hot motor questions

jgrigs99

Cadet
I have a 1970 Chrysler 7.5hp ob and I have not put it on the water since my Dad loaned (gave) it to me. It will always start in under 4 pulls. When it starts and I let it run a 5-10 minute, with water wings on it, the lower part of the motor gets hot. There is a steady stream of water coming from the coolant vents (Iguess that's what those holes where water comes out are called. Is this normal and if so, how hot should that casing get?<br /><br />I saw a red moon the other night JB ;) :rolleyes:

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: hot motor questions

I guess the answer depends on how hot is hot. Can you touch it, or is it too hot to touch? All motors get pretty warm, this isn't an easy question to answer. Take it out and run it. If it never loses power under full throttle, and there is always water exiting the tell-tale, then you are okay. If the power falls off after a bit under full throttle and load, then you have a cooling problem. Out in the water under your normal operating conditions is the only really good way to asess the motors condition. Motors always seem to do great in the driveway, and have a bad habit of showing you their dark side out in the water...Good luck

jgrigs99

Cadet
Re: hot motor questions

Thanks, Jason,<br /><br />I plan on putting it on the water next week and I'll let you know how it turns out. It is not too hot to touch and the water out of the tell-tale is very hot, not boiling , but pretty hot. I was given the owner's manual to it today and I think I need to changet eh grease in the lower unit before I hit the high seas!! ;) :eek: <br /><br />Talk to you later,<br /><br />Jeff