buy the MARINE approved alternator or have your's rebuilt by a pro. This is one item that you CANNOT replace with an automotive type.<br /><br />_______________________________________________<br /><br />My guess is you have never overhauled a alternator before?? Iv done many.
imscrkit.jpg
<br />Marine alternators must be ignition protected in accordance with SAE J1171, UL 1500 and ISO 8846. And USCG 183.410<br /><br />----------------------------------------------<br />FEDERAL LAW<br /><br />183.410 - Ignition Protection<br /><br />(a) Each electrical component must not ignite a propane gas and air mixture that is 4.25 to 5.25 percent propane gas by volume surrounding the electrical component when it is operated at each of its manufacturer rated voltages and current loadings, unless it is isolated from gasoline fuel sources, such as engines, and valves, connections, or other fittings in vent lines, fill lines, distribution lines or on fuel tanks, in accordance with paragraph (b) of this section.<br /> <br /><br />An electrical component that is “ignition protected” is capable of operating in an explosive environment without igniting that environment. “Ignition protection” of electrical devices is accomplished by the use of seals, flame arrestors and potting (sealing), or a combination of such means.

KaGee

Admiral

Marine alternators must be ignition protected in accordance with SAE J1171, UL 1500 and ISO 8846. And USCG 183.410<br />
And one cannot get those approvals by simply modifying an automotive alternator.<br /><br />But do as you please. Nuff said. Plenty of threads on the subject if one cares to search.

tommays

Admiral

there is a BIG difference between replaceing a screen on a rated unit<br /><br /><br />and adding a screen to an unrated unit <br /><br /><br />tommays

Trent

Captain

there is a BIG difference between replaceing a screen on a rated unit<br /><br />----------------------------------------- <br />And that Big Difference would be??<br /><br /><br />What ever...... The kit gives the approval so I know you have never installed one. Nuff said for shure. Do what you want.

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow, thats alot of replys now.. hehe thanks guys<br /><br />I did end up getting a rebuilt unit rom another shop they had one made allready. Spent $50 bucks on one. Allthough it dosnt have the screens like pictured above. <br /><br />peterf: I dont think that old unit i had was sealed but i did take it apart and it looked like any other automotive alt. It did have a big marine sticker on it and same with my new one that dosnt have screens either. Guess its just the new way of doing it.. <br /><br />Trent: where did you get a screen kit and for how much? <br /><br />I had to help my dad change his water pump on his 5.8 L OMC yesterday and noted his alt has screens on it. Year of motor is 94. <br /><br /><br />thanks for info guys, <br /><br />Big-E

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also, do the screens just go onto the back of the alt? or on the front also, Mine dosnt have screens on the front but the back of my alt is sealed. The back of my dads has screens like is pictured above. <br /><br />thanks, <br /><br />Big-E

tommays

Admiral

Kit includes front and rear screens<br />Makes an automotive Alternator fit most MARINE specs<br /><br /><br />i dont want to fit most i want to meet or excede them all<br /><br /><br />tommays