hook in head

WALTERGS

Cadet
A couple of years a buddy and I went on a one way float down the Feather River starting in Gridley California. I say one way because we were paddeling in a canoe and it is about a 15+ mile trip. The Smallmouth fishing in the unmotorable parts of the river is unparralled. Anyways, about 1/3 of the way down stream, my buddy goes to cast a zara spook, he was really reaching out for a long cast and gave it a little extra back cast. As the cast started forward, he hooked another rod resting in the back of the boat. The "resting rod" acted as a return spring and as he let his thumb off of the baitcast reel, the "resting" rod whipped that zara spook into the side of his head, burying one of the hooks to the hilt. On top of that, the "resting" rod now had tension on it. <br /><br />I almost fell out of the boat laughing when I figured out what was going on. In order to relieve the tension and pull on his cranium, he was attempting to get as far to the rear of the canoe as possible. ie out the back, to the tip of the rod. <br /><br />So... I had to paddle us to a open spot so that we could view the dammage. It took about 5 minutes to find a suitable get out, all the while I was laughing and he was groaning. <br /><br />No way to get out of the river, and I don't want to anyway, cause the fishing is so good. so we unscrew the hook from the lure and continue on. <br /><br />5 hours later we get home and had to poke the hook back through the skin in order to cut the barb off. I got great pictures! <br /><br />For next time check out the link for simple first aid.<br /> http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/firstaid/fishhook.shtml

brunowren

Seaman
Re: hook in head

I know that one Waltergs! I was fishing Lake Oroville last year. At that time I only had a 12' aluminum and my cousin was in the front with a crank bait! He cast away and caught me in the back and burried 2 of the hooks in my back ...<br /><br />After trying to get it out for 10-15 min. He said we should go to the doctor.. Well we had only been there 30 min. And I was starting to see fish jump... <br /><br />I said just yank the damn thing... OUCH !! Was a little sore casting all day. But we did really good! Gotta love those Oroville Spots.

jpcody66

Seaman Apprentice

I'm from Gridley and have tubed the Feather River many times. Interesting to see another from such a small town posting on this sight!<br /><br />Gotta watch them hard pans too! They hurt when you hit bottom off the tree swings!

gonefishie

Commander

My buddy hooked another buddy with a Rouge deep too. The one got hooked was in the middle of the boat and I was on the back deck and I too was in tear from laughing