Honda BF75 beeping alarm and reduced rpms

Amozick

Cadet
I have a 2001 75 Horse 4 Stroke Honda that is giving me problems. Whenever I am at 3/4 to full throttle for about 3 to 5 minutes an alarm goes off under the dash and the motor cuts out and idles. I can run all day at 3400rpms with no alarm but if I run above that for a couple minutes the alarm sounds. I have changed the water pump, temp sensor, thermostat, fuel filter/lines/priming bulb, engine oil and lower gear case oil and still have the exact same symptoms any ideas? Thanks

ahicks

Captain
Is this a salt water motor?

This sounds like an engine that's all cruded up internally due to being run in salt/brackish water and not rinsed regularly?

Amozick

Cadet
Is this a salt water motor?

This sounds like an engine that's all cruded up internally due to being run in salt/brackish water and not rinsed regularly?
The guy I bought it from lived on a river and it was kept in the water before him I’m not sure.

ahicks

Captain
Are you doing the work on the motor, or having it done? If you changed the thermostat, was the thermostat and the housing it fits into all crudded up?

Are you absolutely SURE the thermostat was changed?

Good water flow from the pisser?

Amozick

Cadet
Yes my buddy is doing the work im assisting im a electrician by trade he went to boat Mech school years ago but is not in the feild currently but the thermostat didn’t really have a lot of scale or anything. Wish I would have taken a photo before throwing away. Pisser is pissing good. I should add it will only alarm when it’s in gear.

Attachments

• 1FDE52A8-FCAC-4525-95FC-49E174F70FC7.png
    1FDE52A8-FCAC-4525-95FC-49E174F70FC7.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 4

ahicks

Captain
Do either of you have an infra red thermometer? Something like one of those can tell you quickly if the motor really is over heating. Doesn't have to be an expensive exotic thermometer. I think I paid 15.00 for the one I bought ages ago.

Is your garden hose hooked to something that can deliver a LOT of water? In other words are you absolutely sure it could stay up with the demands of a motor turning 2000 rpm? If so, you can use an infra red thermometer pointed at several different places on the engine head (near the thermostat housing for instance) and block after the engine has been run for 3-4 minutes at 2k rpm. See if the thermostat housing and the area around the spark plugs start getting hot - like 180 or higher. If you see much over 200, stop the test right away. There is something wrong for sure!

If your hose isn't up for supplying the kind of volume the motor is going to need, or you aren't sure, you'll need to locate a tub, or maybe cut down a garbage can enough to get it to fit under the motor and perform the test that way.

I haven't had it happen to me (yet) but there are 2 relief valves that come into play when you're using the rinse function to rinse the motor. Not many use it as the muffs work just as well, and there's little chance one of these relief valves can stick using the muffs. Thought is, if they are gummed up/stuck, that might cause the engine to over heat under load. Check the relief valves out here, # 4, there are 2 of them.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If the motor is giving such symptons while running on water, testing on muffs without pushing a real load at high rpm won't say much. That 20 year oldie motor aside suspect having poor refrigeration issues could be experiencing electrical related problems due to its age. Electrical, electronic component heats up at higher rpm than just at 3400 revs and motor misses. If the electrical flaw is erratic, it's the hardest to troubleshoot fast.

How much time does the motor needs to run well after the motor cuts and idles ? Are both fuel connectors o'rings in good shape, remains flexible with no deterioration signs whatsoever ? Could be sucking air at high rpm when fuel is at high demand.

Happy Boating

ahicks

Captain
Here we go again, somebody totally unqualified suggesting way to waste time, energy, and money....

Amozick

Cadet
Do either of you have an infra red thermometer? Something like one of those can tell you quickly if the motor really is over heating. Doesn't have to be an expensive exotic thermometer. I think I paid 15.00 for the one I bought ages ago.

Is your garden hose hooked to something that can deliver a LOT of water? In other words are you absolutely sure it could stay up with the demands of a motor turning 2000 rpm? If so, you can use an infra red thermometer pointed at several different places on the engine head (near the thermostat housing for instance) and block after the engine has been run for 3-4 minutes at 2k rpm. See if the thermostat housing and the area around the spark plugs start getting hot - like 180 or higher. If you see much over 200, stop the test right away. There is something wrong for sure!

