How can I register boat with no papers?

Toallhisdoom

Cadet
Not really much of a boat, but I have a pelican bass raider 10e. Currently with a 55lb Minn iota on it. But want to put a 3.5hp merc on it to go to bigger lakes.

I know even with the trolling motor I need it to be registered but have only been going to small lakes.

when I bought it the guy had no papers. Gave me a bill of sale but that's long been lost.

so how can I get this thing registered? Also do I need all the normal boat safety stuff on this thing??life vests flares all that?

NY state

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... It depends entirely on the State yer boatin' in,....
But, generally speakin', ya need a title for anything newer than '73, or a transferable registration if older,....

Here in NYS, yer best bet is usin' ole paper from a junked out, 'n gone hull,....
If the length is nearly right, 'n the material is right, nobody will ever care,....

Toallhisdoom

Cadet
Ny state near Albany. It's just a little plastic pontoon boat 10ft long. Would anyone even bother stopping me?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Ny state near Albany. It's just a little plastic pontoon boat 10ft long. Would anyone even bother stopping me?

They might as they are doing their job and they know most little putters aren't registered and usually don't have the required safety equipment aboard. Any sized boat that is powered, electric or gas, must have a registration ID on the bow here in Ontario Canada including a Canoe. Any motor less than a 9.9 doesn't need to be but the boat must be. It will vary State to State in the US. Do some research for NYS requirements.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Old, do you know that over 65 percent of the boats in Canada are not reg to the proper owner.Boat reg /lic is a federal responsibility not a provincial one.That 65 percent number was a federal study done a few years ago With only bills of sale it was so hard for people to keep up with mulitiple sales etc that most just give up and like me just use them with whatever numbers are on there.Up at camp there are texas,illinois,ohio,mich ,numbered boats and not one person from those states within a thousand miles.Our system needs a total overhaul.In my over 40 years of boating ive never ever heard of anybody ever being asked about their numbers as long as theres some on there,and ive been stopped many multiples of times on the St Marys river which is a international border river.Maybe one of the answers would be actual ownerships like autos and snowmobiles .

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Old, do you know that over 65 percent of the boats in Canada are not reg to the proper owner.Boat reg /lic is a federal responsibility not a provincial one.That 65 percent number was a federal study done a few years ago With only bills of sale it was so hard for people to keep up with mulitiple sales etc that most just give up and like me just use them with whatever numbers are on there.Up at camp there are texas,illinois,ohio,mich ,numbered boats and not one person from those states within a thousand miles.Our system needs a total overhaul.In my over 40 years of boating ive never ever heard of anybody ever being asked about their numbers as long as theres some on there,and ive been stopped many multiples of times on the St Marys river which is a international border river.Maybe one of the answers would be actual ownerships like autos and snowmobiles .

Yes I know that rude. I have mentioned the fact that many boaters in Canada are very lax in registering their boats here on iboats. I know of more than a few personally. I really don't get it. It is very easy to register a boat with the Feds with little or no paperwork.. We did it a few years back when my buddy picked up a cuddy with zero paperwork other than the bill of sale. A few pics of the boat including serial numbers of the hull and I/O, the bow numbers and the boat itself. Notarized and off to New Brunswick if I remember right. I think it was 2 weeks and he got the new title etc. The only times I have been asked for registration is crossing the border each way, and once loading the boat at a Marina on Lake Erie. I keep 1 set of papers on the boat and another set of copies in the truck, originals at home. I have never heard of anyone being fined.

Why do you think we are so lax when it comes to registration 82rude? I was surprised when I heard that 65% number. Normally Canadians will do everything the Gov. demands and smile as we bend over. If the Feds want to generate revenue through fines all they need to do is sit at any ramp and check all the boats for paperwork, 6 out of 10 could be fined.

NYBo

Admiral
Normally, you need the registration from the previous owner, signed over to you (no title for a boat that size) plus a bill of sale with the HIN on it. Since you don't have either of these, you are in for a bit of a hassle. Check with the DMV for advice on how to proceed.

