Homemade engine stands

SS MoneyPit

Cadet
Has anybody built an outboard engine stand? If so, can you give me some pointers on doing it. thanks. hunter

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Homemade engine stands

just built one from 2x4's for my motor. Simple construction and it folds flat for storage when not in use. Easily supports my 200+ pounds and is solid as a rock. Wish I could post a photo but I don't have a digital camera. Next year I'll add casters to make it mobile.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Heres a pic of the one that I said I was planning on builing in the thread Paul posted....<br /><br />
fallfishin02829ag.jpg

Paul Moir

Admiral

That looks real good Pony. <br />I forgot to add, it's also important to kick out the front wheels or legs a good distance past the vertical section if you plan on tilting up the outboard for servicing. When tilted, most outboards are fairly neutrally balanced on the "transom" and working will make it want to fall over frontwards. Especially if there's a shelfload of tools on the front. :(

Pony

Rear Admiral

Yeah the best part is it cost me nothing, all scraps. As you can see I tried making it look really nice, but ran out of spray paint. It is incredibly durable, the front handle will hold all 280lbs of me..... :) <br /><br />I use the front shelf to hold my battery and ammo tin full of tools from the boat during the winter.

SS MoneyPit

Cadet

Thanks for your help guys. Pulling my Late 60's model 80HP Johnson Super SeaHorse.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have made a motor stand where the outboard motor is supported and held by clamping on to the anti-ventilation plate and I also use it to mount and remove outboards on my boat. I copied a display stand my marine dealer has. He has many and of two sizes, a light duty for small outboards and a heavy duty for big outboards and is using them for many years and I was told the builder no longer makes them. It's very solid and the motor is very solid on the stand. Wish I had a picture, but will post one when I get one.<br /><br />The motor stand is made of square and rectangular steel tubing with plate bracing welded together. I copied the heavy duty one but added 2" caster wheels with brakes and made the height 2" shorter because of the wheels and to fit the height of the motor on the boat and trailer. The total height of the stand is 20". The base is I shaped with four wheels under the corners, an upright is on the back side and on top of the upright are two forks parallel to each other facing front. The forks go under the anti-ventilation plate and support the motor and are spaced 2 1/2" apart so the motor lower unit goes between them. The prop clears and can stay on and the clamp bars are on top of the forks. The motors balance on the forks so it doesn't need much clamping and It's really neat how I use it.<br /><br />How to use to remove motor on boat.<br /><br />1. Clamp stand to motor.<br />2. Unscrew motor mounting clamps or remove motor mounting bolts.<br />3. Lift boat by the trailer tongue to clear transom from the motor mount brackets.<br />4. Wheel motor away.<br /><br />Do the reverse to mount motor on boat.<br /><br />It works so well I'm making another motor stand exactly the same, because I switch 3 motors on the same boat. A '04 40 hp. Mercury manual - 205 lbs., '69 25 hp. Johnson - 80 lbs., and '91 4 hp. Evinrude deluxe - 50 lbs. and all motors can use this stand.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

I'd like to see a photo of that. The ability to remove the motor like that is appealling.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got some pictures of the motor stand for my above post. I hope it helps to understand my explanation.<br /><br />Just a primer coat on it for now and I will glue thin rubber strips on it for the motor bearing surfaces and get some decals for it. Fixed wheels are on the front and swivel wheels with brakes are on the rear.<br /><br />
j6pr83.jpg
<br /><br />
j6q2i1.jpg
<br /><br />This is the 25 hp. motor clamped to the stand. Only one 5/16" Dia. X 3" bolt to the rear is used on each clamp bar and just lightly tightened because the motor balances on the stand.<br /><br />
j6qsma.jpg
<br /><br />This is my steel material list.<br /><br />1 1/2" X 2 1/2" X 36 1/2" - 3/16" thick rect. tube C.R.S. (cold rolled steel). - ( This makes 1 piece 21" for base and 1 piece 15 1/4" for upright)<br /><br />1 1/2" square X 67" - 3/16" thick tube C.R.S. - ( This makes 2 pieces 18" for base and 2 pieces 15" for forks )<br /><br />3/4" square X 30 1/2" - 1/16" thick tube C.R.S. - ( This makes 2 pieces 15" for clamp bars )<br /><br />1/4" X 5" X 17" C.R.S. plate. - ( This is cut up to make the bracing and wheel pads )<br /><br />This stand can handle big motors!

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Sweeeeeet!<br /><br />What? No flames? :D <br /><br />spots

scotttu

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was kind of cheap on mine....to the right of the tub. (Which just got its final layers of glass and is ready to head to a body shop!).....<br />That's an 8 hp motor for my race boat (Tub).<br /><br />I built the stand out of 2x6 and put a set of castors under it so it rolls on the floor.....cost: $15 or so for the wood.<br />DO NOT USE NAILS however, screws have a MUCH MUCH higher support level (Like 700lbs per screw)....<br /><br />
Merc3.jpg
<br /><br />
build85.jpg

18rabbit

Captain

That looks great, Pony! But how the heck do you mow the lawn with only two wheels left on the mower?<br /> :D <br /><br />Scott, yours is nice looking too, and you probably still have 4 wheels on your lawn mower, but I don't like the way the weight is pulling against the fasteners of that 2x6. I'd flip the motor around, see Pony's pic above.

scotttu

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Those screws are deck screws rated at like 750lbs and are about 3" long, but I could put one more in......it doesn't even flinch when I run the motor on the stand....and I initially ran it with just one screw on one side and two on the other as I forgot to finish the job :D <br /><br />The only thing I would do different is offset it maybe 1 or 2" more..

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

River-runner, thats a sweet set-up there. It immediatly gets my mind to thinking about how a person could build something similar, but with linkage and the hydro pump from a floor jack. You could clamp to the anti-cav plate like yours, loosen the mounting bolts, then just pump the handle and lift the motor and roll it away. Very slick and easy. I have to use my engine hoist and outboard stand, which works just fine, but a setup like yours that could lift and support...Hmm, my welding rig is starting to twitch...

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

JasonJ - I thought of the same thing, but I kept it simple for now because it is so easy to use as it is on my small boat. This is the boat I switch these motors on.<br /><br />
flk9zd.jpg
<br /><br />When I built it I thought I could later cut the upright in the middle and add a sleeve with a pin for height adjustment using a jack.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by RodC:<br /> Next year I'll add casters to make it mobile.
Then the year after a couple of small floats, and roll it down to the lake for a test run? :D

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

DSCF0006.jpg
<br />A lot of the stuff in my scrap pile is old signposts that the city was getting rid of, so I spent about and hour cutting and welding and ended up with this. It's strong, mobile, and best of all cheap :D .<br />Eric