How big can I go??

KWS59

Cadet
Hello everyone,
Just picked up an older Mirro Craft 16 ft by about 6 ft wide, just the hull, I replaced the transom wood, there was no tag or ID plate... found numbers stamped in the aluminum. My question - what's the largest HP one would/should mount on this hull? Found a 70 HP Yamaha with all controls, etc for a decent price. Just wondering if this is too big for the boat.
Thanks (pics of hull and numbers attached)

Attachments

• IMG_5148.JPG
    IMG_5148.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5214.JPG
    IMG_5214.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 17

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Depends on how heavy the boat gets after adding floor, seats, etc. As a side console it would likely perform very well. Wouldn't go any more power than that though. I've owned similar sized side consoles with 40 & 50 HP motors and with three adults and all the gear these boats were not in anyones way. Good performance and reasonable economy.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
That looks like a Tournament Fisherman. It was rated for 80hp

dwco5051

Commander
Using two different rule of thumb calculations based on the dimensions you posted the max did come in around 75-80hp.

KWS59

Cadet
Depends on how heavy the boat gets after adding floor, seats, etc. As a side console it would likely perform very well. Wouldn't go any more power than that though. I've owned similar sized side consoles with 40 & 50 HP motors and with three adults and all the gear these boats were not in anyones way. Good performance and reasonable economy.
Thank you!

BWR1953

Admiral
That boat is about the same size as my Kingfisher, which is rated to 50HP.

It performs nicely with that size, but I'd love to bump it to a 70HP. However, that's illegal in Florida, so no joy for me. 🤪

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
NADA tables may tell you. Mirrocraft has a web site. Perhaps you can match it up to a current or older model.

16 foot aluminum rowboats used to be rated to 25HP.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Here are the specs from the 1980 Mirrocraft Brochure
img190a.jpg

KWS59

Cadet
That looks like a Tournament Fisherman. It was rated for 80hp
Thank you!
Hello everyone,
Just picked up an older Mirro Craft 16 ft by about 6 ft wide, just the hull, I replaced the transom wood, there was no tag or ID plate... found numbers stamped in the aluminum. My question - what's the largest HP one would/should mount on this hull? Found a 70 HP Yamaha with all controls, etc for a decent price. Just wondering if this is too big for the boat.
Thanks (pics of hull and numbers attached)
Thanks to all of you who replied, think I will go with the 70 HP..... more is better!!