Home-Schooling your children

spratt

Lieutenant
Re: Home-Schooling your children

Originally posted by woodrat:<br /> We've mostly homeshooled both our girls until last year, when my younger girl (8) wanted to be more "normal" and go to public school, so we sent her. She loves it; her older sister is glad to stay home and do chores and homeschooling. There is a homeschooling group around here, although we haven't been very active in it this year. but the group field trips and what not are nice when it is happening. <br /><br />Both my kids are reading light years ahead of their grade levels, both of them are somewhat behind in math skills; that needs more work. I do wish that I was able to get them more exposed to a music and art curriculum, but the public school here doesn't really have that anyway, so sending the older girl wouldn't really get her that.<br /><br />"Socially murder" my children? Ryan, that is exactly what I think public school is mostly about. I am glad that my youngest girl got through the first seven years of her development with no TV and no public school "values" before she went. ( We stilI have NO TV.) I am still not too happy with some of the "social skills" that she is picking up, but it is still manageable at this point. <br /><br />If you are looking for a christain direction to your homeschooling, there is TONS of support and curriculum out there. And the christians in WA state have been very organized and active in keeping undue state interference off of homeshoolers' backs. <br /><br />Boomyal; excellent metaphor with "lord of the flies".
I wasn't going to get involved here, even after reading the remark about "murdering" our kids social life with homeschooling...well, we didn't home school our two sons, but they did attend a Christian school all of their 12 years of school...yeah they complained that teh public school has all the fancies and things to do extracurricular...sure, I admit that...but, after looking at all teh perks of public school, I have learned that many many many of the kids just aren't satisfied with all that, and still quit school...you'd think they would be happy and get up day after day and attend school, huh?<br /><br />And, WR, I haven't had TV in my home for over 25 years...my kids NEVER saw one in our home htheir entire lives while at home. Their imagination is as vivid or more so than the kids who are saturated with hollywood's garbage...<br /><br />And you know soemthing else? Every time they took a SAT their score was higher than most kids their level in public schools...whenever a kid would move to a public school and be tested they also were identified as having a higher rating than the kids on the same age/class level in public school!!!

Carphunter

Commander

Nate said;<br />I remember when I was in school, that just because I played football, I didn't do crap, and passed.
Alright Nate, do ya really think your qualified to teach! :p :D <br /><br />(I'm just kiddin). :) <br /><br />Pretty scary thought though.<br /><br />(Kiddin again).<br /><br />I mean, you can't be serious.<br /><br />(Again, I am kidding).<br /><br />........Ok, thats enough....... :D

NathanY

Commander

lol@ Craphunter :D <br /><br />My daughter was going to a private school, but since my wife is no longer able to work, I weas looking at the home school thing. While there she was the Abeka cirriculum. She was 4 at the time and doing the Kindergarten stuff, and still continues to now, but when she is finished with this course, I may or may not want to continue.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I will not allow for them to teach my daughter evolution(as pertains to a species evolving into another species). It simply did not happen, and is impossible (with the exception of evolution within a species).
Um, No offense Nate, but, um, what? It's scientific fact.

NathanY

Commander

Um, No offense Nate, but, um, what? It's scientific fact. [/QB]
Evolution as far as what the scientologist say that we come from monkeys and all did not happen. But, evolution within a species happens all the time, take for example the Finches on the Darwin Islands. <br /><br />Evolution is about as possible as a print shop blowing up and creating a dictionary.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Creationism? Phooooey! As a child of monkeys, I'm offended....
monkeysmile.gif

11 footer

Lieutenant

I've been in public schools from Kindergarten to now, high school. I can remember evolution being talked about, two, maybe three times tops. Each time it was brought it the teacher always said that everyone is untitled to there own belief, and what they where telling us was what the "scientific belief"<br /><br />IMO,<br />Whether you kid gets messed up with drugs in a public school has nothing to do with the school, the the kid. I go the a tech high school, that has a reputation for being a "druggie" and I know ton of kids, who like me don't do drugs. Shielding the kid from the real world isn't the answer, they'll be exposed to it sooner or later and make there own decisions, no matter when the parent says. I’m sorry, but that's the way it is.<br /><br />For me, the end of 5th grade my parents want to send me to a privet school for grades 6-12. After about a month of fighting over it, they let me do what I wanted to do, go to the public school.<br /><br />I have a cousin who’s when threw all privet schools, her parents thought she was “to good” for public schools and she’d be so much more successful in expensive privet schools, they wanted her to go privet all the way threw. They insisted her in a pricey catholic school,,, the whole plan failed. High school came and she didn’t want to be in catholic schools, they sent her to the public high school. Although I don’t go to the same school as her, from what I can gather she’s having a real hard time. With the school work and the social aspect of it. The teachers “move way to fast” and the kids are “cruel, mean problem is not the teachers or her classmates,,,,,,ITS HER! She wasn’t use to being in a real school with normal peers, now that she’s out of her cushy environment shoes a mess. Do much for the smart little girl who’s parents thought was “to smart of public schools”

