Horsepower Upgrade

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Mine is a 1984 Evinrude 9.9. Here in Malta I hear so many conflicting tales about how to upgrade this engine to 15 hp that I'm confused.<br />What needs to be changed/modified in order to do this?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Horsepower Upgrade

Welcome!<br /><br />Basically on that model you use the 15 head and carb and turn the rpm up a bit. You'd have to have it on a very light boat with a hull that responds well to small changes in torque to notice a difference.<br /><br />Good luck!

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

During the research on the HP increase issue, the difference I found through the OMC parts listings were: Carb, Exhaust Tuner (tube), and on some years the reed block/ manifold. I have converted two 1989 Evinrude 9.9 by changing the carbs and exhaust tubes and found they ran within a close tolerance with my original 1989 15hp. This was tested on the water, on the same boat, using a GPS and an accurate inductive tachometer, within 20 minutes of each other, using the same propeller. I also used the same fuel tank and line on all of them. One of the conversion motors ran about 30 rpm higher than the original, and the other one ran about 15 rpm below the original 15hp motor. I have seen others change only the carb and the results seem to be minimal at best, usually resulting in increased fuel consumption at high rpm without a noticable gain in power.<br /><br /> If you could fill me in on the difference in the cylinder heads I would greatly appreciated.<br /><br />All three of the engines referred to above had less than 300 hours usage in fresh water and had been carefully maintained. The compression was good in all engines and was within 5psi from the highest to lowest in any of the engines. I felt the three engines were in equivelant mechanical condition. Also the 9.9 hp ones were decarbed before conversion, and the 15 hp was decarbed just prior to testing. <br /><br />the big difference in the performance after the conversion was noted in the last 1/3 of the throttle range where the increased flow of the carb and exhaust became readily apparent.<br /><br />Cheers

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Best post I've seen on this Showdrggn. Thanks!!

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No problem :) <br /><br />What lead me to doing this was needing a few 15hp engines for inflatables for friends. In my area there seemed to be a shortage of good used 15hp engines, but a supply of 9.9hp ones. <br /><br />What I have found is that the torque and hole shot of the 9.9 is almost identical. Where the 15hp comes into it's own is at the top end as it runs about 1000 rpm higher at WOT, than the 9.9. The 9.9 has a far better manner at idle than the 15hp does. My thoughts are if you do not need the absolute top end of the 15hp, or use it for trolling any amount is to stick with the 9.9. If you have to buy the parts new from the dealer, the conversion is not cost effective to do, it is cheaper and far less hassle to sell your 9.9hp and find a good used 15hp. Or if it is "looking" like a 9.9hp that you desire, find a used 9.9 cowl cover of the right year series to stick on a 15hp motor. If it looks original, I doubt anyone would actually check your model # on the water. (please don't ask why I say this :) )<br /><br />The OMC 15 hp is one of the lightest and thus quickest 15hp motors out there, making them a good match for small inflatables. These engines are easy to maintain,simple to repair, and have proven reliable repeatedly. Parts are readily available at reasonable prices, and are fairly interchangable as there wast not many drastic changes in the many years that the engine has been produced....<br /><br /><br />Cheers

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks so far, fella's.<br />An old Belgian Evinrude book I've come across shows that although the reed valve assembly is the same for both motors, there is a shim between the reed and its stop (two reeds and stops in fact) on the 15hp which is not there on the 9.9. Don't ask me why - it surely can't make that much difference. It also shows that the carb is the same for both motors, except for a larger main jet (changed from a 40 to a 54 for the 15hp). From your comments, it's obvious that the increase in top end revs is the main source of the extra power, and as I'm an old dinosaur of a fella, maybe I'll just tinker with it a bit and see how far I get!

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The carb bodies look the same, but the throat (venturi) is very noticebly larger in the 15hp carb, as is the size and shape of the exhaust tuner. What goes in must come out right? If you only change the main jet all you get is a really rich running 9.9. If you only change the carb, you get an engine that has a restricte exhaust on relation to your possible intake volume. Jam a potatoe on the tailpipe of your car and floor the throttle, this will demonstrate the effect well.<br /><br />Take a read on the post suggested above, and see what you think? The conversions I did worked out well.

