Homemade Boat dollies

drewpster

Commander
Anybody got a good simple design for some boat dollies? I need to set mine on the ground and move it around a little. (no trailer, 24' cruiser maybe 5k lbs?)

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Homemade Boat dollies

Whew.... that's a tall order Captain. 5,000 lbs. is a heavy boat to be toting around with hand dollies. You'd be better getting an old riding mower, and using it to do the work. A 5 horse riding mower can be had for $100 if you look hard enough. I've used an old Craftsman rider with a 6 hp Tecumseh that I got at a yard sale for $150. I've removed the cutting deck, and I use it to haul just about anything around the place. You will go slow, but it gets the job done. :p I've repositioned my 3200 lb. setup around the yard with it too. That's my boat and trailer with gas, oil, etc... It might almost be worth it to look around for a cheap dilapidated trailer you can throw some cheap tires on just to be able to move it when you need it. Matter of fact .... I know where a 3 ton trailer is right now sitting on the ground with rotten rubber. Let me know if you want to make the trip, and I'll get her number for you. I think she wants $30 or $40 for it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

old car of truck chassy, build a cradle.

drewpster

Commander

old car of truck chassy, build a cradle.

Good idea, but that is actually more work than what I intended. I have a good surface, so the trick here is going to be casters. The framework will be welded channel, but the wheels will be a bit of a challenge. Unless I want to spend allot of dough. I may just go with some lower stands. I need to put the thing on the ground to pull the engine. (gantry coming soon)

Hey luckinkentuckey, Is it a boat trailer you mentioned? or a flatbed. hmmm. Kentucky aint that far.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Just pulled my 25' 5000lb boat out for the winter (add the 2000 for the trailer too). 4WD F150 and Granny Gear
I REALLY doubt a hand dolly will move a 5000 24, or at least video it for us if ya figure a way.....

tommays

Admiral

You will not like the price of the casters :eek:

We move 2000# tanks to filling lines

Went through many casters ended up needing EACH caster to have a 4000# rating before they could be moved

Tommays

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

It's a boat trailer. It's all rusty, but I'm sure its structurally sound. A man who owned one of the local marinas suddenly died a year or so ago, and left his wife with everything which she knows nothing about. After his death she finds out that he had been hording and pack-ratting anything 'Marine' he could get his hands on. SHe has a 2 acre lot full of boat 'junk' down near the river. Let me know if you are interested.

She has no idea what she has. :) You just have to go look for yourself. She sold a 58' house boat that needed minor interior repair for $16k two days before I got there. That's how I found out about it. A guy in my Lodge told me about it.

drewpster

Commander

Hey lucky, If your in the area where this trailer is located and happen to take some pics of it, and send them to me I would owe you a big favor. Owensboro is about 4 hours from here. I would certainly be willing to take it off her hands if it is in decent enough shape to fix and is the right length.
Thats how I got my tri-hull's trailer. I traded for the old trailer, little sandblasting, paint, wheel bearings, bunks ect. and I had a good trailer. Maybe this could be the same?

reelfishin

Captain

Here's an idea of what I plan to build, sort of picture two engine cranes hook to hook but not as tall. The size and capacity of the casters will be determined by both boat weight and type of surface it's to be used on. If the casters chosen aren't rated to handle the boat to be worked on, you could add more of the same caster, my plan was to use 4 casters on each end and there would be a bow and keel dolly. I may add braces to tie them together, but I doubt I will need them. The down arms that actually hold the boat will be lined with carpeted wood bunks of which could be made custom to fit different boats.
I would build it out of steel tubing, the wall thickness wouldn't need to be any heavier than the average boat trailer, if not less being that it will not be subject to road shock and stresses. Depending on the size of the boat, I would most likely use 2x2 or 3x3" tubing for the majority of the frame and uprights. The cradle arms could be channel and the back side braces could be flat stock or angle iron. On a heavier boat, I would extend the back side diagonal braces out over each outboard caster and use a suitable sized square tubing as well. Uprights, cradle arms, and back braces could all be hinged or made to pivot with one end of the down braces being made adjustable in length so as to vary the angle of the cradle. Entire fixture would become rigid once the braces are secured.
I attached a few rough sketches, please excuse the crude drawings, but hopefully you can get the idea.