spratt

Lieutenant

Evolutionist scientists tell you tehmselves that evolution is a THEORY...now, Creationism...that is a fact:)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by arboatdr:<br /> I commend those who home school but hope that the social skills lost from public schools do not get lost in the shuffle. DH
arboatdr, as often as not, I think that would be better stated as "anti-social skills from the public schools."<br />And I am extremely glad that they got "lost in the shuffle" for my kids. The public school is the very last place I wanted my kids to learn their socialization skills. Both of my kids are strong, confident and able to get along exceedingly well with any age group. And I might add, be recognized as a cut above by most all that they come in contact with.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Mark42:<br /> You don't have to home school kids to have them perform above the norm. All you have to do is pay attention to their assignments and review their work and GET INVOLVED. You will be amazed how a little parental input offsets any negative aspect of public schooling.
Mark, there is so much truth in your post!!! Even on our Christian school our church sponsors, too many of teh parents leave all the teaching to the school!!! My wife has taught there for 17 years, and that is her amjor complaint, that parents just do not get involved!!!! I think it is sad...and I HAVE noticed one thing that comes from involvement: when the kids are older, they return the attention that parents have invested, and the ones who did not have that attention do not come to the parents for it later!!! I don't mean that as a general statement, but one I have noticed among my acquaintances over the years, and it didn't matter what type of school they were in...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

You don't have to home school kids to have them perform above the norm. All you have to do is pay attention to their assignments and review their work and GET INVOLVED. You will be amazed how a little parental input offsets any negative aspect of public schooling.<br /><br />My step-son is 14. He has been living with me since he was 8 and has always gone to public school. He is way above average in his class and gets mostly A grades. He joined the cross country running team and competes against schools all over the state. <br /><br />He performs well because his mother showed real interest in his school subjects and homework. I pitch in and help where I can. But the real accolades go to his mom for her guidance in his school work. We go to Parent Teacher conferences, school nights, and as many functions as possible.<br /><br />Jamie does get into trouble every now and again, but not nearly as much or as serious as other kids do (or I did).<br /><br />I think if you leave schooling 100% to the schools and teachers, you are shirking your own responsibility to take part in your childs education.<br /><br />Our 5 year old is in pre-school. She can spell her whole name, knows the ABC's, can count to 30 knows the basics of word composition, knows why words rhyme, can sound out some words and wants you to point out each word in the book when read to. Now at this age she is not outstanding, but her teachers say she is ahead of most kids in her pre-school class. Again, due to parents taking interest and doing their part to help educate.<br /><br />Now my little girl does have my genes, so that means:<br /><br />1) She is smart. :D <br />2) She is going to be big trouble as a teenager. :eek: <br /><br />I believe that good parenting makes the difference between mediocre and outstanding kids.

jamesgreen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Home School, Private School, Public school or Religous School. It all comes down to one thing MOM & DAD!!! My 3 children attend public school and preschool and my wife is a techer along with the rest of my family. Our children do well in school both academicly and socialy. My wife and I stayed involved in their lives at school and at home they are our children and our responsibility. Yes there are things they pick up at school you wish they would not but hey you can keep them under a rock all their lives. You teach them right from wrong and what you expect and let them make their own decsions.

gatorboaterUF

Seaman

spratt, could you please get rid of that image or atleast make it stop moving i can't read your post or any around your's because it hurts my eyes to see that moving in my perifrial vision Thanks

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by gatorboaterUF:<br /> spratt, could you please get rid of that image or atleast make it stop moving i can't read your post or any around your's because it hurts my eyes to see that moving in my perifrial vision Thanks
It is kinda annoying isn't it gator. Kinda want to make ya pull an Artest on it. :D

gatorboaterUF

Seaman

I think public school works fine as long as you do your job as a parent public school is not an auto pilot i went to public school learned about evolution but i know its not true but if i had not gone to public school i would have missed out on band when i was there we where and still are the top music program in the state that takes hard work, dedication and commitment and i have alot of memories from school and band that shape who i am now and i would not give that up for anything

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

teachers have the "whatever" attitude, like just pass em to the next grade.
True enough many teachers do. Most even, if they stay in a system where the kids are sent to school with no breakfast by crack addict moms who have no idea who the dad was. Or if the bureacracy of the rigid and impersonal system grinds them down over the years. But they do not generally start out that way. It is not just the schools that are limping. It is society as a whole. Those poor kids whose parents don't give a rip- they are often good kids who also get ground down over the years. They get more and more cynical themselves as they see more and more indifference among all the adults in their life. <br /><br />The main reason why kids who are home schooled or attend parochial schools usually do better is that their parent(s) care and invest more effort and time into them. It is easy to blame a symptom or a smaller part of a problem. Isn't the REAL problem really selfishness and apathy when you boil it all down to its essence? Whether it be the decay of the educational system or the decay of the family structure in society- it still boils down to humanity's imperfection.<br /><br />Still, I applaud those teachers who go the extra mile and work wonders with their students. We desperately need more who remember why they are there.