As far as safety equipment, yes, you are required to carry it. Here's a quick guide. In NYS, you also need an appropriate anchor and anchor rode.
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/reqequip.htm

82rude

Rear Admiral
I think where issues come in is with old boats that may have gone through several owners and bill of sales get lost etc.I would like to see a breakdown on the numbers,id bet the majority of non correctly reg boat are under 19 feet and have passed through 10 plus owners in their lifetimes.How about motors?Ive bought dozens with no paperwork exchanging hands either way .I will have to look into trying to get mine done right but I cant find my bill of sale and cant remember the name of who I bought it off of and doubt very much he was a reg owner either.My woody was fully a ok but I reg that as homemade even though it was a giesler,it was rebuilt from the keel up.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Because of the size of your boat, it won't need a title regardless of age. If it has ANY mechanical propulsion, it will need to be registered.

The ONLY way to register it is with a transferable registration, signed over to you, AND with a bill of sale. The BOS is needed to verify the amount of taxes due. The reg can be from NYS or any other state it was previously registered in.

I once registered a homemade boat (it WAS truly homemade) and they made me jump thru hoops. I needed multiple bills of sale, showing lumber yard receipts for marine grade plywood, paint, marine hardware, etc, etc. It took several trips to the DMV and they added up all the costs and ended up charging me double sales tax.

In another instance I registered an Ohio boat and had all the correct documentation. It required them to "do research" with OHIO, which held up my NY registration for almost a year!

I have heard people brag about using old paper from a defunct boat and creating a bogus BOS. Of course, its illegal. But really where are you going to find paper from a 10 footer?

The fine could be up to a couple hundred. Depends on the Justice in the town you are caught in. If you are in a border river and are caught on the Canadian side the fine will shock you and the boat will be confiscated.

NYS has wonderful waterways, many free ramps, and (IMHO) is very boater friendly if you follow the rules. OTOH, NY is vicious with taxes and fines for those who don't. That's the way they make their money (and that's the way we like it.....LOL)

There are a couple of 10' pontoons at our Summer Vacation spot. They all use paddles.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Up here in Canada reg a boat is free and federal,the provinces have nothing to do with it.Why I have no clue as jimS123 said theres taxes to be made,im amazed we arnt charged more money.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Up here in Canada reg a boat is free and federal,the provinces have nothing to do with it.Why I have no clue as jimS123 said theres taxes to be made,im amazed we arnt charged more money.

I was talking about New York. Any time a Motor vehicle is sold there is sales tax on the selling price. I have given several cars to my children over the years. Since a Bill of Sale is also required I always made it out for $1.00. That way the transfer was legal and they only had to pay 8 cents tax.

Ontario taxes are already double what NY's are, so I think you're getting screwed one way or the other.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I was talking about New York. Any time a Motor vehicle is sold there is sales tax on the selling price. I have given several cars to my children over the years. Since a Bill of Sale is also required I always made it out for $1.00. That way the transfer was legal and they only had to pay 8 cents tax.

Ontario taxes are already double what NY's are, so I think you're getting screwed one way or the other.

I look at tickets and fines as Voluntary Taxes and I support their use. That way the state has a good income and the rest of us don't have to pay extra.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
We might have to pay a Federal tax here in Canada. I say might because they don't always send a bill, crazy. Taxes on the trailer are Provincial. You pay that when you change the ownership. Just like Canucks not registering boats many just swap plates on trailers if around the same size. You will find out what the Fed tax is when you sell the boat in Canada. I know I never got a bill, that was 9 years ago.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Guys - Please, this isn't helping the OP with all the Canadian talk unless New York is now a Canadian province. Close, but it's on the wrong side of the St. Lawrence river and Lakes Erie and Ontario.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... 'cause any vessel with any Power, other than human power, needs to be registered, 'n the game wardens enjoy doin' their job,.....

I've been stopped more often in my canoe with a ele. trollin' motor, than I have in my 22' fishin' barge,....

Yer little boat, 'n trollin' motor would look like a huge red thumb, 1/2 way across a pond,....

Here in NYS, an ole boat without papers; is a plant pot, not a boat,.....

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Guys - Please, this isn't helping the OP with all the Canadian talk unless New York is now a Canadian province. Close, but it's on the wrong side of the St. Lawrence river and Lakes Erie and Ontario.

Yep, just like any conversation between like minded folks it's easy to get off track. You mean the "right" side of the border don't you? There off topic again. Sorry.