Hot spots

old bird

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1977 26' Formula, twin 454's, MercTrans II, TRS drives. Raw water cooled.
It's plumbed pretty much like an inboard (thru hull pickup, belt driver pumps).
Port engine, rubber exhaust hose (about 12" long) from the riser/elbow to the y pipe is cookin, 200 +. on the top section of hose .The engine is cool, manifold and riser/elbow are cool, This engine had the t-stat housing with 6 nipples , 2 to bottom of manifold, 2 to top of manifold, 2 to riser/elbow. I replaced that with the newer kind, 4 nipples, ran 2 to bottom off manifold and 2 to the Elbow. The starboard engine has this t-stat housing, but with 2 hoses to the TOP of the manifold and 2 to the elbow. Rebuilt the raw rater pump and replaced Manifold and elbow. this week. Still have the problem.
I appreciate any suggestions or questions.
Larry

alldodge

Staff member
Just to try and get started is your original cooling system was as in the pic below, correct? Also lets work on the Port first
330 TRS cooling.jpg

Two on top and two on bottom of the manifold and replaced with 2 on the bottom of the manifold and two to the elbow. Which ones on the thermostat were not used?

Would also like to know the motor serial number if you have it for clarification

Last edited:

old bird

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Dodge, That is the same as my old t-stat housing. but, I have center rise . it was plumbed 2 to bottom of mani. 2 to top and 2 to elbow. It now has t-stat houising 87110 and is re-plumbed to 2 to bottom of mani. and 2 to elbow. I got a picture but havn't figured how to download.

Oh, don't have serial #, but there regular old 454 mark IV 330 hp.

Last edited:

old bird

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here's a try.
photos

Nope, that's not it.

Last edited: