HOT Hose???

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Recently one of my volvo penta 5.7gs motors overheated and hydrolocked. I tore down the top half of the motor..... nothing bent..... Had the heads redone at the motor shop.... reassembled everything, new head gaskets, intake gaskets, etc.

The engine has always run COOL up until the overheating... ended up being a plugged bypass in the thermostat housing.. got that fixed tonight. After I fixed that, I let the engine run up to temp and idle for a while. Everything seems great, except THIS hose is VERY hot......

hot_hose.jpg
The hose coming out of the other side of the exhaust riser is warm but not as HOT. After running for a while at temp, it may have gotten a little cooler.... but still very hot.

What are these hoses doing, running to the flame arrestor on the carb.....???

Thoughts?

Phil

Attachments

• hot_hose.jpg
    hot_hose.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 0

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
They are check valves. If you stick the end of the hose that's by the flame arrester in your mouth, you should be able to blow but not suck threw it. Sounds like the overheat might have damaged it.

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
They are check valves. If you stick the end of the hose that's by the flame arrester in your mouth, you should be able to blow but not suck threw it. Sounds like the overheat might have damaged it.

Wouldn't it be "sucking" at the flame arrestor side, not blowing?

Phil

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
No. It is there to relive vacuum in the exhaust system so it won't suck in water. That's why I think it's compromised and allowing exhaust gasses out and getting hot. But that's just a guess on my part. Why don't you try the test on both of them and see?

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I removed the valve.... Its not "easy" but I can suck and blow through the valves... both sides.. By not easy, I mean i Can suck through it, but if i try hard.... blowing seems to be the same resistence.....

Phil

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you can blow through it imagine what a constant supply of engine exhaust can do........it's about the same thing as a smog pump check valve from a vehicle, allows air in the exhaust but not the other way. Usually they have some sort of rubberized seal, if you overheated it is most likely burnt out. Being that yu can blow through it and it's getting hot it's letting exhaust fumes into your engine compartment. I'd replace them. I'm not sure when VP started or stopped using them, my 5.0Gi doesn't have them.

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
There's probably a GM part number on it, and it looks a lot like a Standard Ignition AV9...........not sure about the threads.