Horses

eeboater

Commander
Well I just got back from visiting my parents in Ohio. If you don't already know, they have their own horse-farm in their backyard. <br /><br />I just love horses. I wish I could spend more time down there to just be able to get to know them. It's like they are huge puppy dogs.<br /><br />
1395376-1.JPG
<br />
1395377-2.JPG
<br /><br />
1395378-3.JPG
<br /><br />
1395379-4.JPG
<br /> <br />Sean

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Horses

They are beautiful. What a intelligent, and strong animal. Horses rule.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Scare the living daylights out of me, the only thing worse is horses in a field with cows as well, watch me run!. It Still pains me that to keep my girls happy I have to ride them.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

My future in-laws have a few Percheron horses and they are huge. Mostly they are pets but do the occasional plowing for shows.

TilliamWe

Banned

Chris, you and me are the same when it comes to horses. I am afraid of them too! Has to do with a childhood incident.<br />It's amazing how many times I have had to be around horses also!<br />eeboater, where at in Ohio?

eeboater

Commander

Those horses are Icelandic Horses. Gentle as can be, as well as FAST!

NathanY

Commander

ee, were you the feller that had the horses that were involved in that accident? If so, how did that pan out?

eeboater

Commander

Yep I was. They finally settled on the Motorhome and got that taken care of. They've now begun to the debating process of figuring out what they should get for the horses that were killed.<br /><br />My parents just picked up a new Icelandic gelding (male who has no "equipment" for the non-horse people) from a company that does travelling shows. They are called Icelandics on Ice. They have a website: http://www.icelandicsonice.com . Apparently he's great to take trailriding. Likes to run!<br /><br />They were looking at a new mare yesterday. I haven't heard what happened with her. My guess is that they will end up buying her. <br /><br />They have begun the process of buying a new stock trailer. Originally, they were going to get another trailer similar to the stock trailer they had before (that got destroyed). But while we were there, we started looking at trailers with sleepers in em. They get pretty nice, and honestly aren't that expensive. I think the one we were looking at was around $35,000. It had room for 3 horses and slept a couple people. They may end up going with that instead of purchasing another motorhome. I guess having a farm and an expensive RV created a pretty expensive monthly mortgage payment.<br /><br />
1395380-5.JPG
<br /><br />
1395381-6.JPG
<br /><br />
1395382-7.JPG
<br /><br />
1395383-8.JPG
<br /> <br /><br />Sean

TilliamWe

Banned

Sean, where abouts in Ohio are your parents??<br />I was in East Liverpool on Thursday & Friday, then in Medina Friday night & Saturday. Maybe I passed you on the way home?

eeboater

Commander

They are in the Lorain/Amherst area. I'm sure you drove right past them if you took the Ohio turnpike West to home! I left around noonish... you were on the road when I was!

TilliamWe

Banned

ee, I avoid the Ohio Turnpike if at all possible. So while you were on the "northern route" I was on the "southern route" (I-70 westbound). But I was with you in spirit!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Used to love the animals too...Until our pallemino drug my wife 200yards down our dirt driveway when my wife was 8 months pregnant with my youngest daughter. I haven't had much use for them since. Not that I don't still admire a good looking, well-trained horse, but I'm personally done with them.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

gotta love my baby beast. even if she is mostly yard dog:) I do get to rag on my neighbors that my horse is better looking than theirs though.I have had her since 98,she is about 12 now. this year I may actually learn to ride her AND show her who is boss. if she feels like it :) :) .

Skinnywater

Commander

This past weekend was the first one in a couple months that it hasn't rained. Rocket and I had our first laps in the round corral since he came down with WNV last year. He's out of shape so we took it slow and easy. The days are getting longer now and the weatherman said no rain for a couple weeks. I'll be out in the round corral a couple of hours everyother day. <br />The next 3-4 weekends we'll trailer to a local creekbed that has some soft gravel and sandunes. I'll gradually put him through his moves.<br />This month is the month I get him in shape and slicked out. By months end he'll be spinning and sliding. He is truely awesome.<br />Next month is the Red Bluff roundup where we'll participate in the annual parade through downtown Red Bluff. <br /> http://www.redbluffroundup.com/ <br /><br />Then it's off to Pioneer Days at Paskenta, a two day trail ride and equestrian show off.<br /> http://castroequestrian.com/v-web/gallery/paskenta_04 <br /> <br />Glenn County Sheriff's Posse will have their annual poker run and Chili cook out soon after.<br />Then in the middle to end of May, we'll be rounding up pairs for cuttin', brandin' and innoculating for some cattlemen freinds of mine. Early summer early in the mornings we count and check cattle for eye problems from Starthissle. We leave before sun up to get done before the temps hit 100F usaully before 10-11am. Then we have a final roundup in June to load them for higher pastures.<br />Except for the occational snub for a freind. Or catching a stray horse or bovine in the neighborhood. Rocket will spend the rest of the year chewing on oat hay and looking at life through his fly mask.<br /><br />That's what I do these days. Work 4/10's, ride horse and play cowboy in the spring. Fish, camp and hike on the river and lakes by boat in the summer. Camp, fish, hunt the river and lakes by boat in the fall. And hike relentlessly the foothills in the winter to stay in shape.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br /> I got red x's. Anybody else?
Those are red double-crossing quater horses----(yes, I got red ecks too, Ken) :)

Carphunter

Commander

You know how you guys think about cats, well thats how I feel about horses.<br />I hear they make good glue, and thats about it. ;)

eeboater

Commander

Sorry guys, fixed the images... no more red-x land!<br /><br />Sean

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

made a liveing off them for 8 years so i have to agree with carpy on this one