Home Renovations - Weather Permitting

harringtondav

Commander
I've been picking away at finishing the walk out basement at our river house over the last 6-7 yrs. Mostly prep work. I beamed up the 20' span that was supported by a block wall before the first owner added 16' on the length of the house, and removed the block wall. Sump pump, new gutters with tile draining away from the house. This and UGL Dryloc paint, and a three year wait verified the musty dampness was cured.

Last year I upgraded the electric service to QO 200 amps, and dug in new bath waste plumbing. Late summer I fired out the walls to R16. That allowed me to keep it open this winter due to our power co's. 60% winter discount on elect. heat.

Been traveling there weekly. Partition framing, rough wiring and plumbing now complete. I've about $1K of forced air ductwork that I'll be hanging next. Internet sourced heat pump and air handler w/heat kit next. Local HVAC shop will be glad to fab up the plenums and return boxes. I'll have to pay for a service call to hook up, purge and charge the A/C. I have the auto manifold gage sets, vac pump etc., but R410a tools won't pay off one service call.

In the Spring I'll install new Anderson E Series windows. I'd rather eat a bar of soap than pay for DIY work, but I'm on the fence with drywall. I went in 1/2 on a drywall lift with my pal. Even with the lift, a panel toter, and a toe panel lifter, I may be pushing it horsing over 60 sheets of drywall around. 67 yrs old in five days, and those years have taken a toll on my structure.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
pay for the drywall.

pay for the drywall

pay for the drywall

PAY FOR THE DRYWALL

PAY FOR THE DRYWALL

tpenfield

Staff member
Milestone Update . . .

It has been a long time coming (will be 3 years in December), but I achieved a major milestone on the house renovation project this week. All the trim repair and painting is done.

A quick re-cap of the last couple of years. . .

Paint scraped (pressure wash) the house
IMG_3873 2B.jpg

I rebuilt about 15 windows, replacing rotting wood brick mold trim & sill with PVC.

I did hire a contractor to do the fascia venting idea (using the 1" Core-A-Vent). He was much better at working up high than I would have been.
IMG_4054 2C.jpg
Also had the contractor replace the gable and corner trim

Over the spring and summer months, when not doing the boating thing, I painted 2 coats of paint. 3 coats on the south side of the house and finally
finished the white trim painting this week.

Bees & wasps seemed to take a liking to the front of the house, and as I'd be painting there would be one or two of them staring me down. . . :rolleyes:
IMG_5118B.JPG
The part between the garage and the house was the most challenging . . . I had to get a special adapter for my ladders to hold them in place.
IMG_5119.JPG

IMG_5120.JPG
Next up will be putting the gutters back on and maybe a re-build of the front steps, using PVC threads & railing.

Maybe in the spring (2024), I'll do some landscaping and plantings along the front of the house (which was really over-grown before I cut it all down).

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Milestone Update . . .

It has been a long time coming (will be 3 years in December), but I achieved a major milestone on the house renovation project this week. All the trim repair and painting is done.

A quick re-cap of the last couple of years. . .

Paint scraped (pressure wash) the house
View attachment 388118

I rebuilt about 25 windows, replacing rotting wood brick mold trim & sill with PVC.

I did hire a contractor to do the fascia venting idea (using the 1" Core-A-Vent). He was much better at working up high than I would have been.
View attachment 388119
Also had the contractor replace the gable and corner trim

Over the spring and summer months, when not doing the boating thing, I painted 2 coats of paint. 3 coats on the south side of the house and finally
finished the white trim painting this week.

Bees & wasps seemed to take a liking to the front of the house, and as I'd be painting there would be one or two of them staring me down. . . :rolleyes:
View attachment 388120
The part between the garage and the house was the most challenging . . . I had to get a special adapter for my ladders to hold them in place.
View attachment 388116

View attachment 388117
Next up will be putting the gutters back on and maybe a re-build of the front steps, using PVC threads & railing.

Maybe in the spring (2024), I'll do some landscaping and plantings along the front of the house (which was really over-grown before I cut it all down).
I'd say you've done a great job from just the pictures. I also know all about refurbishing houses and just this week sold two renter homes after redoing them. A lot of long hours repairing anything and everything from renter damage... Never again. Post more pictures when you do the landscaping...