Honda BF115 cold start problem

sandersi

Recruit
My BF115 Honda outboard with about 170 hours on it is having trouble starting from cold and getting worse. It now takes about 20-30 seconds of cranking before it fires, then sputters for a few seconds and may cut out. When it runs, it does so like a charm and will start on the first crank for the rest of the day.
After the initial 20 hr service, my broker/dealer went bust, so I've been servicing it myself - changing oil and oil filter, and really being very careful ( and I enjoy doing this stuff). Flushing etc. Thinking this was fuel-supply related with this latest problem I changed the spark plugs and the gas/water fuel separator, but none of this helped. Beyond hiking it 45 miles to the nearest dealer, can anyone help with suggestions?

tgercat

Recruit
Re: Honda BF115 cold start problem

It sounds like an automatic choke issue perhaps... Are you pushing the key in as you turn it to start the motor? Most larger Hondas have an automatic choke function that requires the key to be pushed in as you turn it.

I know this may sound simple but that may help I hope. You may need to confirm that this function is actually working off of your key/ignition relay.

emotul

Recruit

I have a BF90 and had similar problems. Assuming you have a Honda throttle control, pump the fuel ball til hard, then advance the throttle to the very top position (my problem was I thought I was to the top when I wasn't. It takes a concerted effort to get the trottle up to where the choke fully engages). I hit the starter and it fires off within a second or two. Pull the throttle back quickly or it will race. I don't push the key in. I don't pull the choke out at the cowling. It's frustrating when it takes 5-10 tries, so I hope this helps.

Sea Dawg

Cadet

Just bought a used 1998 BF90 and am encountering exactly what you are talking about in your previous post noted below. Could you clarify what you mean by "top position"??? By "top position" do you mean the throttle is in neutral position or are you talking about setting the the thottle in the full forward position then turning the starter and returning the throttle back to the neutral position once the engine has started? Its frustrating because I pumped the fuel cell dry / replaced with new fuel, changed the fuel filter, the battereys are new / charged. The only other assumption I can make is that the issue lies in the carbortors or the spark plugs. Please help

I have a BF90 and had similar problems. Assuming you have a Honda throttle control, pump the fuel ball til hard, then advance the throttle to the very top position (my problem was I thought I was to the top when I wasn't. It takes a concerted effort to get the trottle up to where the choke fully engages). I hit the starter and it fires off within a second or two. Pull the throttle back quickly or it will race. I don't push the key in. I don't pull the choke out at the cowling. It's frustrating when it takes 5-10 tries, so I hope this helps.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

This is a fuel injected engine,so there is no choke involved.Hard starting with these units is frequently due to poor fuel quality or a delivery problem.Plug this unit up to a portable tank with fresh fuel and see if things improve.A good place to start.

n2yfy

Recruit
My BF115 Honda outboard with about 170 hours on it is having trouble starting from cold and getting worse. It now takes about 20-30 seconds of cranking before it fires, then sputters for a few seconds and may cut out. When it runs, it does so like a charm and will start on the first crank for the rest of the day.
After the initial 20 hr service, my broker/dealer went bust, so I've been servicing it myself - changing oil and oil filter, and really being very careful ( and I enjoy doing this stuff). Flushing etc. Thinking this was fuel-supply related with this latest problem I changed the spark plugs and the gas/water fuel separator, but none of this helped. Beyond hiking it 45 miles to the nearest dealer, can anyone help with suggestions?
I have the exact same thing on a BF130. I can not find any mention of a resolution here on the forum . Did you ever find the problem? I changed injectors, checked fuel pressure, new plugs, fuel, etc. No help. I hope you got it. Thanks
George