pulling 1981 400 O/D. Cable stuck......

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am pulling a 400, 1981 OMC from a 2.5l and the cable is stuck. It is disconnected from the shift box, and pulled away from the int housing, but the end cap is 3 times bigger than the hole it needs to go through! HELP. -Jeff

SeaSkwurrel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: pulling 1981 400 O/D. Cable stuck......

What do you mean by end cap? It should just be the rubber cable with the 2 small cables sticking out.

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a large approximately 1.5 inch square brass box that inserts into the shift box with the cables sticking out. Cant remove it that I could see. Didn't want to pry too hard. The cables didn't slide out of box, as I thought they would. I had to remove the cotter pin to get the brass box out of the shift box. The spring took it from there. The nice thing so far is every bolt except one came off easy, and everything looks clean so far. <br /><br />Ideas to removing the brass box?<br /><br /><br />Thanks-Jeff

KaGee

Admiral

Not familiar with your description...<br /><br />There as been an evolution in the shift adapter.<br />Perhaps a picture of what you have will help.<br /><br />I can tell you how my cable comes out of mine, but yours may be different.

SeaSkwurrel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think I know what you're referring to-that part should stay in it's housing. I had the same issue. Did you have to tap out a pin as well to get it out? I think the cable's just stuck a little bit. you should be able to pull on the fitting to get it off. The rubber cable's pretty tough so as long as you pull straight away from the cable, you can put some force into it.

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a retaining pin that I punched out, but the cotter pin you put in when you push the cable into the box is what let it out for me. I'll take a closer look and see what works, thanks, appreciate the help.-Jeff

SeaSkwurrel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That retaining pin should stay in. That was my mistake too. That's what releases that brass square housing. The tensioner pawls then allow it to come out. You don't want it to come out though.

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

I removed the spring from the tensioner, so it hung loose. The cable wouldn't budge from the brass housing. I figured maybe you had to release it and the cables would be free, but the spring sent them out together. When I get out there I'll see what I can figure out. Did you have a hard time rea-adjusting the cable once the O/D was re-installed, or was it pretty easy?

SeaSkwurrel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Same here. I was afraid to pull too hard. The cable goes back in easily without adjustment. As long as you put it back together the way it came out, you should have no problem. Unless you are removing the cable form the lower unit shift housing. Then you have to be real careful.

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just pulled the lower from the upper, (I picked up the brass box, tugged and it slipped right into my hand). Cable freed from upper unit, etc etc. All splines are absolutely clean and have a ton of bite. So much for that theory. Water pump impellor is perfect, don't have one handy, will go get one. <br /><br />Next, I guess is the engine coupler......or for sale. <br /><br />Any other suggestions?<br /><br />Sysmptoms are at all rpm except idle O/D skips. No bang, thud or anything. The engine doesn't skip but the O/D does. Really need a bit of help here. Thanks-Jeff

SeaSkwurrel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

By skip, what exactly do you mean? Is it making any grinding noises, or just not engaging at all?

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

The O/D engages, you go along and then a quick skip. The drive gives a slight bump, but no bang or anything. It stays in gear. Tried 2 props (thought of prop spin). I was told to check the splines of the water pump shaft as they are know to strip, but they are really clean.

SeaSkwurrel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There are splines also at the other end of the water pump shaft (connects to the upper bearing housing. You might check there. And your swivel housing splines look ok? The coupler or driveshaft splines could be a problem as well. Or some upper or lower gear damage. So many possibilities!

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

right......I did not take the upper apart. I pulled the bottom plate and checked the splines there, and on the insertion end with my finger. A-OK. Should I take the upper apart, or will I need special tools to re-assemble it?

SeaSkwurrel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So you pulled the water pump housing? I thought maybe you only checked the outer shaft splines. How's your gearcase oil (upper & lower)? Does it look clean-no water or metal shavings? You could pull apart the upper or lower, but I couldn't tell you exactly what to look for. You'd definitely want a manual or two. Boomyal knows an OMC expert in Vancouver that you could get some opinions from.<br />
(posted by Boomyal) Ryans Marine on Marine Dr, right by the west end of the runway. He's been at it since the beginning and knows them inside out. He likes to make money but will answer questions as long as he doesn't feel that you are pumping him for major do it yourself work. He'll even let you watch the work if you ask him. <br /><br />Steve @ 503 282 8807

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

I havn't had the chance to call him. He suggested him to me too. I just put it all away for the night. <br /><br />Upper looks good, except for water intrusion. I hear theres no getting around that on these. Have you ever worked on the hydro assist in the lower? Boomer suggested sending it to the guy he knows, but that'll cost me more in shipping than the boat is worth! He does something to the assist that supposedly works. <br /><br />Could a mis-adjusted cable cause this problem you think? I wonder if maybe it was just slightly off and made it jump.

SeaSkwurrel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, I've never done more than pull the cable housing off the lower. Based on what I've seen, I'd be surprised if the cable had anything to do with it. I'm probably going to get into my lower soon though. I've got a different problem-hard shifting and hard to find neutral. I thought the cable was bad, but pulled it and it was fine. Something bad's going on in the lower. Should be interesting...