Honda 225 flush port connector came off :(

musella

Seaman Apprentice
When I went to disconnect the flush port connector so I could connect a hose and flush it, the 1/2 that is connected directly to the engine came off. I didn't feel a snap - it just came off.
fitting.jpg
It doesn't look like it is broken, but it doesn't just screw in either.. I took off the engine cover to see if there was a way to reach it from inside, but you can't reach the connector from the inside.
Any ideas how to fix it?

musella

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Honda 225 flush port connector came off :(

I found the part.. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...01 TO BAGJ-1499999/EXTENSION CASE/parts.html# it is #4. Cap Water Joint. Looks like it isn't attached to anything.. I found the washer.. So I have the parts - just have to connect them. Could just barely reach behind the cover.. but not enough to turn the nut. anyone know of a tool that could fit in there? Or do I have to disassemble the entire shroud?

musella

Seaman Apprentice

I can't believe this hasn't happened to anyone else?

I looked at it again and it appears that this part is just a cap to the flush hose. I am wondering if I can just zip tie the cap to the engine or possibly add a 2' section of garden hose then the cap, zip tying it to the harness coming off the engine and up into the transom so that I can flush the engine without bending down behind the engine.

gss036

Commander

If that part is the one I am thinking of, it is just a cap to stop water flow and hold the flush hose in place. The only problem I had was that the small rubber hose developed a hole in it and was spraying water when the engine was running. I noticed it because I saw the water pressure gauge was fluctuating. Yes, I think you
could zip tie it. I would watch the black hose and maybe replace it with something better. The small black hose for the speed tube on mine became brittle and broke off. I don't use so I just left it alone. I suspect a small amount of water would be coming out of it while running since the original had a plug in it where it comes out of the engine into the engine well.

musella

Seaman Apprentice

thanks. I talked to a honda mechanic and he said the same thing.. so I got a 4' garden hose and attached it to the flush connector, and attached the plug to the other end of the hose. I then zip tied it to the engine and the harness that comes out of the front of the engine so it is stable when the engine tilts and turns. I attached the end of the hose to something in my transom well.
so I can now flush the engine without climbing over the transom and bending over the engine
What a stupid place to put the connector in the first place.
I ran the engine for about an hour, making sure the temperature was ok and it was peeing fine... so I think it works. No water splattered anywhere. I may do it to my other engine. Perhaps tie the 2 together with a Y valve so I can
flush them both at once.. I would use one of those Ys that have 2 valves so I can shut them both off while running. Anyone do that?

IllesheimVet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If that part is the one I am thinking of, it is just a cap to stop water flow and hold the flush hose in place. The only problem I had was that the small rubber hose developed a hole in it and was spraying water when the engine was running. I noticed it because I saw the water pressure gauge was fluctuating. Yes, I think you
could zip tie it. I would watch the black hose and maybe replace it with something better. The small black hose for the speed tube on mine became brittle and broke off. I don't use so I just left it alone. I suspect a small amount of water would be coming out of it while running since the original had a plug in it where it comes out of the engine into the engine well.

If I'm not mistaken, there's a check valve where the flush hose enters the engine (on the port side). It should keep water from coming out of the flush hose when the engine is running. You might want to inspect yours.

IllesheimVet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

On my engine, it's item 8 on the Mount Case parts diagram.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Take the shroud loose and do it right. Running an extension hose to the transom is fine if you feel the need, but I'd certainly start with the fitting correctly mounted ... :facepalm:

Topher60657

Recruit

thanks. I talked to a honda mechanic and he said the same thing.. so I got a 4' garden hose and attached it to the flush connector, and attached the plug to the other end of the hose. I then zip tied it to the engine and the harness that comes out of the front of the engine so it is stable when the engine tilts and turns. I attached the end of the hose to something in my transom well.
so I can now flush the engine without climbing over the transom and bending over the engine
What a stupid place to put the connector in the first place.
I ran the engine for about an hour, making sure the temperature was ok and it was peeing fine... so I think it works. No water splattered anywhere. I may do it to my other engine. Perhaps tie the 2 together with a Y valve so I can
flush them both at once.. I would use one of those Ys that have 2 valves so I can shut them both off while running. Anyone do that?

Hi, can you upload a photograph of your solution? The hose connector on my 225 just fell off as well. Thanks!