How Big Is Too Big?

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How Big Is Too Big?

i was in your situation three seasons ago; I was dead sure I wanted a cuddy cabin - until I started checking them out. Small, dank, hot - we would never spend any time in the cabin so it was wasted space.

I totally agree with this. We boated a lot with a friend that traded nearly every year up, and they had cuddies a few times and hated them. No one ever went in the cabin because it was hot and dark in there, contrasted with how much the kids enjoyed the space up front on the bow.

I just went through buying a boat and wrestled with how big to get. I actually have 4 teen and older kids, and bought a boat with a max capacity of 4. I was trying decide between a bass boat and a fish and ski. Then I was torn on price. In the end, I decided to buy the smaller cheaper one reasoning that I'd be a lot happier if I bought this and used it so much that I decided to sell and upgrade, vs. if I had bought a bigger/newer/pricier boat and it sat unused. There are a lot of lakes around that we can beach next to a swimming area and so have more people using the boat and taking turns. And I'll enjoy the smaller size for fishing. I still may go up a size in a year or two, but for now I'm quite content with what I bought.

I would encourage you to buy something used at a decent price that you can always sell if you end up with not what you really want. If you buy something new and buy wrong, it will cost you a bundle to switch.

skargo

Banned

From my experiance and that of clients, any Cuddy below 22' - 23' has no reason to exist. ;)

Its like trying to turn a 800 square foot house into a 4 bedroom 2 bath home. It can be done, but you won't enjoy it.
Wow, I guess we don't use our cuddy in our 21' Wellcraft. :rolleyes:

To the OP, get what you want, Cuddies rule, and bowrider guys are just jealous and make silly statements like the one above.

skargo

Banned

Try this, get on board on even a 75 degree day and try laying down and taking a 30 minute nap. ;)

Weird, since you know all about cuddies, how did you miss the fact that when I am anchored into the breeze, all I have to do is open my hatch and a nice breeze comes into mine. Mine is almost NEVER hot.

Please stop with your prejudiced opinions, you sound like you are talking straight out of your backside ;)

p.s. I REALLY enjoy how you haters, despite the OP saying he WANTS A CUDDY, still interject your opinions that have nothing to do with the thread. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Kids love cuddy cabins. They climb in there are are asleep in no time. And they get out of the sun. Two big advantages over a bow rider.

I too have not experienced a hot cabin. Just open the hatch and the breeze blows through. Even after being anchored at the beach all day.

I took the tri-fold door off my cabin because it was never used, and it was HEAVY!!!!

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am just considering a cuddy 20 foot SeaRay , after having a all open boat to have the small cabin to keep all your stuff in and a warm out of the wind place for people to shelter in,a small loo etc.. seems ideal ..

Best of both worlds i would think ..

shrew

Lieutenant

Cuddies too hot, dank and unusable. That is interesting. I have never had this experience before. The shelter from sun and rain, parrticularly if you get caught in bad weather is great. Most have a head, even if it's just a porta-potttie. most will overnight at least 2 people. I find that once you're out on the hook and open the hatches it's cool and comfortable in there.

What I find particularly nice is there is a place to chuck bags and stuff and generally get most stuff out of the way. This is particularly the case when friends and family come onboard.

skargo

Banned

Cuddies too hot, dank and unusable. That is interesting. I have never had this experience before. The shelter from sun and rain, parrticularly if you get caught in bad weather is great. Most have a head, even if it's just a porta-potttie. most will overnight at least 2 people. I find that once you're out on the hook and open the hatches it's cool and comfortable in there.

What I find particularly nice is there is a place to chuck bags and stuff and generally get most stuff out of the way. This is particularly the case when friends and family come onboard.

The people that say they are hot, dank, unusable, have no place on a boat DON'T OWN THEM. They are just trying to justify to themselves their decision to buy a bow rider, not sure why, some level of insecurity no doubt.

I know I've stuffed the bow of my Nova, and if I had a bowrider my boat would have been full of water.

To each their own, if someone wants a cuddy great, if someone else wants a bowrider, great as well.

We're all boat owners to enjoy ourselves, not to bag on each other's choice of boats.

Well, I guess I really like the cuddy idea because i plan on going for weekend trips with the boat out on the lakes... I really guess that only a cuddy could do this where it has a place to sleep.... but if i was only using it for fishing or day fun a bowrider would be great...

but back to the first question
when do you go from a usable fishing/tubing/overnighter boat to something just to big?

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMO, the convience to trailer drops off when you go from a 24' to a 26'. Also the effort to fish/tube. Just what I think.

Terry