Honda B-100L engine lockup

alanbr549

Recruit
My friend's B-100L (B100L-L300668) turns about 1/2 turn then locks up. History - former owner said he could slip the belt off the cam pully/sprocket, align it, then with some starter fluid could start it. (Engine appears well cared for - clean oil in crankcase, no external abuse to powerhead, drive unit/prop, or skeg, spark plugs look reasonable.)<br /><br />A timing belt should arrive in the mail soon. <br /><br />Question - can someone advise me as to timing marks, etc.? I'll get a manual if I have to, but trying to get this done quickly - trading engine repair for a sailboat ride - wishful thinking. <br /><br />Question - if the timing belt slipped and caused some valve/piston interference, is it possible to have a bent valve(s) or damaged piston and cause a compression loss? Any "quirks" I should know about this model? <br /><br />Thank you all!

alanbr549

Recruit
Re: Honda B-100L engine lockup

Hello!<br /><br />Well guess what. An interesting reason for the belt not staying in time. Apparantly, the motor had gone in the drink and came to rest upside down. The powerhead had collected some mud and my guess is that the motor was washed down, the crankcase washed and refilled and then cranked. Since the crankshaft sprocket couldn't be hosed off (under the flywheel), a little mud collected in the sprocket "gears", dried, and wouldn't let the belt cogs mesh with the sprocket. <br /><br />I couldn't really figure why the belt was so tight, and it was because the belt couldn't lie against the sprocket like it's designed to. <br /><br />I cleaned the sprocket, put the belt on with the timing marks in the right place, gave the starter rope a healthy tug and it fired right up!! Still gonna put on a new belt...just can't trust the old one...seems a little loose to me.<br /><br />So.....starts and runs like a sewing machine, but I'm not quite sure how to adjust the mixture. It's got one mixture adjustment screw, so do you run it up to maybe half throttle, then adjust it a little rich, lawnmower engine style??? I've always adjusted little engines like this a little rich, being mindful that an excessively lean engine can run and sound good while it's "cooking" the valves, etc., plus with it in a water barrel, it's hard to smell the exhaust and actually see exhaust smoke.<br /><br />Thanks for the help all!!!

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Go figure.At least you got to that point with all hair intact.These 10s need to idle at 1200 rpm and that is where you set the idle mixture.Start about 2 turns out from seated ,and after a good warm up ,adjust away .Don't forget about the valve adjustment in this whole situation.

alanbr549

Recruit

Hondon - <br /><br />Thanks very much for the reply. Very nice to know how to adjust the mixture. I talked via phone to a shop and they advised 2.5 turns out from seated and I was little uncomfortable with that....especially if I was going to boat only at Marble Falls!<br /><br />One more question, please. I couldn't resist the temptation to run a little Berrymans's 12 to maybe wash out any varnish in the carb. As I was doing this, I begin to think it's also going through the fuel pump and its associated pliable diaphams, etc. Still runs OK, but do you think I did more harm than good? Maybe set myself up for fuel pump problems down the road? <br /><br />Thanks again!

45_red

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've used it occasionally without noticing any damage, but like you I'm a little nervous; more so on 2 strokes.