Home schooling ???

jim phillips

Chief Petty Officer
My 8 year old is in the 2nd grade and is not doing well at all. mom and I held him back in kindergarten and he did well in 1st grade but this year he is going to fail if some thing is not done soon, he can do math but cant read well at all, If he comes to a word that he does not know he will stop and will not go on, If it happens to be the first word in the book then it does not get read. His teacher is a champ and has done all she knows to do for him, she takes her free time to help him all she can. It seems that if he can work 1 on 1 with someone then he will stay on task but if left on his own to complete something then it will not get done. He is not disruptive in class and will sit quietly all day he just won't work. The school said last week that they will test him but it probably not be this year.<br />I guess the question that I am trying to figure out is would home schooling be better for him. AS some of you know I am @#$%%$% (blessed) with my mother in law living with us and she is the one that helps with the homework and will be a big part of the home schooling if we go that way.<br /><br />Your thoughts please

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Home schooling ???

My youngest daughter's three boys did well in school, but she was not satisfied with the curriculum or its objectives.<br /><br />She is now home schooling them. They are 12, 14 and 16. Their language skills are greatly improved; reading speed and comprehension is almost doubled. They are reading classics and sending me book reports. I must say that my handwriting was better in grade 2, but she says handwriting is obsolete (!! :eek: )<br /><br />Her oldest is borderline autistic and savant. He has mastered college level math and calculus in less than a year. He is now taking graduate courses on-line.<br /><br />She has turned learning into adventure for them and they are eating it up.<br /><br />I think home schooling can be done well, if tailored to the student, but it can also be done badly if it is a chore for them.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

11 footer

Lieutenant

I don't know any of the guidelines that the parent has to follow, so don't take what I say to heart to much.<br /><br />I think its a bad idea, I know one person the same age as me who was homeschooled. Around 3ed or 4th grade she was in my religen class. She threw a fit and cry and cryed because she wanted her mom, and this is 9-10 year old girl :eek: I never forgot that.<br /><br />I sometimes see her around the hockey rink because she figure skates, so doen't act her age. Last time I saw her she was running around playing some kind of a kids game with a girl much younger then herself.<br /><br />I think its a bad idea becasue the kid get no time to meet other people his/her age. It seems unhealthey to me. Its just to much time at home around the same person.

D

DJ

lucky jim,<br /><br />We have home educated our two sons since 3 rd. grade. They will both graduate this year. <br /><br />We pulled our sons out of school because we did not approve of some of the things that they were being taught, and not taught.<br /><br />Home education has really taken off in the last few years. Here in AZ, there is a curriculum fair each year that my wife attends. There are also many coops around in which my sons have participated. All you have to do is look around.<br /><br />First off, don't believe the garbage about they won't be socialized. The amount of socialization they receive is totally up to you. Actually, I think kids in schools today "socialize" too much.<br /><br />Would I do it again, you bet.

11 footer

Lieutenant

If your son is an only child it will be even worse, I say stick it at school.<br /><br />It sounds like he may have ADD, if they find he has it the'll put him on some meds.<br /><br />I'm sure he's in some kind of a "learning center" plan too. They put me on one of them from 2ed grade to 4th grade, and they took me off. It worked for the kids who needed it, I wasn't one of them kids though.

jim phillips

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Ryan I for got to put in the other post that he is add and is on meds. we have changed then several times with not much luck

D

DJ

lucky jim,<br /><br />Don't buy the ADD bit. It's a cop out by our school systems. Gee, what did we do with kids that acted up for the last 6000 years?<br /><br />Nothing against Ryan, but he is giving a you a kids perspective. He wants to be around his freinds. One fruitcake hanging around an ice skating rink does not represent an entire movement.<br /><br />Once you get involved with it, you'll find that your son and you will find a group of new friends.<br /><br />My sons even played on a home school basket ball league. Yes, this was real basketball, with refs and a league. There are fifteen teams here in the Phoenix area. Not to mention a national home school tournament, every year, in Oklahoma City. <br />My oldest son is good enough to play 5A ball at the local high school. He has been recruited. However, he decided not to. After spending some time with the public school team, he wanted no part of it. He said their behavior was atrocious.<br /><br />If you were to ask my sons, they would have had it no other way.

jim phillips

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies guys I am leaning that way and just need some in put from my friends here in the site.<br /><br />Keep them comming

