Honda '85 B100L submerged

Short version: Honda B100L outboard (not mine). Owners manual says '85 so I assume its not mismatched. It was used a few times last summer but the owner called me to see why she couldn't get it started. Oil fine, one of the plugs looked "wet" when I pulled it. It was then she informed me that the motor had fallen into the lake when they were winterizing the home site. Wish she would have mentioned that first lol. Anyhow I tried to pull the start cord past the point where it engages and it's frozen, won't budge.
Is she screwed or is it worth further work on it? I'm generally mechanically inclined and am willing to put some work into reviving it if possible.

ahicks

Captain
Short answer - unless that motor has some special significance in your heart, my vote would be to let it die a dignified death. Or maybe find another motor and build it using parts from this one?

presleymarkw

Seaman Apprentice
Short version: Honda B100L outboard (not mine). Owners manual says '85 so I assume its not mismatched. It was used a few times last summer but the owner called me to see why she couldn't get it started. Oil fine, one of the plugs looked "wet" when I pulled it. It was then she informed me that the motor had fallen into the lake when they were winterizing the home site. Wish she would have mentioned that first lol. Anyhow I tried to pull the start cord past the point where it engages and it's frozen, won't budge.
Is she screwed or is it worth further work on it? I'm generally mechanically inclined and am willing to put some work into reviving it if possible.
You can sell parts that are currently unavailable online for decent monies. Something top put toward something more current and less of an issue.

Got an inexpensive borescope since I've wanted one for a couple other projects anyway. Took a look in the cylinders. Lol. The top cylinder is 100% solid rust. The other just partly. I sent the lady the video file with a msg of condolence.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It is amazing how many times 'Minor Details' aren't mentioned initially

presleymarkw

Seaman Apprentice
Got an inexpensive borescope since I've wanted one for a couple other projects anyway. Took a look in the cylinders. Lol. The top cylinder is 100% solid rust. The other just partly. I sent the lady the video file with a msg of condolence.
Wow thanks for following up. Based on your description and her obviously not dealing with it right away I was curious what you would find. I expected it may be internally rusted

Shame cuz when I removed the cowling the first time it looked showroom new. Pristine practically. Guess I'll see if she wants to part it out and recoup something from it as suggested above.

presleymarkw

Seaman Apprentice
Shame cuz when I removed the cowling the first time it looked showroom new. Pristine practically. Guess I'll see if she wants to part it out and recoup something from it as suggested above.
I think thats the 10HP? The 7.5, 8 and 10 have allot of common parts. Like I just paid 50 for 5 intake manifold bolts cause mine were worn and bent. When I got my 7.5 it had the wrong carb on it. Sourcing the unavailable parts isn't easy sometimes.

I think thats the 10HP? The 7.5, 8 and 10 have allot of common parts. Like I just paid 50 for 5 intake manifold bolts cause mine were worn and bent. When I got my 7.5 it had the wrong carb on it. Sourcing the unavailable parts isn't easy sometimes.
Yes it's the 10HP.