House Paint Cost . . .

tpenfield

Staff member
I haven't bought interior house paint in a while, but we decided to re-paint the dining room.

So, the Admiral stops by the paint store to get the paint . . . 3 gallons of Ben Moore . . . 2 flat for the walls and one semi-gloss for the trim . . .

$152.00 :eek: :eek: :eek:. . . that's like $47/gallon + tax

So, I guess it has been a while since we bought interior paint, as I recall it was around $35 for Ben Moore. What happened??? :mad:

Looks like we'd be going to Lowes when the time comes for the next room.

rickryder

Commander
Re: House Paint Cost . . .

Yeah Ted all of the major brands have hit the roof in pricing... My painter is buying Wally mart paint now....

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I haven't bought interior house paint in a while, but we decided to re-paint the dining room.

So, the Admiral stops by the paint store to get the paint . . . 3 gallons of Ben Moore . . . 2 flat for the walls and one semi-gloss for the trim . . .

$152.00 :eek: :eek: :eek:. . . that's like $47/gallon + tax

So, I guess it has been a while since we bought interior paint, as I recall it was around $35 for Ben Moore. What happened??? :mad:

Looks like we'd be going to Lowes when the time comes for the next room.

I hate painting, but there are a few paint jobs that I have to do myself.
If there is anything that I have learned over the years, it is that the cost of the paint is a very small part of the overall cost of the job.
Don't nickel and dime on paint.
Moore is as good as it gets.

oldjeep

Admiral

Ben Moore and Sherwin Williams = gold plated paint cans. Try Behr paint from home depot next time, gets you down to about $30 a gallon for a quality paint.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Home Depot bought Behr a few years ago and has dumped a lot of money into it to get it out of the hole it was in. Their paints with the primer "Built In" really cover well and will amaze you. I don't know if they're as good as Benjamin Moore yet but they're pretty darn close and the price makes enough of a difference to me to say that I'd probably favor the Behr.

HopinImFloatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Moore paint is best in my opinion, its all i use now, but I was not happy with how thick it was and how quickly it dried when using it on trim though,(left brush marks even with very expensive brushes) until i added a product called Flotrol. Its sold at home depot or the paint store and is used to sort of thin the paint or really make it flow better and increase the dry time a bit so it levels out a bit better. HUGE difference when painting trim I thought. Just makes really good paint even better. My 2 cents

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

Good call on the flotrol, I use it all the time if I`m spraying paint too.

tpenfield

Staff member

Well, I gotta say that I am not a fan of the Behr paint at HD. I've used it a few times and have not liked it (other than the price).

I have used Moore on the interior and Pratt & Lambert on the exterior of my house. . . however, P&L is getting harder to find lately.

I'll look for the Flotrol at HD next I am there.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

As a proffessional high-end custom house painter for 30 years among other things. I use Ben. Moore products exclusively. There are other good paints on the market but home depot or lowes ain't one of them. Home Depot paint with primer ( practically all paints are now ) has no flow out charateristics; it doesn't spread. When it dries you can see the brush strokes. I was forced to use it on a high-end remodel with enormous amounts of trim - nightmare. We had to lightly sand everything, and go back over with Ben Moore Impervo.
I use Aura $67.00 a gallon, contractor price. It's color holds for years, and years - keeps looking fresh. It lays down so nice, but with all low voc ( volitile organic compounds ) it dries up super fast, and it is hard to keep a wet edge - impossible in direct sunlight unless you are just painting a board.
use to be 20% of total for paint - now it's 35%. Oil - $80.00 a gallon - almost like boat paint. When petroleum goes up,
paint goes significantly. Ben Moore is definately worth the xtra in my opinion.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Dunn-Edwards is my brand of choice. I like BM oil based enamel for trim work also but I can only buy it in quarts in California because of emmision laws.

I really dislike Lowes and HD paint. For the difference in price, you get a more quality product, easier application and better looking results.

I have a couple rental houses so I just go in using my rental house business name and they always give me contractor's prices. Just make up a businees name, say you have rental houses and ask them if they can give you a contractor's price.

