hot mercs

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have a pair of 96' 150hp V6 mercs (carbed), both run warmer than I'm comfortable with under throttle over 2000 rpm's. Both run cooler at idle. Both have entirely new water pumps (housing/gaskets/impellers) less than 16 months old (and this is the reason I put them in, they have always done this). Took to dealer a while back for maintenance and asked to check temp while there. Said all was OK, said as long as alarm does not go off it'll be fine. Engines run as hot as 175-180 F under full throttle, back down to 150 F or so at idle if you trust temp gages. Clymer manual says thermostat is 145 F and engines should not exceed 20 degrees above thermostat rating. Alarm never goes off, but I do exceed 165F. I've read the manual till my eyes cross, and the way I understand it.. is that the poppit valve takes over as the main temp controler under pressure (high RPM). What's your best guess at what might need looking into? or is all OK as the dealer said? One more thing, Clymer says to test the overheat alarm by grounding the tan/blue wire, it sounds when grounded, is that assurance enough it will work if it gets too hot??? All replies welcomed.

gw204

Seaman
Re: hot mercs

If you are running in saltwater, and I assume you are, change your thermostats. Salt build up can cause them to stick open or closed or somewhere in the middle.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If the thermostats don't cure it you may want to take a look at the pop off valve. In the past we have cured this problem by reducing the spring pressure. But only after verifying the entire cooling system (including t'stats) is correct.<br /><br />Good luck!

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, thermos are only 2-3 years old and I flush with fresh water after every use. I'll give em a look then move on to that pop off valve.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

grandx, under about 1300 rpm's the poppet valve stays closed to maintain a steady supply of water to the top of the block...over that there is more than enough supply to cover demand....the thermostats help regulate temp at low rpm's,if you are having trouble holding temp's down at cruising speed, pull the t stats and see if it helps.....if you are running in warm water, temps do creep up....

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

ODDD1,<br />temps do creep up.... what are you trying to tell me??? is this is normal (water surface temp is about 83-85 now)? thats what the merc guy basically told me. If I pull the thermos then I'll probably run too cool at idle or slow trolling, run the risk of fouling plugs right?