holding flywheel still while removing nut

reckless

Seaman Apprentice
just curious as what could be used to hold a flywheel still while removing that nut.im imagining that using a breaker bar and socket would require more holding of the flywheel than an impact wrench?

jgrisham02633

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: holding flywheel still while removing nut

Whenever I've had to remove a flywheel I just used my largest craftsman flat screwdriver and put it in the teeth and used the lifting bracket as a stop to keep the flywheel from spinning. But that was a v-4 you may not have a lifting bracket on your motor but you should be able to find something to rest against. You will definately what a decent puller, one that will fit the srew holes on top of the flywheel instead of one of the jaw types. Good Luck

reckless

Seaman Apprentice

ok<br />just thought i had to buy an expensive tool thing a magij

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

A strap wrench works well....cheap at Sears.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Taking a flywheel off is no problem with the proper puller, and an impact wrench. Getting it back on when the torque can go as high as a 140 Ft./Lbs. is another story. On the small rope start engine's, you can use a strap wrench. On the electric start model's, I made a wrench like the Snap-On, but with a 2 1/2 Ft. handle. Don't jam a screw driver between the flywheel, and starter. I know of people who have tried.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Support America. Flip the dealer $ 5 bucks for the tool to do the job right and safe with their good advice on the job. I have no connections with one. They just have more GOOD tools and experience. :)

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm from the "place a length of line through a spark plug hole of a cylinder, preventing the cylinder from reaching TDC and thereby jamming the engine" school.<br /><br />Use a cotton line, about a 1/4 inch in diamter. Feed it in in a loop but be careful you don't slice the line between the piston and cylinder wall, leave a bit hanging out so you can pull it out when you are done (duh!).<br /><br />Good luck,<br />funpilot

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> yep use the rope trick. that way you can flatten the bearings or get the rope hung in a port. I have used a strap wrench for even the v6 looper. but I bought the holder tool and made another some years back. could ya tell us a bit about the motor? a year and HP would be a wonderful start.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, DON'T do the rope packing trick. The crank bearing was not designed to handle that much load exerted without it turning. The needle bearings will bite the race and that will be a big problem after an hour or so runtime.<br /><br />The rope trick works ok on regular bearings, but not on needle bearings. I would not even do it on a regular bearing on a lawnmower.<br /><br />Rent or buy a strap wrench or bolt a length of steel stock to the puller holes on the top of flywheel.

perchdog2003

Recruit

I ran into this befor, what I did was to wrap a length of rope 3-4 times around flywheel tied with suitable knot, tie off other end of rope to cleat and let friction do its thing.

Tinkerer

If you've got some spare holes on top of the flywheel just drill two matching holes in a length of angle iron or thick bar and slip bolts through the bar into the flywheel holes. The longer the bar the more leverage you get. Works fine on my 60 HP V4, both undoing and doing it up.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

tinkerer<br /> I got fancy on the last one I made. seems someone used the red lock tite on a 250 yam flywheel nut. <br /> I bored a hole in a 3/8 plate large enough for the socket to pass through. drilled 3 holes for the flywheel bolts and welded a 1/2"x 3ft bar on it. still took almost 3 hours to get the flywheel off. seems the loc tite also ran between the tapers. my snapon flywheel holder wasnt strong enough.lucky the snapon man replaced it :)

Tinkerer

rodbolt<br /><br />It'd take me 3 hours to make the tool you did, never mind getting the flywheel off.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

thats about what the tool making took :) <br /> but had to do something. I did stay on the clock for it though :) I aint the one that loc-tited the nut. the absolute worst I ever had was an 87 3 cyl jonnyrude. we finnally put the power head under a 30 ton press and pressed it off. left chunks of the crank taper on the flywheel taper.<br /> there again it had been installed with the old nut and loc-tite red 572. what was real bad it was a friend that did it.

perchdog2003

Recruit

-cost of finding rope in boat yard = 10 seconds, all ready tripping over.<br />-cost of jerry rigging rope wrap and knot = 60 sec<br />-value of using blow boater rope = pricless, yard slob!!!

reckless

Seaman Apprentice

its a v4 guys i was just curious<br />gota 40hp manual from kencook instead of the 5.5hp that i ordered<br /> :(

reckless

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by perchdog2003:<br /> -cost of finding rope in boat yard = 10 seconds, all ready tripping over.<br />-cost of jerry rigging rope wrap and knot = 60 sec<br />-value of using blow boater rope = pricless, yard slob!!!
its a v4 guys i was just curious<br />gota 40hp manual from kencook instead of the 5.5hp that i ordered<br /> :(

reka12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can also use cotton rope, wrapped tight underneath the flywheel, about ten to 15 turns. Wind it clockwise and pull real hard at the end. When turning the flywheel nut, have someone else pulling on the rope to increase the friction. Worked for me on a stubborn '86 15.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

That rope trick sounds good! Make's me want to get rid of my stone axe, and tiger tooth chisel.