Attachments

• Boat dolly 2.JPG
    Boat dolly 2.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 0
  • boat cradle 1.JPG
    boat cradle 1.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 0

Willyclay

Captain

I have been toying with the idea of using auto/car dollies to move my 19ft boat around the driveway and garage during the repair phase. Connecting them with cradle seems doable. Just checked JC Whitneys website and they have a set of four rated at 6,000lbs for $139.99. Anybody tried this approach? Comments?

Yes I have used the car dollies that sets under the trailer tires. They work pretty well with 2 people moving the boat and trailer, it is a little hard with bust one person. I have an 18 ft Ranger that is currently on the dollies and I use them all the time. The ones that I have I purchased from Menard's for I think about $60.00.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I built a cradle some what like import_reelfishin's drawings for a 30 foot cruiser. Or in reality added "skis" under the old wooden winter storage cradle.
But instead of casters I had steel i-beam "skis" front to back. as well as some running from one ski to the other.
The keel was about 1" off of the smooth concrete floor when the skis were on the floor.

I then used floor jacks to lift one end of the cradle enough to put lengths of 1" round drops of steel bar under the skis.

Then using the truck I pulled the cradle with the boat on it and added more round bars under the skis as I pulled forward.

I could then push and pull the entire thing with my garden tractor in any direction by turning the 1" bars to roll the right way.

You can move some freaking heavy machinery on smooth concrete via several round bars under the base this way too.

reelfishin

Captain

Yes I have used the car dollies that sets under the trailer tires. They work pretty well with 2 people moving the boat and trailer, it is a little hard with bust one person. I have an 18 ft Ranger that is currently on the dollies and I use them all the time. The ones that I have I purchased from Menard's for I think about $60.00.

I've never used the car dollies on a boat, but I have used those wooden furniture dollies with a small v block to move smaller boats around the shop.
The problem with a lot of those smaller dollies is that they don't have any brake mechanism. I used a set of those to move a truck that couldn't be steered that needed to placed in a bay without an overhead door, the problem was that once it was on dollies, it took as many people to keep it from rolling as it did to push it around. Part of my shop has a sloped floor for drainage, it's not much but with a good set of wheels, a 7,000 lb truck can be a bit tough to stop.

Another thing is that those dollies have pretty small casters and are only good for smooth surfaces. My floor isn't that perfect, so I always opt for larger casters.

reelfishin

Captain

If your on asphalt you may want to consider a pneumatic caster, hard casters tend to sink into black top on hot days. If not you may want to park it on a piece of plate aluminum or something.

I had looked at several different styles before I made the first pair, but if your doing any major work, which I was, I needed total support especially at the transom area.

Did you price those dollies? Raw steel and some surplus casters are a lot cheaper.

On a similar note, I've been knocking around the idea of a smaller hydraulic trailer that would allow me to pick up a boat from ground level without jacking it up. It would make getting it on and off dollies a lot easier.

Old Carver

Seaman Apprentice

We have these that are homebrew,they roll easily.

P9210001.jpg

drewpster

Commander

Did you price those dollies? Raw steel and some surplus casters are a lot cheaper.

I did not bother looking at the prices. I knew they would be typical 'marine' prices. I will be building mine.

I like the idea of using pneumatic casters but I have not found what I want yet. Still figurin'

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Check these guys out. They are located near my old hometown.
The whole place is like a Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory for tinkerers.
They sell among other things slightly used casters of all sizes as well as new.

http://www.surplustrading.com/

tommays

Admiral

"http://www.cwih.com/"

I buy mine here they have the best prices i have found

Tommays

reelfishin

Captain

I've always just gone flea market hunting when I need casters, I've always been able to come up with some good industrial casters for cheap there.
I had several sets that were off of commercial food carts, they are 8" poly treaded casters that are rated at 1500lbs each. They came off shipping carts from a defunct liquor warehouse. I bought all the old carts for $100, cut them up, used the bases and wheels for various dollies, saved the shelves and made steel shelving in my garage, and scrapped the rest for over $150.
I had bought 300 of them at one time, I can't count how may things I've built with those parts. They are even heavy and large enough to handle my gravel driveway but the dirt is hard on the poly treads.
I replaced a few sets with solid steel discs for severe duty, I cut 2.5" slices of 8' bar stock into wheels and machined them to take four sealed roller bearings in the center with 3/4" axles, those carts are pretty much indestructable and can handle just about any amound of weight. I use those to separate tractor halves and to move heavy equipment of track equipment around the shop.

It all depends on how handy you are and what your fabrication skills are, if you have the equipment at hand, you can build or modify just about anything.