Houston's newest BS policy

Kenneth Brown

Captain
HOUSTON -- Starting New Year's Day, stranded freeway motorists better get out the way because the tow truck is coming, whether they want it or not.<br /><br />Mayor Bill White's traffic-management plan declares all freeways are tow-away zones and the city has signed contracts with wrecker companies to patrol 29 freeway sections and immediately remove any stalled or wrecked cars. The program expands a pilot project that's been in place on the Katy Freeway since March. <br /><br />White said the policy will reduce traffic congestion created by stalled cars and crashes and is expected to reduce the potential for secondary wrecks.<br /><br />"Studies have shown that our freeways are much safer if we can get stalled and wrecked vehicles towed out of the way faster," White said during a news conference last week. "We think this will be a model for the country."<br /><br />Workers are installing 72 signs warning: "Disabled Vehicles Will Be Towed -- It's the Law."<br /><br />Councilman Michael Berry, chairman of the transportation committee, said motorists would notice an improvement in commute times.<br /><br />"The public told us they did not want to be stranded on a freeway that became a parking lot because one car ran out of gas or blew a tire," Berry said. "What a difference this is going to make in the day-to-day lives of our residents."<br /><br />Other city officials said the program would ease traffic congestion.<br /><br />Current city rules say a stalled vehicle may not be towed until a police officer arrives at the scene and requests a wrecker. Dealing with broken-down cars had not been a police priority and cars often sat for hours before being moved.<br /><br />"You will see a tremendous difference in the flow of traffic starting in January," said Joe Breshears, director of the Mayor's Office of Mobility.<br /><br />As part of the program, motorists no longer will be allowed to change a flat tire on the freeway shoulder, walk to the nearest gas station to obtain additional fuel or call their own help. The 11 companies that have the new city towing contracts are required to respond to all disabled vehicles within six minutes and promptly get them off the highway once authorized by a police officer at Houston TranStar, the region's traffic-control center.<br /><br />Drivers will be able to say where their cars should be taken, within 30 miles. They'll be charged $75 for the first five miles and $1.50 per mile thereafter.<br /><br />Members of auto clubs offering roadside assistance will no longer be allowed to wait for that service to show up. They will be towed by the city contractor and can get reimbursed later.<br /><br />AAA Texas will reimburse members for any police-ordered towing, said Anne O'Ryan, AAA Texas public and government affairs manager.<br /><br />AAA is talking with the city and its contract wreckers about setting up direct billing AAA members won't have to pay the bill as they're towed, but that issue won't be resolved by Saturday, O'Ryan said. <br /><br /><br />OK- My turn. If I have a flat I should be able to change it. If I am in a one lane road and I am right in the middle where no traffic can pass then by all means tow me. If I'm in a 4 lane and I am blocking one of the lanes with unfixable problems then go ahead and tow me. Allow people a chance.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Houston's newest BS policy

So, think of it this way, if there is a big traffic jam, real GRIDLOCK, declare that your car is stalled, get a tow and get thru all the traffic, make it to your lunch date on time. :) <br /><br /><br />i think its a great idea, for the councilman that is getting a kickback from his brothers towing company.

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What if you don't have $75 or a credit card? Do they impound the cars and charge more fees to poor people? Lots of crazy problems with this issue, but I do hate to see people getting killed because they got a flat tire and some other bozo can't stay in their own lane.

ob

Admiral

I'm wondering what the accident stats will show later from all of these wreckers sprinting to the scene and removing the cars.Sometimes that can be more dramatic than changing a flat.Another example IMO of a few dunces that sit on the shoulder performing a minor overhaul changing the rules for all of us dummies that don't have sense enough to look out for ourselves.I guess we'll just see how it works out since its already been decided.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> So, think of it this way, if there is a big traffic jam, real GRIDLOCK, declare that your car is stalled, get a tow and get thru all the traffic, make it to your lunch date on time. :) <br /><br /><br />i think its a great idea, for the councilman that is getting a kickback from his brothers towing company.
KB<br />Sounds like a sweet heart deal to me to!<br />You people should take a real close look at the contracts of the 11 towing companies. <br />If it looks like a cat, acts like a cat and walks like a cat. It is most likely a cat or Skunk! Which ever comes first!<br />Both have pretty tails and don't give a darn about the rest of the world! <br /> :D :D :D

D

DJ

AAA is talking with the city and its contract wreckers about setting up direct billing AAA members won't have to pay the bill as they're towed, but that issue won't be resolved by Saturday, O'Ryan said. <br />
And you can bet it never will be worked out.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

As the echos of the chiming bells fade, i begin to hear some familar words,"There was once a crooked man who walked a crooked mile...." subliminaly implanted you say? i'm not sure, <br />but it seems that Houston maybe or should be looking for a new mayor soon, preferably one that can walk a bit straight :(