Columbia

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I confess I'm interested in djohns referring to his two 'sins'...when you're married, it's not a sin...(big grin). In lieu of home schooling can you, or someone, spend lots of time with him reading? If he responds well to one on one as you say this could help. Some kids are late readers and just need the help to get started. Also, read to the boy every night good stories that appeal to him and let him see the fun in reading, not just the work and embarrassment of being not good at it. Reading to a kid that age an hour a night is not unreasonable, just before bed. It's worked for us. If the boy goes too much longer, he'll want to give up completely, it's up to you to see that he doesn't by spending the time now.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I know several parents that have homeschooled.<br />Some for social reasons, some for educational needs. Its a big task, but if you are concerned enough to consider it, you are likely capable of doing it well.<br /><br />There are more resources available every year.<br />Some parents are co-oping the homeschooling, splitting the day in half. But check to see if this is legal in your state.<br />Take the time to research them and prepare yourself for the transition.<br /><br />My ex-honey's daughter had no luck with any of the meds either. In 4th grade, she could remember every lyric to every song, but couldn't remember 7+4, or what street she lived on. ???

tylerin

Commander

Lucky Jim, Homeschooling has taken off here in Ca. as well. Couple questions I think you need to ask yourself. One, is the person who is teaching your son capable of the task at hand. Two, will you spend the extra time to keep your son active socially. Two very important things to think about. My 14 yr old son plays 2 HS. sports basketball, and baseball. He has two great coaches, and the kids are well mannered and very disciplined. Sports and being with his teammates is his driving force to getting good marks in school. For me, whatever makes it happen is fine with me. Djohns is the one here with the most experience on the subject of homeschooling, so listen to what he says. One thing I will say is Djohns obviously has someone at home that is capable of giving his sons a higher education, do you. Heck, I work hard with my son every night as it is, and he's in a public school. 5 years ago I moved to the County I live in just because the schools were better here. Good luck Jim

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I think homeschooling can have a lot of advantages. There is a lot of BS time during the school day, a smart parent can better utilize the time given, resulting in either a shorter learning day, or more useful content in the learning day. I see a lot of homeschooling in my area, as my job takes me to a lot of homes. Most seem to be sticking to a good lesson plan, but there are some that obviously need to have their kids in school because the kids are underdeveloped mentally and are just running around like every day is Saturday. The good homeschoolers have a dedicated room that they use as the learning environment, the bad ones have the TV on while trying to "teach". As for the socializing, it is vital that socialization in implemented, be it the Scouts or sports teams or whatever. A lot of people tend to pull the kids out of the school system to not only try to give a better education, but to also shield their kids from the "hazards" of school. I do agree that there is too much "socializing" at school, to the point that its all the kids care about. You don't see your kids nearly as worried about their grades as they are about their clothes. Kids do need socialization, or they won't make it as adults. A good home schooling plan incorperates all the vital lessons of life as well as education. None of that can be skipped, or you may as well write their sentence of failure in life.<br /><br />If you go home school, good luck with it, and put all your heart into it, thats your kids future on the line.....

11 footer

Lieutenant

I agree that their is alot of BS time in a school day, but not everywhere.<br /><br />Check out this school:<br /> http://www.shawsheen.tec.ma.us/ <br /><br />Its where I go, we wast no time at all. During shop week its all work and learning all the time, with one 20min lunch every day. During academics we do twice as much work as a non tec highschool does. Homeschooling your son may mean that he'll miss out on alot of the fun things that come with school.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Would you all have guessed it? My two kids, now 16 and 19 were home schooled from the get go. Couldn't stand all the crap going on in the public school system. The TOTAL absence of absolutely anything having to do with God was just for starters. The complete list of reasons, well, some of them have been touched on in above comments.<br /><br />Don't quite know where to start to describe my opinions of homeschooling. I can sum it up to say 'JUST DO IT' It's the best thing for the child since formal education began.<br /><br />Both of my kids were able to start local community college, for free, in their eleventh year. My daughter got strait A's and my son (just starting) seems to be following in her foot steps. <br /><br />One of the biggest myths is the 'socialization issue'. My kids are so social, in a healthy way with the right kind of people, I hardly ever see them anymore. My son even has college girls inviting him to pajama parties. (I don't think so)<br /><br />They can and have been able to relate well to both other kids and adults. They have no 'self esteem' issues.<br /><br />If you want to know what public school is like today, read "Lord of the Flies" <br /><br />Aside from the nature of public school, the home environment for education is especially good for a youngster that has 'difficulties'. Under the best of circumstances a teacher cannot provide what can be done at home. Plus school forces the child to stay in the environment he is having trouble in, way too long every day.<br /><br />Ryan T is just jealous and doesn't realize it. His one example is an invalid measurement of homeshcooling. Look at all the national spelling bees that are being won by homeschoolers.<br />Check out the performance of homeschoolers, nationwide on scholastic aptitude tests. <br /><br />Go for it Lucky Jim and do some extra homework on the medication for your son. You may even want to E-mail G Gordon Liddy for a source of information on drugs and ADD.<br /><br />Also you should look for a homeschool association in your area. They would have a plethora of information and facts about homeschooling.

