"homemade" trailer registration in FL

dozer1013

Seaman
Recently bought a titled boat with an unregistered trailer.
Previous owner never registered the trailer and states it had no tag when he got it
I can find no serial number on this trailer

Everything I read says to get it registered I will need to do it as a homemade but the DMV websites are not very clear (surprise)

I'm hoping to hear from someone in the area (Orlando) that has done this recently

I have several questions:
I have a bill of sale from the previous owner that states it's a homemade and includes a weight but no documentation to go with it. Will that fly at the DMV? I also have a bill of sale that leaves the trailer info out.

If not, where locally can I take it to get weighed? (I'm close the airport)

What to do with the boat while I take the trailer? I have only semi-private access to a lake and don't really want to just leave it tied up there.

What kind of paperwork is required once it is weighed?

Do I have to take the trailer with me for inspection?

That and any other info would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
Re: "homemade" trailer registration in FL

I'm in the exact same boat, er trailer, er problem. Not sure what to do next, but I know I'm going to get a ticket pulling around my boat on a trailer with no license plate. Can't find the numbers on it. Hopefully, it's not stolen. Sounds like you and I are in for a big headache, not to mention, I'm sure this will cost a pretty penny.

dozer1013

Seaman

From what I've been reading, if you take it to get it weighed on a certified scale, you can take the scale paperwork and your license to the DMV and register it as homemade. That's here in FL anyway, no idea about WA, so that's why I was hoping to get some conformation from someone locally that has done it recently.
I guess a call to the DMV is the obvious next step

dozer1013

Seaman

Just got back from the DMV to register the boat and this is what I found out about registering a homemade trailer in FL:

You have to go to the tag office and get a temp tag so you can take the trailer to get weighed

Take the trailer, without the boat, to a certified scale and have it weighed (the local landfill here charges $6 to do that)

They will give you a "white sheet" showing the weight of the trailer

Take the white sheet back the the tag office, sign an affidavit confirming it's a homemade trailer, and pay the fees
Didn't think to ask how much those fess are but a trailer for private use over 500 lbs is $3.50 + $1.00 per 100 lbs (if I'm reading that right) + whatever other fees they tack on

They issue you a tag and you're done