BF

Lieutenant

Read this article its very good.<br /><br />9.9/15 hp article <br /><br />Also, I've never heard of 15's idling worse than 9.9's... I've got a "real" 15, and I can't imagine a 9.9 idling any smoother/lower than mine does. Maybe there's some other issue at play with the rougher idling "converts".

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Snowdrggn and BF - thanks. <br /><br />The 'What goes in must come out'is sound advice. Problem is, potatoes are expensive on this little island, so I can't afford to waste one by experimenting with my car exhaust. We use screwed-up greenbacks instead! <br /><br />That '9.9/15 hp' article is good background stuff. I've learned a lot. When I get a bigger fuel tank, I'll give the motor a good run and come over and see you all!

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BF,<br /> I have one "real" 15 also. It seems that the idle is better with the older carbs (the all metal ones) the newer carbs from the late 80's with the plastic top are mor fiddly.....<br /><br />Or it seems to me.<br /><br />Cheers

ledgefinder

Ensign

Sorry off-topic...<br /><br />Snowdrggn - where are you running those inflatables? Prince George is an outstanding place...

nordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

@stillfishing<br /><br />I upgraded a 9.9 Johnson, which is the same engine, to a 15 once.<br /><br />You have to change two things:<br /><br />Take the carb and the reeds from the 15hp.<br /><br />That's all.<br /><br />It's worth the efforts and costs.<br /><br />Big difference.<br /><br />Nordy

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nordy,<br /> Are you sure on not having to change the exhaust tube? It is obviously larger and a different shape on the 1989 15hp. I found that they didn't develop full WOT rpm, or power output with the 9.9 exhaust tuner left in place. What was your maximum rpm on your test wheel? What was the part number of the test wheel that you were using to verify the output? (OMC pt# 386537?)<br /><br />Without the exhaust tube changed, I couldn't get the first one to pull much over 5700 rpm on the test wheel. After I quit being lazy and changed the tube, it was pulling over 6000 rpm on the test wheel, and held within a close tolerance to a "true" 15hp in the on the water testing. 2 "conversion" engines were tested against the "real" 15hp engine. All engines were tested using the same boat, inductive tachometer, propeller and GPS unit on the same afternoon. The tests were performed in a relativly tight succession (as fast as we could swap the engines, test gear, and prop to the boat.<br />The tepmperature, wind velocity, and barometric pressure were stable. There was a 5kmh breeze, and testing was done with 2 upwind, and 2 downwind passes each, with the engines fully warmed to operating temperature prior to the runs. We used 3 seperate, but identical fuel tanks filled to the same weight, with the fuel coming from the same batch of premix. I was the operator for all 3 engines, and did not consume any food or beverages between runs, or go to the bathroom.<br /><br />We tried to make the testing as accurate as we could with what we had available to us at the time. Any readings that we obtained, although possibly not completely accurate, should be consistent throughout the engines we tested as we used the same equipment and tried to eliminate as many variables as we could from the results.<br /><br />I do not in any way deny that changing only the intake side of things did make a marked difference to the gross output of the engine, but did not bring it to the standard of a "real" 15hp engine, nor within and acceptable tolerance thereof.<br /><br />As our experience is only with the 1989 Canadian model year, short shaft, manual start engines, I can not vouch for others. <br /><br /><br />Cheers,<br /> Snow

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ledgefinder,<br /> If you know my area, you know that we have an incredible number or lakes and a few large rivers in close proximity. We try to spend as much time as possible snooping around any water we can find, and do several longer distance trips through remote areas a season (not that our town isn't remote in itself :) ) A friend that is not involved with boats, once stated that we would run in a bathtub if we could fit the boat in it! About 4 days later he woke up for work, looked out the window to his back yard, and found a 10ft Zodiac floating in his outdoor swimming pool (no motor on it, and washed before putting it in the pool) Luckily he did see the humour in the situation!!!<br /><br />Cheers,<br /> Snow.

nordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

@snowdrggn<br /><br />My experience is with the 1998 model.<br /><br />I'm sure there didn't have to be a change to the exhaust system.<br /><br />Greetings from Germany<br /><br />Nordy

