House colors and temperatures?

ZmOz

Captain
So I need to paint my house this summer. (or rather, have it painted ;) ) Right now it's kind of an off white color...which I don't really like...but it reflects the sun really well. In the summer it can get mighty toasty inside...and the only AC is a couple window units.

If I was to go with a dark paint color...will that will have a big effect on the inside temperature? (and, more importantly, the electric bill) Of course, no matter what color I go with the roof will still be black...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: House colors and temperatures?

Theoretically a darker color would collect more heat in the summer and winter when sun is on it.

Big difference how much sun hits it. Deciduous shade trees make a big difference because they allow sun on the dwelling in the winter and shade it in the summer.

How much difference? Probably not much if you are well insulated. The black roof will make a lot more difference than the color of the walls. Shade on the roof is a big plus, but tall trees close to the house present some risk.

ZmOz

Captain

Unfortunately the south side is the largest flat area on the house...and it gets a ton of direct sun. I did have some shade but I had to cut down my big old apple tree this winter.:|

It doesn't make much difference what color it is in the winter since it's cloudy about 275 days a year. :/

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Cloudy 275 days! Sounds like Europe.

If that is the case then go with any color you want to. Darks do absorb and a black roof must be a killer!

Try softer colors..

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually, the emissivity (ability to absorb heat) is more related to surface texture than color. A flat paint will absorb more heat than a gloss paint. But glossy houses look funny to us. I would go with a semi gloss, and pick what ever color I wanted that wouldn't run me out of the neighborhood association. lol. The same goes for roofs, it isn't the color, it is the roofing material.

good luck,
fp

xtraham

Lieutenant

doesn't anyone know why boats, houses etc. were always painted white
the darker colors will cause the wood to dry, warp, seperate, crack,check etc.
and shorten the life of wood

geckogeek

Seaman Apprentice

What is your house sided with? With wood I might suggest a solid stain.....what ever colour you want.

Vinyl siding must be coated with LATEX about the same shade of colour or lighter because of the extra expansion the darker shades will create.
When the vinyl expands farther than the J-channel can handle it will buckle really bad.

Aluminium or Masonite (cardboard) I think you can do whatever.

I would suggest Benjamin Moores Top line Exterior "Soft Gloss". Has a very nice sheen.....I use it all the time

Coors

Captain

A buddy of mine, here in north Fl, went with semi-gloss white, and besides lasting longer than flat, he said the a/c bill went down 9%. and it lasts longer( I helped paint the time before the semi-gloss).

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Heat transfer thru the wall insulation is the real issue. If the walls are adequately insulated the interior temp should not be effected. Same goes for roof colors and attic ventilation/insulation.

ZmOz

Captain

The house is sided with cedar, and it's insulated pretty well with 2x6 walls. I'm thinking about a dark-ish green-ish color, which seems to be pretty common around here since we're basically in the woods. It really won't make that much difference though, even when it is sunny it's rarely over 85.

geckogeek

Seaman Apprentice

2x6 wall should give you at least an R21 or so just in bat insulation(or whatever).

I say do what looks good.....It may cost an extra $100 a year in AC but you look at the siding everyday....along with everyone else in the neighbourhood. I like dark colours personally.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

:D
So I need to paint my house this summer. (or rather, have it painted ;) ) Right now it's kind of an off white color...which I don't really like...but it reflects the sun really well. In the summer it can get mighty toasty inside...and the only AC is a couple window units.

If I was to go with a dark paint color...will that will have a big effect on the inside temperature? (and, more importantly, the electric bill) Of course, no matter what color I go with the roof will still be black...
:D Spoken like a true web foot, now ZmOZ you know we have a average temp of 80 degree's with no humidity, but then again we have that 2 week blister of 85-90 degree heat it might pay to just put on a light colored roof that is where your heat build up comes from. You could also install some high speed attic fan's to disapate the heat. or just turn up the air for those 2 week's...........:cool: Painting you house a dark color will not heat her up like your roof does...

Last edited:

Ron G

Commander

I agree with tail gunner paint it whatever color you want,your location it should'nt make that much of a difference,but the attic fans are the way to go.and if i was you i would look into the whole house fans they would benfit you year round!

Link

Rear Admiral

I agree with tail gunner paint it whatever color you want,your location it should'nt make that much of a difference,but the attic fans are the way to go.and if i was you i would look into the whole house fans they would benfit you year round!

I agree pretty much with all who posted.
You can also put a air intake vent in a hall and use the attic fan to cool off the whole house in about 2 minutes.

In our area here in the NW where AC isn't required except a couple months a year this is a popular option.

We started doing this about ten years ago and now the attic fans are even put on a thermostat.