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here in Tempe, AZ The city runs a Haz-mat collection facility. Residents can get all kinds of free supplies, can not be too picky about the color thou. :rolleyes:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Behr is nice to work with but the coverage of their whites is horrible. As in it takes 3 coats to make an already white door look nice :mad: Had a painter do some work for me and he recommended Valspar. Been pleased so far with that. To be fair, I've always had excellent results with Behr colors, just their white sucks. I've used paint from pretty much everywhere over the years: Wal-Mart, Sears, etc. and never really had much of an issue.

I used some of that Dutch Boy ceiling paint that goes on pink and then turns white....that was a bit of a disaster :p. Did my deck last year with Flood "stain".....now that stuff is total garbage.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yup, Behr white is hoorible, but I learned that if you put just the slightest tint in it, it covers just as good as any other color.

bigdee

Commander

Yeah Ted all of the major brands have hit the roof in pricing... My painter is buying Wally mart paint now....

Walmart has change thier paint supplier from Sherwin-Williams to AkzoNobel which is also the supplier for Glidden. I painted my house exterior about 10 years ago with wally paint and it has held up. I painted the trim with Sherwin-williams and had to go back to get more but they were out of the base color so the salesman sent me to walmart to get the same base color! He told me to keep it quiet...yeah right! I have used Glidden inside and liked it better then S-W.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

As a proffessional high-end custom house painter for 30 years among other things. I use Ben. Moore products exclusively. There are other good paints on the market but home depot or lowes ain't one of them. Home Depot paint with primer ( practically all paints are now ) has no flow out charateristics; it doesn't spread. When it dries you can see the brush strokes. I was forced to use it on a high-end remodel with enormous amounts of trim - nightmare. We had to lightly sand everything, and go back over with Ben Moore Impervo.
I use Aura $67.00 a gallon, contractor price. It's color holds for years, and years - keeps looking fresh. It lays down so nice, but with all low voc ( volitile organic compounds ) it dries up super fast, and it is hard to keep a wet edge - impossible in direct sunlight unless you are just painting a board.
use to be 20% of total for paint - now it's 35%. Oil - $80.00 a gallon - almost like boat paint. When petroleum goes up,
paint goes significantly. Ben Moore is definately worth the xtra in my opinion.

No argument from me on this. Benjamin Moore is definitely the best choice for the professional where quality of workmanship is key to reputation. I was putting it in the perspective of the average homeowner without professional skills who was looking for an acceptable result. Realistically, from 20 feet away you can't see the brush strokes and joe smith driving past your house isn't going to stop, ring your door bell and tell you your paint job is lousy. However, a consumer whose paying a painter to paint their home is going to look at those brush strokes and not be a happy camper.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Behr is nice to work with but the coverage of their whites is horrible. As in it takes 3 coats to make an already white door look nice :mad: Had a painter do some work for me and he recommended Valspar. Been pleased so far with that. To be fair, I've always had excellent results with Behr colors, just their white sucks. I've used paint from pretty much everywhere over the years: Wal-Mart, Sears, etc. and never really had much of an issue.

I used some of that Dutch Boy ceiling paint that goes on pink and then turns white....that was a bit of a disaster :p. Did my deck last year with Flood "stain".....now that stuff is total garbage.

We've used interior paint from just about everywhere too with no issues. Just painted the inside of the house a couple years ago with Hardware Hank Supreme.....

We used Kilz ceiling paint that went on pink. Really liked it....

We also used Flood CWF stain on the house. I must say, I like it. Painted a cabin with the same stuff and the owner liked it too. My buddy has been using the same stuff for years also. I need to restain the house this year. This time I'm using CWF-UV5. Should last longer than the CWF. Still, the CWF lasted around 6 years...... One thing about CWF, it's not as runny as other brands.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ben Moore is generally the best. Been using it for years. Thanks to the EPA it constantly gets reformulated and the price continues to go up.
I used the new "Advance" low voc last year for the first time. A bit of a learning curve. Once you get used to spraying it, it flows out nicely. Runs very easy. The lack of smell is nice for the customer. I have never brushed it but apparently it flows out very well.

I have tried HD and Lowes paints, numerous times, when forced by the customer. In short, they suck.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I've painted 3 rooms this year and used Glidden on two, and Valspar on one. Of the two, I preferred the Glidden for coverage, and Valspar for their color availability. The Valspar was very thick, but over white it didn't cover in one coat.

Next, on to the exterior, where I've pretty much settled on Valspar Duramax. I'm scraping and prepping now.