Honda Four Strokes?

MT-Tom

Cadet
Hey! This is my first post on this great site. I'm a novice boater so I hope someone can help me out with this. Thanks!<br /><br />I'm thinking about getting a Honda 9.9hp four stroke for my duck hunting boat. My boat is a 14' jon boat with a 36" wide bottom. I use it on the Missouri River in some really cold weather (below zero). I usually have another guy and a dog with me. Can anyone give some advice as to whether this motor would be a good choice for me? I'm also thinking about the Honda 15hp four stroke. My boat doesn't have the info plate on it, but I'm guessing that 15hp is the max. Will the five extra hp gain me much? Or should I just stick to the 9.9? I appreciate any advice you all could give. Thanks a bunch!<br /><br />Tom

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Honda Four Strokes?

Hey, Tom. Either of those engines would do well, but don't buy until you check out the Yamaha 4 strokes as well. Yamaha is outselling Honda in some power ranges. There must be a reason. Compare weight, features and price. Then talk to some users of both.<br /><br />Good Luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

heaty1

Cadet

Yo MT-TOM I've got a Honda 5hp 4 stroke motor that I LOVE, awesome on gas and easy to start (first pull alot). I've had it about 1 1/2 months and put an easy 25-30 hours on it already and still have over 1 gallen of fuel left out of four gallens. <br />I also have a 14ft Jon/duck boat. If you can handle the $$ get the 15hp it will push you very nicely (fast) the 9.9hp will work fine also, Good luck.. Heaty

savage

Cadet

Experience has proven to me that nobodys boat goes too fast or has too much horsepower!!

JB

I lost a dear friend to very cold water when duck hunting. He was going too fast and hit a floating log. Fast is not always good. In the summer he could have paddled ashore, or even waded. Cold is deadly and speed is risky.<br /><br />JB
frown.gif

MT-Tom

Cadet

Thanks for the replies, guys. I really appreciate the input. Yoor words are certainly true regarding cold, water, and speed, J.B. Sorry to hear about your departed friend. I think about that every time I head out there in the dark. I definately proceed very cautiously. Not too many logs or other debris where I boat, at least during the winter.<br /><br />I'm still not sure what I should get as far as power is concerned. SOmetimes I lean toward the 9.9, other times I lean toward the 15. Anyone else care to comment - Please?<br /><br />Tom

JB

Hey, Tom. My personal choice for a 14 foot jon boat for duck hunting would be a 9.9 or smaller manual start. If you fish from the boat in the summer, go for the 15 for ability to plane your boat and get you around quicker. The 9.9 would be marginal for planing. When you are duck hunting, don't let the motor sit too long with water in the cooling system. Fire it up and let it idle a few minutes in Neutral every now and then. The colder it is, the more often you should do this.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

MT-Tom

Cadet

Thanks, J.B. I am leaning towards the 15hp. I am going to use a prop protector on it, so I think I'm going to need the extra horsepower. The river I hunt has some low spots with lots of gravel and cobbles.<br /><br />TOm

JB

Yo, Tom. I use a Mac's River Runner and it has paid for itself many times over.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

MT-Tom

Cadet

J.B.-<br /><br />Thanks for the info. Is that the same prop protector sold by Cabelas?<br /><br />Tom

JB

Yes, it is, Tom. Cabelas also sells the Skegguard, which is much prettier and doesn't affect top end at all, but the Skegguard doesn't protect the prop if you are maneuvering and back into a rock. Mac's does. My Son has a Skegguard on his Merc and it does a super job on gravel and rocks when going forward, but they don't make a model that fits my 1980 Evinrude 100, otherwise I would have one, too.<br /><br />Cheers.<br />JB
smile.gif