How Big Is Too Big?

Looking At Trading Off My Motorcycle but not sure what is too big for a boat???
is 19? 20? 21? or so on... Looking at geting a cabin cuddy style to be used for boat with family and little fishing

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How Big Is Too Big?

Too big to.... ..... .... What?
yea, what exactly do u wanna do with it. from what i under stand, a 20-23' dual console sounds good for you. quick for all the fun family stuff with enough room for a few to fish.

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Totally depends on your situation. What are you towing with? How many people does it need to accommodate? Do you mind being cramped, or do you want to spread out a bit. In my opinion, I definitely wouldn't go less than 20' if it's for a family.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I think the 245 Ciera Express cabin cruiser by Bayliner is a great family boat. But this might be too big because you will need a large vehicle to tow it, llike a F150 or similar. But they can be found in good shape for as little as 10K, if you don't mind an older model.

l_000_1646.jpg

This 18ft cuddy is nice too, and can be handled by a smaller SUV. Around 6K used.

l_VP1634353_1.jpg

The truth is that there are not many manufacturers making Cuddy Cabins in the smaller 17-18 foot size, they are all 20-22 feet now. So if you want a smaller cuddy, you are looking at a 1990's model year or older.

Hope this helps.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

indexGraphic1.jpg

Viking 82...nah, not to big...
1sm088doubleup.gif

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

i was in your situation three seasons ago; I was dead sure I wanted a cuddy cabin - until I started checking them out. Small, dank, hot - we would never spend any time in the cabin so it was wasted space.

Decided on the open bowed yamaha SX230 - versatile and roomy - no wasted space at all,

good luck on the search

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bought my 20' open bow two seasons ago thinking it would be big enough. now with a family of 5 and relatives that seem to go out on every trip I wish I had a 22' or 24'.

I think go with the larger if you are ok towing and handling it.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a 16.5 foot for my family of 3, its a great starter, but after using it a few times I realize I want something larger. I will probably sell it at the end of next season to get a 20+ footer, or a 24+ cruiser (if I have the $$).

My advice is get something decent and cheap, because you wont know what you need until you get out a few times.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

cabins on small boats are seldom used much or practical, and take up valuable hangnig out and moving around space (on boats under 24). Focus on what you really want a cabin for, if you aren't sleeping in it or doing a lot of cold weaterh boating, look for something else. There are lots of ways to get shade shelter and privacy--center console w/ T top is one of the best.

From my experiance and that of clients, any Cuddy below 22' - 23' has no reason to exist. ;)

Haven't ever been to Alaska, huh? Trust me, when you're trolling salmon in 20mph winds, and heavy rain, 45degrees out that little cabin is pretty nice. There are thousands of 20-24' cabin cruisers and cuddys running around here and they work really well. Take a look at what people are using in your area, and look for the same thing in your price range.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMO, Any boat I can't handle yourself is too big. If I find yourself NOT going out because I need helpers to launch, cast off, maintain, dock, retrieve, etc. then maybe I need a smaller boat. If you got enough help at hand on a regular basis, by all means, bigger may be better.

Larry

JoLin

Vice Admiral

well I am looking at a 23ft wellcraft

What KIND of 23' Wellcraft? Year? Model?

You still haven't described where you boat, how many passengers you want to accommodate, and what you intend to use it for.

Share- we love it :)

MushCreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If there are any women in the crew- you need a big enough cuddy for a head. When I had a very small cuddy, it was too hot and cramped to sleep in. But it had a potty, and that's all that mattered to some of the crew.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

No and have no plans of ever going there. I am at the point I can hardly stand winters in the lower mid-west. I can't imagine being on the water in those conditions just to catch a fish. :D

HAHAha, Come on now, whats a little cold weather. :D

Well I don't Know how well anyone knows maine but I live in the Lincoln Area So I am looking to use the boat for the larger lakes and maybe some ocean fishing/cruising. plus me and a few friend want to be able to go for weekend fishing trips on moosehead and other large lakes

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I had a 26' Fiberform Baja with a command bridge. Great Lake Powell boat but too heavy to pull around. I boat camp so my Carver mid cabin (23') works out great. But for day boating, an open bow probably makes more sense.