Hour Meter Wiring

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1978 Mercruiser 140. Simple hour meter with two wires. Just double checking. Is One wire to ground and one wire to ignition switch correct way of connecting?

johnkom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I wired my hour meter a little differently. Since you are supposed to run the engine vent fan for several minutes before engine start, the electric choke would always be in the full hot position since the key had to be on to run the fan. I decided to wire the electric choke power through the oil pressure switch. While at it I wired the hour meter that way too. Then it only runs when the engine is actually running. See my schematic.

Attachments

• 233 Modified Wiring for Hour Meter and Choke Delay.jpg
    233 Modified Wiring for Hour Meter and Choke Delay.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 21

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I wired my hour meter a little differently. Since you are supposed to run the engine vent fan for several minutes before engine start, the electric choke would always be in the full hot position since the key had to be on to run the fan. I decided to wire the electric choke power through the oil pressure switch. While at it I wired the hour meter that way too. Then it only runs when the engine is actually running. See my schematic.
Yeah, I get that if you wire it to the ignition that it will log false time if you have key in with it not running and that it’ll add the bit of time we run the fan and not the engine. But we can live with that. (It’s a 1978!)

Scott06

Admiral
Normally the blower is run direct from the Bat (thru fuse) so key ON is not required
Exactly. I never had a boat wired so the key had to be on for the blower to run, should be hot all the time

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
agreed blower should be able to run any time the batteries are on

half the boats in existence do not have an hour meter.

my key switch has an accessory position that I use for accessory loads. ignition is only for engine ignition, gauges and the hour meter.

Hour meter is only used as a rough measure for maintenance.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Never really understood the hour meter. 100 hours at idle isn't the same as 100 hours of watersports. Same thing with mileage in cars... I'll take 100k highway over 20k city (or my wife driving) any day.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
This is how you should wire a boat...

IMG_20220216_220950_215.jpg

AKJohne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hour meter could be wired to a oil pressure switch, that way the clock is only ticking when the engine is actually running, more wires to the helm unless you put the Hobbs meter near the motor.