Houseboat steering cable

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all! I've taken on a job to replace the steering cable on an older 40' Stardust Cruiser. I'm sure it hasn't ever been replaced because I'm running across wires that have been zip tied to the cable in inaccessible places. Oh well, I'll figure it out.
My problem is this, I've changed several cables on boats, but never came across this style. The helm has to be disassembled to remove the cable because it is bent 90° and is inserted into the gear. Also this helm doesn't turn 360°, the gears limit the biggest to about 45°, about 5 turns of the wheel. Can anyone identify and is this style cable available?IMG_20230318_155610640.jpg IMG_20230318_155651682.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... As with any other old boat, use a helm, 'n cable Kit,.....

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Bondo, that's what I was afraid of.
With the price of the 38' cable and a helm assy I would be getting close to the price of one of the Vevor hydraulic system. Anyone have any experience with these? Reviews are good, looks like a knock off.

kenny nunez

Captain
That looks like a Det Mar or a Marmac rotary which I am sure is long out of production.
I would look into the Optimus electric steering instead of hydraulic. It is not cheap but easier to install.

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That looks like a Det Mar or a Marmac rotary which I am sure is long out of production.
I would look into the Optimus electric steering instead of hydraulic. It is not cheap but easier to install.
Optimus.....that's not gonna happen! I don't think this ol steel hull houseboat will bring much over the $7995 price tag. It's gonna be hard to talk the attorney that this thing belongs to into the cheapest hydraulic.

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ayuh,...... As with any other old boat, use a helm, 'n cable Kit,.....
Hey Bondo, any idea where I can find a 38' kit? After hours here and the longest cable I can find is 30' online and kits are 24'.

Bondo

Staff member
Donno,..... Ya might have to call sea star, or teliflex,....

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well....that was a bust. Special order item and 8-10 weeks lead time. That cheap Chinese knockoff hydraulic system is looking better.

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well....I ordered one of the Vevor hydraulic systems thinking that I could just hook the two 20' hoses that come with the kit together and buy another 40' hose. Fittings for the special marine hydraulic steering hose seem to be on national backorder with lead times of 3-6 months. Finally was able to procure the necessary fittings through a local source. Installation was a breeze, even bleeding the air out wasn't difficult by myself.
All said I ended up about $20 cheaper than a replacement cable and helm.
The system works great and the owner couldn't be happier.
Only time will tell as to the quality and endurance of this unit, but the boat is for sale and I might never know.