Homemade Trim Tabs install with pics

tbear1964

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Homemade Trim Tabs install with pics

There are many good posts about transom repair in the restoration section...:rolleyes:

I was going to do one of those "priceless" price lists with the OP's original post, but your post is perfect....how much for gelcoat these days?

You can pay me now, or you can pay me later.....

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Good point Doug,

That's one reason our "standard" composite actuators are a good choice for most "normal" boats. On large yachts the mass of these stainless actuators and Trim Tabs are factored into the boat's bonding system and a large anode or sometimes an active protection system is used.

Metal actuators are pretty common on 70 foot and above boats.

First off the black actuators are a big reason why I haven't put tabs on my boat but now that I see SS actuators that makes me much more interested, for me I like the looks nearly as much as the function. My boat nearly never stays in the water over night would you think I would need to upgrade my anodes if I had the SS tabs on my 25' Bowrider? Any chance you could tell me where to get more info?

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

First off the black actuators are a big reason why I haven't put tabs on my boat but now that I see SS actuators that makes me much more interested, for me I like the looks nearly as much as the function. My boat nearly never stays in the water over night would you think I would need to upgrade my anodes if I had the SS tabs on my 25' Bowrider? Any chance you could tell me where to get more info?

If the boat does not stay in the water overnight or rarely you don't need to worry about anodes, although putting a set of 3" disks on the Trim Tabs themselves would not be a bad idea. My basic rule of thumb for Trim Tabs is that if the boat stays in the water long enough to need antifouling paint, then zincs need to be installed on them.

The stainless steel systems are a little different in that the up hinge is isolated from the rest of the metal and consequently the Trim Tab and cylinder body needs to be protected separately from the upper hinge.

We really don't make a stainless system that would be appropriate for your 25 footer.

There are two sizes of SS actuators; The BXT System is designed for vessels from 40 feet (12m) to 60 feet (18m). The SST System is designed for vessels from 50 feet (16m) to 120 feet (38m). The stainless systems also use a dual acting hydraulic power unit for each side, instead of one single acting pump for both sides as in the "standard" system.

The Trim Planes are 7 gauge (much too heavy for your boat). These systems are primary intended for boat builders to install as opposed to the standard systems that are owner installable.

Here is a link for more information http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/catalog.php?vID=201

I understand liking the looks of the stainless (I do too), but as Henry Ford said, "You can have any color you like, as long as it is black".

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Stainless steel actuators...MMMMmmm...Rowwlllll!!!..sexy!...Me likey! :D:D:D

QC

Supreme Mariner

black actuators are a big reason why I haven't put tabs on my boat
I'm a huge Bennett fan, but you could look at these if there's not a good alternative for you: Eddie's Trim Tabs Two disclosures. First, Eddie is my best friend's brother-in-law, but . . . I've had these for 5 years and they have been trouble free.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Holy Schnikies, you do know that for about 100 bucks you can get a purpose built, engineered set of tabs. Not that I don't admire the ingenuity but you just drilled a bunch of holes in your nice transom to accommodate what looks like strap hinges from lowes that will be rusted in very short order. Maybe I am just a dumb dumb but 100 bucks for a boat part that would improve the value of your boat is cheap, compared to the hit you are going to take if you try and sell your boat. I would take one look at that as a buyer and just turn around, even if you took those parts off, you are still going to have all the holes to fix. Sorry if I sound harsh but I think you are tripping over a buck to pick up a dime.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the information guys, gives me something to think about before I get the boat wet in the spring!

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Thanks for the information guys, gives me something to think about before I get the boat wet in the spring!
So as part of your hockey bet, to you have to buy your parts from Canada too?

Spendy...

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I dunno? I'll have to check that out!

64osby

Admiral

The Eddie Tabs look great but really adds meaning to

Break Out Another Thousand

QC

Supreme Mariner

Those are the cheap ones . . . :eek:

Moody Blue

Captain

Good for you lucid, nicely done. Don't be discouraged by some of the negative comments here. It's always good to see ingenuity. Time will tell if you will need to make any changes or not. What pressure gas struts did you use?

I've attached a couple photos of tabs I made a few years ago. It was my first boat and suffered badly from porpoising. The tabs worked perfectly for 3 seasons before I sold the boat. Cost me about $40 and a few hours of my time. The plates were S/S and the brackets were aluminum. I built in a range of adjustments to be able to fine tune them once on the water.

tabs1.jpgtabs2.jpg.

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

Good for you lucid, nicely done. Don't be discouraged by some of the negative comments here. It's always good to see ingenuity. Time will tell if you will need to make any changes or not.

I've attached a couple photos of tabs I made a few years ago. It was my first boat and suffered badly from porpoising. The tabs worked perfectly for 3 seasons before I sold the boat. Cost me about $40 and a few hours of my time. The plates were S/S and the brackets were aluminum. I built in a range of adjustments to be able to fine tune them once on the water.

View attachment 80055View attachment 80056.

Those look nice! Did you do a write up on how you fabbed them up? Sorry, not trying to hijack

gilby246

Cadet

Although I disagree with 99.999 percent of the replies on this forum, I will agree that (although I love the fact you tried to do it yourself) it could have been done a little better. Im very confident you can take a second try at it using the existing holes you made, make it look nice, functional and safe. If you were close to me I would offer to help

lucida

Cadet

Ha ha, glad to entertain everybody here.
Thank you for all the suggestions and comments.

I took the boat out to try the cheap trim tab and rudder on Jan. 1st at Lake Conroe. I tried to made the 360 spin like it used to be, but it just did the sharp turn. I guess it is because the rudder (see my other post of homemade rudder in this forum). The trim tab did not break and no flooding in the boat. Do not see any sign of leaking. I really hope it would break, so I can do some improvement on it. I guess the ram and plastic tab from a broken folding chair just don't want to give up.

I don't know how do you value the time spent with kids, fun, and enjoyment. I could spend 100 bucks for a trim tab and install it, but this will make my kids think "just spend the money and take it for granted". I would rather spend time with them to think, to find the cheapest resources, put it one and try it out. This is lots of fun. And even it fail, it will be somewhat enjoyable, because we will be doing what we love anyway.

No, I never worry about the resell value because there is something more important I can get from this boat. I do not lost sight of the fundamental truths that make me truly happy.

I realized so many people in here want to wait and see the jokes. No problem, I will report back after this summer season.

For those who offered your encouragement and help, hats off to you. Thank you.

and for those who think you are superior than others, here is a quote for you:

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson

sasto

Captain

lucida....your a good man to have your priorities straight. Good luck on your boat and your future.

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well said Lucida.
Happy boating.