11 footer

Lieutenant

Trust me, I'm not jeaous.<br /><br />But you have have made good points and know alot more about the subject then I do....so I'll shut up now :D <br /><br />Good luck.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm with DJohns on the subject of ADD.<br /><br />If the "learning events" are boring, kids get bored. . .fast. "ADD" is an excuse to try to shove boring stuff down their throats.<br /><br />I spent 11 years bored to tears, making average grades. (Skipped grade 3).<br /><br />When learning was focused on MY motivations I made straight 4.0s in Navy schools and college. Got my Ph.D. Summa Cum Laude (4.0 GPA.).<br /><br />Focus learning on a student's motivations, not on some perfect "model" curriculum.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB

mattttt25

Commander

with this topic, i think it's important to understand the person giving their advise. pls don't take this as bragging, i just think it helps with understanding my perspective on the subject. i attended a public school in new jersey, very middle-classed. i did very well, in both academics and athletics. graduated 3rd in my class, class pres, varisty captain, etc. i could have gone to pretty much any college. i chose the u.s. naval academy, majored in ocean engineering, and graduated with merit (3.2 gpa). i probably could have done better, but i enjoyed myself and other things besides studying. i continue to do well in my profession.<br /><br />my brother is a different person and a different story. same parents, same school, same upbringing. he did ok in school, but didn't enjoy it. was diagnosed with add, and went through the meds- some helped, some did not. he graduated, gave up on school, and is now in construction. he still has some problems, but is getting through life just the same.<br /><br />point 1: i feel very fortunate i went to a public school. i was able to experience what most people do growing up. i made friends, lost friends. i got in fights and learned to protect myself. i played with the boys and the girls (enjoyed the later more!) most importantly, i learned how to interact with others. i learned how to be a leader and a follower. i truly believe lessons i learned throughout elementary and high school got me where i am today.<br /><br />point 2: add is a real problem. yes, 60 minutes will probably do a story on it in the next year scaring people that it is not real. but it does affect some kids and somtimes meds is the only solution. it is important to get multiple opinions from several doctors, and to ask questions. don't just write it off.<br /><br />point 3: my brother is a different person than me. my parents spent extra time with him, often helping him study. our school helped with his tutoring. he is a smart kid, graduated without being left back, but school was not for him. it was a fight for my parents to keep him straight, and for the most part they did ok.<br /><br />looking back at my post, i'm not sure if i even made a valid point. i guess i was trying to say just a few things- think hard before you pull your child out of school. is it really the best solution? does he want to do it? if not, you may get the opposite result you had hoped for. in any event, good luck.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hey Ryan T. Please don't shut up entirely. Who would we pick on? :p

FLATHEAD

Commander

I can see both sides of the issue. I work in the public schools every day. Just like in any other walk of life you have your good and your bad. Some teachers are great and totally dedicated and the kids love them, then you have the ones that just go through the motions and could care less about nothing more than the paycheck.<br />Still I believe there is a good education available in pubic schools, the student just has to want it. <br /><br />There are a lot of programs in place in the school system to help out with kids that are struggling, have you checked into this? Sometimes you have to make a little noise to be heard when it comes to getting your kid plugged into a program that will address his needs.<br /><br />Ryann I think you have a valid point on the social issue.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

My mother was a retired school teacher of 36 years. I was not home schooled, but what I find about myself is that some of the education I use came from her at home and not school.<br /><br />The 1 on 1 is the best way to teach. Classes 30 years ago were discplined. Children knew the consequesnces for getting out of line. Children then didn't know anything about juevenile records. With no discipline, and children knowing what they can get away with, the teacher has no way of being able to help all the students.<br /><br />My son was 16 when I removed him from school to home school. Straight D and F grades. He is half way through his program and has an A- average. Why? Because I spend my time with him and know if he understands the subject. I never knew before what he was doing in school, even with close contact with the teachers.<br /><br />Lucky Jim, look around your area. In my town there is an alternative school. My one grandson at 8 couldn't read or write. Daughter took him out of school to home school. That wasn't working well since she lacked the motivation to do what she was surpose to. Now she has enrolled him in the alternative school, he is spelling, reading, and writting much much better. In this alternative school, it is one teacher to 4 or 5 students. Check it out....<br /><br />SS