hole in bayliner hull

Hi i am replacing the floor in an 88 bayliner, yesterday i cut i accidently cut (narrow but about 2" long) into the hull of the boat with a circular saw, could anyone give me some advice to the best fix for this. i am thinking of mixing epoxy with fibre glass on the outside of the hull then smoothing it over with some wire wool. and on the inside using layers of epoxy and fiberglass and sanding over it between layers. any advice would be gratly appreciated.<br />thanks daniel.

Realgun

Commander
Re: hole in bayliner hull

Take a small (4.5" using a 36 grit sanding disk) grinder and clean all the glass within a couple of inches of the hole. Then using the same tool taper the hole so that it remains about an inch on the outside but the width of the hole tapers out to about 2 inches. <br /><br />The inside area is almost preped. Next go to the outside and hand sand an area around the existing hole usin 36 grip paper. Only sand out from the hole about a quarter to a half inch and just make sure its throughly roughed up so new material is exposed, but no more. Finish by washing down the cleaned areas, inside and outside, with acetone.<br /><br />Mask the outside area leaving only a working area a couple of inches larger than the outside hole. Don't bother masking the inside.<br /><br />Now the patch. Cut a patch of glass matt that is about a quarter inch larger than your hole. Wet it out using expoxy and a fast set hardner. Just mix up a thimble full because you are only going to put on this one piece for now. Wet the patch and put it over the hole on the outside. Using plain old Duct tape hold it flat and in place while it sets.<br /><br />Once its set pull the tape off and head inside the boat. Mix up epoxy and paint the hole and all the tapered area using a small soft disposable paint brush (maybe three quarter inch wide). You should have preprepared a bunch of disks of glass matt or cloth in progressively larger diameters from the 1" of the actual hole to about an inch wider than the tapered part. Most hull sides are around a quarter to three eights inch thick so it will probably take about 6 or 7 patch sections. Lay each one up, the painted epoxy will hold the first one and every other one will hold too. Using your brush just paint enough epoxy (this should be mixed with a medium or slow set hardner) on to wet out the patch and then get the next one and do the same. What you are going to build up, in about 10 minutes, is the complete patch. Make sure you don't allow any air bubbles. Don't lay on the epoxy too heavy, let the glass build the hole up. If your surface is actually vertical you will have to do this build up in steps. Just don't build up so much at one time that it droops. Your last patch section will probably be a rectangle around 4" square.<br /><br />With that done go to the outside and mix up a paste of epoxy and West Systems #404 High Density filler. Using a plastic paddle, like the ones you would use to apply automotive body-putty, that has been mixed to the consistancy of about peanut butter, just skim a coat over to fill any voids. After that sets up finish it as you would any other repair.<br /><br />If you do this in the driveway you should probably figure this for a full saturday, but that doesn't include the finishing.<br /><br />ThomVW
I did a simple search and this is a very good answer to your question.<br /><br />We want pictures ans you really need to SEARCH before posting there are 52 hole repair threads all of which could help.

Realgun

Commander

Oh and look at my signature line I have an 88 bayliner too.<br />V<br />v<br />V<br />v<br />V

Realgun<br />thanks for the info, i will search in the future.<br />i really liked your site with the pics of your project thats the best thing i have found so far!<br />how did you measure the wood you cut to replace the floor. it looks pretty precise,<br />thanks again. i will carry on this evening.<br />daniel.

fishnfiend

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you really want to make the outside look like the rest of the hull, check out this website (this is purely cosmetic).<br /><br /> http://aquaskier.com/articles/gel_coat_repair.htm <br /><br />By the way, I've heard of others who cut their hulls accidentally. I'm about to tear into my floor replacement, and hope like heck I can keep the saw on the inside :)

Fishnfiend,<br />thanks for the info thats great, yeah i had trouble distinguishing the glassed wood to the hull. i am going to be very cautious from now on, even if it means i will need to use a grinder alot more. grinder gloves and mask! woo hoo what fun!

fishnfiend

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is definitely not "pretty work."<br /><br />Some day, I expect an episode of "World's Dirtiest Jobs" to air on one of us boat restorers, ripping out knacky rotten wood and soaked, mildewed foam, then sanding and itching along the way as we glass the mess back together.<br /><br />How were your stringers by the way? I'm hoping I don't have to go that far on my '86, but if I do, then I do...<br /><br />Good luck.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

dan - If the cut is only the width of the saw blade and 2" long I would fill it with Marine Tex and be done with it.

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with SoLittle. Fill the cut with epoxy filler and add a layer of mat over it on the inside. This is not a structual repair so it doesn have to be as involved as Realgun's method.

thanks,<br />i will give it a try. i am thinking of cutting the glass off the top of the stringers and having a look at the wood this weekend. i need to get the base of the seats cut out and grinded back to the hull of the boat, your right about it being a dirty job.

Realgun

Commander

DO not cut the glass off the top of the stringers as you will weaken a good structure. Get some screws and drill them into stringers 1 inch or so.<br />Get a pair of pliers and see if you can easily pull the screws out or not. If real easy stringers are bad if not you have good wood.<br /><br />That not my method of fixing a hole I just snatched it from another thread.<br /><br />The floor was easy I measured it side to side every three inches. Its looks better than it is and I filled in the gaps with epoxy/milled glass fibers aka peanut butter. :D