Hooked Up Batterly Backwards

PAMedley

Seaman Apprentice
My Grandsons hooked the negative post to the positive clamp and the positive to the negative post on the battery and ran the 12v MinnKota. It runs, but the control is backward. How do I correct this and did it hurt any of the other electronics?

rverano

Cadet
Re: Hooked Up Batterly Backwards

Just reverse the cable connectors. You will know what if anything was affected. It will not work. If there is a fuse on any unit, check that it is not blown. Sometimes nothing will happen when the cables are reversed. Just don't do it again.

blackcreek

Cadet

Mine had a switch that broke while I was fishing, no foward only two reverse speeds. I switched polarity and had two foward speeds, it did not hurt the motor at all as this is exactly what the foward and reverse switch does.

blackcreek

Cadet

Mine had a switch that broke while I was fishing, no forward only two reverse speeds. I switched polarity and had two forward speeds, it did not hurt the motor at all as this is exactly what the forward and reverse switch does.

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman

if it was just the trolling motor hooked to the batt no harm was done it just runs in opposite direction ive done it b4 and like rverano said just switch them. was there ne thing else hooked to the battery??? and like rverano said if there was a fuse it prob would blow b4 damage happened. but do ur self a favor dont have him hook up cranking batt and if he does double check!! if u get that wrong u could have a very bad day