Holt oil extractor

flashback

Captain
Recently bought a holt oil extractor mainly for the boat but I haven't used it yet. Any way the change oil light came on in my old 2001 GMC so figured to try the extractor on the truck.. the hose fits in the dipstick tube with room to spare but doesn't get deep enough to reach oil. So I figured I'd ask here cause I know you know what is stopping it.

flashback

Captain
I agree this was an experiment to see how it would work. Not well it seems. I'm hoping I'll have better luck on the boat...

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Should work fine on a boat. Most marine inboard/sterndrive engines come equipped oem with a dipstick tube that reaches almost to the bottom of the pan

Many require only to draw from the end of the tube, I use a spark plug boot on the end of my extractor for a good seal

Alumarine

Captain
As dubs283 said no need to put the hose down the dipstick tube for the boat.
Put the hose on the end of the dipstick tube.
Sometime you can use a garden hose adapter that threads onto the dipstick tube.

flashback

Captain
As dubs283 said no need to put the hose down the dipstick tube for the boat.
Put the hose on the end of the dipstick tube.
Sometime you can use a garden hose adapter that threads onto the dipstick tube.
Thanks, I didn't realize the threads on the dipstick were the same as a garden hose. I have a brass fitting laying around that I can rig up to work..This is my second I/O my first one had a hose connected to the oil pan which could be fed out the hull drain...
Regarding the truck I was just curious as to what could be stopping the tube from reaching the oil..maybe an oil pickup tube or maybe the diameter is reduced where the dip tube goes into the block..

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I use the mighty vac style extractor. I don’t use the stiff hoses that came with it. I get a clear hose from hardware that fits the dipstick tube, warm the oil and suck it out.