If your hose isn't up for supplying the kind of volume the motor is going to need, or you aren't sure, you'll need to locate a tub, or maybe cut down a garbage can enough to get it to fit under the motor and perform the test that way.

I haven't had it happen to me (yet) but there are 2 relief valves that come into play when you're using the rinse function to rinse the motor. Not many use it as the muffs work just as well, and there's little chance one of these relief valves can stick using the muffs. Thought is, if they are gummed up/stuck, that might cause the engine to over heat under load. Check the relief valves out here, # 4, there are 2 of them.

Ok so we did as you suggested but ran up to when it alarmed and no part of the block went over 165F with the temp gun. Didn’t run it with the hose just took it out to a lake to get truer readings. Gonna maybe take thermostat out and run down the lake and see what happens? Maybe I ordered wrong temp thermostat? I’m trying to find at what temp the thermostat is supposed to open maybe I can order one that opens at a cooler temp?

Amozick

Cadet
Ok so we did as you suggested but ran up to when it alarmed and no part of the block went over 165F with the temp gun. Didn’t run it with the hose just took it out to a lake to get truer readings. Gonna maybe take thermostat out and run down the lake and see what happens? Maybe I ordered wrong temp thermostat? I’m trying to find at what temp the thermostat is supposed to open maybe I can order one that opens at a cooler temp?
Also I’m just throwing ideas out I don’t know haha

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
It appears to be mounted on a toon. Since it sat in water check to see if center water deflector between toons has varmint's that could deflect or cause air into water flow

CaptnKingfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here we go again, somebody totally unqualified suggesting way to waste time, energy, and money....
Huh? Sea riders post looks ok to me. But it only speaks to the performance symptom and ignores the alarm. This engine has a motor protection system which is supposed to gradually decrease rpms when the alarm is triggered. But in this case the motor cuts out and dies which is interesting.
Also I’m just throwing ideas out I don’t know haha
You never mentioned in your posts, is this the overheat alarm or the low oil pressure alarm? Both make a continuous beep but you should have a light on the throttle arm or the dash.

Amozick

Cadet
Huh? Sea riders post looks ok to me. But it only speaks to the performance symptom and ignores the alarm. This engine has a motor protection system which is supposed to gradually decrease rpms when the alarm is triggered. But in this case the motor cuts out and dies which is interesting.
You never mentioned in your posts, is this the overheat alarm or the low oil pressure alarm? Both make a continuous beep but you should have a light on the throttle arm or the dash.
No lights on my dash or throttle control. I was told by previous owner that he was told that they are not the original Honda controls. Also it doesn’t “die” it reduces rpms when the alarm is triggered sorry I wasn’t very clear with that. We have ruled out that is not a oil pressure alarm or a trim sensor alarm so we assume it to be a overtemp alarm.

Amozick

Cadet
If the motor is giving such symptons while running on water, testing on muffs without pushing a real load at high rpm won't say much. That 20 year oldie motor aside suspect having poor refrigeration issues could be experiencing electrical related problems due to its age. Electrical, electronic component heats up at higher rpm than just at 3400 revs and motor misses. If the electrical flaw is erratic, it's the hardest to troubleshoot fast.

How much time does the motor needs to run well after the motor cuts and idles ? Are both fuel connectors o'rings in good shape, remains flexible with no deterioration signs whatsoever ? Could be sucking air at high rpm when fuel is at high demand.

Happy Boating

The alarm comes in after approx 5mins of running at 3/4 throttle anything around 4000rpms. Fuel connectors are new as well as new fuel lines and such.

ahicks

Captain
Anything fuel related is NOT going to set that alarm. The engine may run terrible, but it's not going to sound the alarm. You can stop looking there for sure. That much I can help you with.

I'm betting this is temp related, but I can't be much more help there.
You mentioned the sensors were replaced, so wondering, have you tried running it with the temp and oil pressure senders disconnected?

Does the oil smell like gas? Not just a little, but something very noticeable.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If the water pump, temp sensor, thermostat of that 20 year oldie motor has been changed for new ones and still with the overheat alarm chiming in and reducing the rpm down to safe ones, what's the next move, run a descaler product through the entire water passages to clear them for the motor to cool properly ?

Happy Boating

Johnie847

Recruit
Hey Amozick, Did you get this sorted? I am having the exact same issues with my 2002 Honda 75hp.

Many Thanks