HOSE HELP!!!!

torpedoseal

Cadet
I am running a 2004 Mercury 150L HP. I was told that the oil storage tank is a pressurized system. I want to move the tank about 3ft aft to accomidate a new storage compartment. In order to do it, I'll have to change where the intake tube for the oil tank comes from. In so doing I'll need a 20 inch hose rather than the 3 inch hose that is currently on it. My question is this; Can I use any type of tubing for the intake hose? Since it's under pressure do I need to do something special? Does anyone know where I can buy that type of hose? Thanks I'm pretty new to all this.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: HOSE HELP!!!!

I'd check on that. When you shut the motor off, and take off the oil filler cap real quick, do ya hear it 'whoosh' as the pressure releases?<br />Presurizing a tank instead of pumping its contents out is very unusual. <br /><br /><br />Usually a oil tank is vented, and the oil is pumped into the fuel system. Similar to the fuel/ carb. setup.<br /><br />A quick check is to look in the book, see what it says about the subject. Look for a mechanism that does indeed presurize the tank-- if none is there, then see if the engine runs with a lose oil tank cap (whip up a little pre-mix fuel just in case it runs without the oil system pumping). There should be alarms and shut-offs if the oil system isn't delivering.<br /><br />If the tank just has a vent and a outlet tube, there's no reason you can't move it as long as the hose diameter is large enough to get a good flow over the extra distance, and you don't mount it so low the pump can't suck it up to the engine.