hole in bottom of boat ???

Les Young

Seaman
I have a small hole in the bottom of my boat about 1.5 inches around where a stick drug up between trailer & hull when loading. I siliconed it as soon as I got home & it doesn't leak. What do I need to fix it ??? There are also a few scuff marks around the bottom of the hull that don't leak either. Hull is light grey in color. It's a 1993 Sprint 255. thanks

Les Young

Seaman
Re: hole in bottom of boat ???

Thrillhouse, Meant to say the chip is in the gelcoat only. Just wanted to know best material & way to fix it as it's on the bottom of hull. Thanks. I don't have any way of getting pictures.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

So it doesn't go all the way through? If not, MarineTex is probably the way to go.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Gelcoat repair kit or marine tex as advised however, every trace of the silicone must be removed since it will interfere with the bonding repair.

Les Young

Seaman

Ok. Thanks for helping fellas. That's what I thought but wanted to make sure.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I heard GelGoat wont bond to marine tex, can anyone comment on this before he uses it?

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Thrill is correct. Marinetex is epoxy based, which means bad things when it comes to gelgoat, which is poly. Will gelcoat adhere at all? I suppose if you sand the marinetex with rough sand paper in order to allow for a decent mechanical bond, it should be doable, just not advisable.