Hole Free Trolling Motor Mount

kvarilek

Cadet
Hey guys. Last fall I bought a 97 Glastron that I would like to use as both recreational and fishing. My challenge was to build a mount for my trolling motor without drilling any holes in the boat. I think I have it pretty much done. By using the cup holders and seating I was able to make this bracket which is fully removable in about 60 seconds. I still have a little bit of finishing to do, such as finish a couple of supports for the front of the bracket and put on the foam padding so the fiberglass doesn't get damaged. Let me know what you think.
Before.jpgCup Holder 2.jpgCup Holder.jpgFinish.jpgInterior 2.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Hole Free Trolling Motor Mount

Ayuh,.... Looks Good,... 1st time ya hit High, will tell whether it's stout enough,.... or not....

tpenfield

Staff member

I suppose you have to put your beer in the stern cup holders while fishing ????

I'd say if your trolling motor is anything less than 42 horsepower, it will probably hold up. :D

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

hmmmm it looks good id cover it in epoxy or resn maybe paint white so it last longer ???? help protect wood against rot ..

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

And somehow this is more attractive and useful that a quick release plate? Not to mention weighing 20 pounds or so. If a quick release plate is ever removed, very nice hole plugs painted to match the boat would cover the holes nicely.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Clever but inappropriate use of cup holders! :) Where will the beer go? Now you have to add cup holders to your contraption!
Have to agree that the wood should be coated at the very least. If you plan to use it a lot, I'd probably go ahead and mount the quick release plate like Silvertip mentioned and save the weight/space for fishing.

kvarilek

Cadet

No worries on the lack of cup holders, I've still got 4 open to hold by beer! I will definitely give it a coat of something to keep it from rotting, that will be part two. I had contemplated going directly with the quick release plate but I am not sure how often I will be using it for fishing yet, it seems I never have as much time as I would like to do these types of things.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since you don't really know how much you will be using the troll motor, this is a good solution. If you find you use it a lot, i"d probably go with a more permanent bracket. Glad you thought about the beer holders in advance!