honda bf15 runs for about 20 seconds and shutsdown

jameswarford

Recruit
Has anyone any idea what could be wrong with my outboard? I just replaced the water pump, since then the engine will start up fine water pouring out of the spiggett, then after about 15 seconds it starts to sputter, at the same time I noticed the water from the spiggett is sputtering, then stops all togeather then the engine stalls. has anyone seen this before. just wandering if I blew a head gasket when the water pump went. where is the best place to get a head gasket if needed. thanks

Timark80

Recruit
Re: honda bf15 runs for about 20 seconds and shutsdown

My 04' 15 Honda is very cold natured.Let it warm up before full acceleration.Hope this helps.

fishskiff

Cadet

The manual says to run with the choke half way out for a minute while it warms up.

SteveRoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a BF15 and it does the same thing as yours. It will run just fine for 20 to 30 seconds, then just sputter to a stop. I have to start it two or three more times after pumping the bulb, after which it will run for 5 to 10 seconds each time. Finally, on the fourth or so start it will keep running for the rest of the day. Subsequent starts after stopping for a while to fish are no problem.

I worried and worried about it, tried several chemical additives, but noting worked. Finally a "seasoned" Honda mechanic told me it was just a "cold natured" engine. So I've learned to live with it. Mine has an automatic choke, so I don't have the option to leave it half way out....

beachblu

Recruit
I've got a similar issue with an older BF15A. Starts great, let idle a minute, engage gear and accelerate. Fine. Runs about minute at moderate throttle, then shuts itself off like turning off ignition. Could it be one of the ignition components failing? The Exciter and Pulsar coils checked out per spec, but main sparkplug coil failed spec. Perhaps when the coil gets warmed up, it quits? Anyone had this??

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
I've got a similar issue with an older BF15A. Starts great, let idle a minute, engage gear and accelerate. Fine. Runs about minute at moderate throttle, then shuts itself off like turning off ignition. Could it be one of the ignition components failing? The Exciter and Pulsar coils checked out per spec, but main sparkplug coil failed spec. Perhaps when the coil gets warmed up, it quits? Anyone had this??
Does yours have the auto choke or are you using a manual one?

If the auto choke, then I would suggest cleaning the carb. You low speed circuits are probably getting slightly blocked and when the choke gets fully open then you're probably running lean. I suspect this is the same thing as StevenRoss's issue, as once the engine gets warmed up then it can run leaner and not die, but yours might be a touch more severe.

beachblu

Recruit
Does yours have the auto choke or are you using a manual one?

If the auto choke, then I would suggest cleaning the carb. You low speed circuits are probably getting slightly blocked and when the choke gets fully open then you're probably running lean. I suspect this is the same thing as StevenRoss's issue, as once the engine gets warmed up then it can run leaner and not die, but yours might be a touch more severe.
Hmm. Well, I have manual choke. Hadn't thought of that "fuel angle". When the new coil is installed and I still get the dying, I'll try your suggestions for sure. Thanks for taking time to help me!

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
When it stalls, immediately check 2 things. First make sure there is spark; stick a spark plug in the boot, ground the side of the plug to a shiny metal part and pull the rope or hit the key and look for a bright spark. There are also spark testers available if you prefer to go that route. Second make sure there is fuel in the carburetor. Immediately open the drain on the carburetor and see what comes out. If there's no or very little fuel then you've got a fuel delivery problem.

beachblu

Recruit
Put in a newer ignition coil and today it ran steadily for an hour on the river. No instantaneous shutdowns.