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

If you have ever driven in Houston, you would welcome this. Idiot people get in wrecks and then back up traffic for miles cause they wont pay for a tow.<br /><br />The only problem I have with it, is that, the City of Houston should have to pay for the tow, then the city bill the person who was towed.<br /><br />The other thing that really pisses me off, is that people call for a tow when I can tell that they could drive thier car off the side of the road.<br /><br />Ken

ob

Admiral

While I agree there are instances where a vehicle should be towed clear of the freeway flow,particularly if stalled in a lane of traffic,I don't agree that it should pertain to every single incident.If I can coast to the shoulder clear of traffic and change a tire ,I don't want some yayhoo wrecker driver that I didn't call hooking up my vehicle and costing me a minimum of 75 dollars.Who's responsible for any scratches or scuffs the wrecker does to any vehicle?If it ain't a ramp type wrecker truck,I don't want my car hooked to it.<br />This is most definately not going to sit well with some situations and I predict a measure of resistance.<br /><br />Seems wrecker companies can now perpetuate their own income by scatttering nails up and down Houston freeways. :p

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Get used to initiatives like this folks. <br /><br />Because the pols are being told by us that we will not accept higher taxes, the pols will increase revenue through higher existing AND new FEES.<br /><br />To some degree the fee deal makes since because it is the actual beneficiary paying for the service. There are however fees for services that are paid by all that not all benefit from.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Moving a car off to the side of the freeway won't do a damned bit of good around the DFW area. People are too prone to gawking, and I swear most are not smart enough to be driving an automobile anyway.<br /><br />I'll bet I could paint a white stripe across Northeast Loop 820 and traffic would back up to Texarkana.<br /><br />Bring back Driver Education, and make it MANDATORY!<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Here in New Jersey there are state emergency service vehicles that patrol the heavily traveled sections of interstate highways. If you get a flat, break down, or need assistance, they provide it free of charge. If they can't get you going, then a tow truck is called. <br /><br />That is how NJ keeps the traffic flowing. Really surprised me when I found out. Maybe the state is trying to change its image?

Twidget

Commander

Moving a car off to the side of the freeway won't do a damned bit of good around the DFW area. People are too prone to gawking, and I swear most are not smart enough to be driving an automobile anyway.
I especially love the dolts who have to stop and look at the pretty lights on the other side of the freeway. :rolleyes: Nothing is more annoying than waiting through a traffic jam to find out the wreck was going the other way.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Here in Madison, WI they have a state trooper "patrol truck" ... he (cop) scoots around in a rigged up super duty ford with spare gas, floor jack, various tools and such to aid motorists with aqnd to keep things moving.<br /><br />All this because of our DUMB A$$ liberal capital and its civil engineers wet-dream solution to traffic congestion.. they could've put in an extra lane (both ways) crossing town on the 'beltline' but opted not to at the time when they were rebuilding their last f-up.<br /><br />No matter how you cut it.. the old sayin' stands true!<br /><br /> Buy'um books and buy'um more books only to find out that they can't read. <br /><br /> :D I feel your pain but, we're ignorant yankees here :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I agree that people on the side of the road do cause a slow down (do people lead such pathetic lives that they really want to see that guy chaning his tire).<br /><br />The major problem was the bozos who have wrecks in the lanes, and then refuse a tow, until one from the auto club comes, or just flat out refuse one period (my friend is coming with some rope :rolleyes: ). These bozos cause a huge backup for miles.<br /><br />Now they dont have a choice.<br /><br />Ken

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

What I hate is where folks have a minor fender bender in line. Guy behind yakking on his phone rolls into the bumper of the car ahead. <br /><br />Fault is obvious and damage in minimal but they refuse the move either vehicle until a cop comes along to referee the situation.<br /><br />I have an idea.<br /><br />Since many of us must carry prove of insurance or vehicle registration papers how about printing these forms on the backs of cheap, disposable cameras. Now when you have your traffic Faux Pax you can break out our instamatic and snap a couple of photos then get your traffic inpediment off to the side.<br /><br />Whadda ya think?

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can change a tyre in six minutes. Take the flat off and the tow truck driver wouldn't be able to make the tow.<br />If you're still sitting in the vehicle over there does that still give the towie the right to tow it?<br />Sounds like a bit of overkill to this Kiwi, but then again I don't have a problem with people fixing their own vehicles.Perhaps it's just a local issue. Sure hate to see that one adopted world wide though!<br />Ross

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Parrot, that was exactly the problem.<br /><br />I think they should go a step further and make the tow truck drivers carry digital cameras and take pics before the tow, and take drivers info after all cleared up. This would free up the officers to take care of more important issues.<br /><br />In fact, Houston cops wont respond to traffic accidents if there are no injuries.<br /><br />Ken

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Are the tow truck drivers armed? Bet lots of the motorists they encounter will be!<br /><br />What'll they do if they show up & your car is on the jack & you're already putting the lug nuts back on? If they don't tow you then they just wasted a service call. Will it be a race to finish before they drag your car off the jack & leave you & your young 'uns standing there along with all that stuff you had to unload out the trunk to get to the jack? and what's to keep any idiot with a tow truck from cruising the highways looking for breakdowns to steal?<br /><br />My observation is Houston traffic is the worst anywhere - slow traffic don't keep right, merging lanes don't merge, too many freeways don't have a shoulder. DFW area usually ain't like that at all, plus which, you pass a city limit sign about every half mile so there's no way to enforce that kind of s''t.<br /><br />good luck guys!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

You would be suprised at the idiots who change their tire on the sholder that is in the middle of the divided freedway. With about an inch to spare they cram in there facing certain death if someone gets a little too close.<br /><br />Ken