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This has been a fast and steep learning curve for me, but I think I'm getting there, thanks to all the advice from everyone, plus a bit of digging by myself.<br /><br />Here's what I've learnt that applies to my engine. Evinrudes and Johnsons were also made in Europe, and the year-on-year specs did not exactly coincide with those made in the States. Mine's a Belgian-made engine, so I can't say whether this applies to those made elsewhere. (Sounds like Nordy's engine is a Belgian one also.)<br /><br />Originally, it seems that the engine was a 15hp, and the 9.9 came later as a detuned 15, using the same powerhead, reeds and exhaust tube. The carburettor was different, with a smaller venturi and main jet, and the reed plate had a shim removed between the reeds and the stops. Later, a different exhaust tube was designed for the 15, apparently giving it a bit more kick lower down the revs. Early engines - pre 85 here - don't need to change the tube when upgrading.<br /><br />With my Belgian-made Evinrude, it looks as though I only need to fit the '15' carburettor and shim the reed/stop assembly. If I can track down a carburettor I'm going to try it. If I get egg on my face - well, that's life innit?<br /><br />I can't really understand the reason for the shims on the reed stops, but I do know from other 2-stroke experience that reeds are mighty fussy things, and a small tweak often gives a big result.<br /><br />Thanks again fellas for all your help. And greetings from a tiny rock in the middle of the Med.

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

stillfishing,<br /> Your best resource is your OMC dealer. Check the part numbers for the exhaust tube for the 9.9 and the 15 for the year you are working on, if they are different, then there is your answer. In my case they were extremely different, and the performance was gained at the top 1/3 of the throttle range as the tube as the 15hp version was "tuned" for the higher rpm of the engine. <br /><br /> Just for your information, there is also 2 1986 8hp engines in my collection, one is made in Belgium, the other Canada. the only difference is the stickers. Obtaing parts seems to make no difference as to the country of origin. <br /><br /> A person can go back and forth on the issues of the parts differences for particular model years. The bottom line is for you to check the part numbers for the parts in question for the year of engine you are converting. I have heard different theories as to what needs to be changed from many people, and found some to be incomplete. In the model year we are involved with, the that were changed were the required differences to get the performance standard that parralelled the "real" 15hp engine of the same year. As you can see by the posted results, I would have to say that we achieved that goal, and with the high reliability that we required. The numbers that we obtained do not seem to have disagreed with the many hours of use that these engines have received since the undertaking. There have been no "on the water failures" with the exception with one motor that hit a gravel bar at full throttle on a river and suffered lower end damage. I don't think that we can blame that on the fact that it was an "upgrade" engine. That engine was back on the water the same day with the donation of a complete lower unit from the spares pile. <br /><br /> Whatever route you decide to go with this, do your research, evaluate your motor before and after, and compare what you end up with. If you can find use of a 15hp of the same year to compare your finished efforts to, so much the better....<br /><br /><br /> Have fun, and let us know what the end result is :) <br /><br /> Cheers, <br /> Snow.

Grant Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow this is a great thread for the 9.9 to 15 conversion!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

And referring to weight of the 15's way back top, the 1954 Evinrude 15hp weighed 67 lbs and the '77 Johnson 15 weighed 72 lbs... So they were even lighter back in the day :) Don't know if they beaten the 67 lbs at all as I don't have the modern specs...

jay mendoza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It is interesting that some people have notice a difference in the idle, as I never had a problem when going to the bigger carb. It may be that when the reed valves are allowed to open more by installing the shim under the stops that it changes the low speed breathing a bit?? I say that because I did not add the stops, for my model year, they were not used in the 15, that came after the 1974-76 series.

One other thing that might be affecting my conversion is that I have the 9 1/4 x 8 prop as my engine is primarily used at 6800 feet of elevation, and a full load in the boat, it was lugging with the stock prop. Due to the smaller prop, the engine is able to pull hard at low end and wind up close to full rmp when wide open. Even before the conversion, the prop helped deal with the power loss at altitude by letting the engine reach a higher rpm.