holding flywheel still while removing nut

arboatdr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: holding flywheel still while removing nut

Track down your local snap-on truck and buy a blue point flywheel holder. A tool actually designed for a specific purpose. Your are going to need it when you torque the flywheel back on. Holding a rope wrapped aroung the flywheel or a scrwedriver and trying to torque 100+ ft lbs. without proper tool is going to get someone hurt.

reka12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I just got dissed!

Paul Moir

Admiral

Save your stone axe - I've got a couple BigTwin flywheel nuts here that look like someone's gone after them with a hammer and chisel. It seemed that it must have worked since I see chisel marks for taking them off and putting back them on! Gotta couple broken keys too...<br />Personally, I use a home-made oversized strap wrench / 'learn how to weld' project.

reka12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, the rope trick came at a time that I was away from my amatuer tools when it either got fixed or we were going to head home. So, if it was primitive, it worked. It basically worked like an oversized strap wrench at a time when we were miles from a shop with professional tools :) . Mike

Paul Moir

Admiral

Can't argue much with something that worked. :) <br />I still can't seem to get over the loctited one. How could you go after a nut like that and think to yourself, 'maybe I should put some loctite on that to make sure it doesn't loosen'??

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you don't know how to do it right, do it the stupid way. :rolleyes: ----"Either put 90 to 120 ft lb on the nut or keep buying crank keys". But it will break! " Your brain is broken. "

reckless

Seaman Apprentice

just a thought, i rod welded onto a three hole flywheel puller should work fine, i ordered one and it worked to pull that lower unit bearing housing out.