Hoax?? Please help!!

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Hoax?? Please help!!

Mr. Terry B****** is also selling a set of Factory 1997 Camaro wheels & tires, and the real cash price for his boat is $29,900.

His address is *******, and he works at *********, you already have his telephone number, it is in his E-Bay listing for the Malibu and it is in, you guessed it, Hutchinson Kansas.

******* = I am sure Mr. B****** would prefer I not post this information.

Yet oddly enough his boat has Louisiana registration decals....

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Yet oddly enough his boat has Louisiana registration decals....

I saw that too, but maybe he moved or something. I could call him, and ask but I am in Europe at the moment, and not interested in the boat.

My boat is also registered to my address in a State other than where it is most often used. It is still my boat and I have the papers to prove it. Maybe he does also.

I buy on E-Bay, not often, but sometimes. I never send cash in anyway what so ever. Cash on pickup, and then only if the merchandise is as described, and the paper work is in order. I also ask for serial numbers if it has them, and have it run through the police computers to see if it is stolen. If anything stinks, I walk.

Buyer and Seller Beware anytime you do anything on the Internet!

I had someone once that listed our address and fax number in the paper as looking for movers. We had weird people showing up for weeks trying to move us somewhere. We wern't moving. We didn't place the free add, but the "hobby movers" were all mad at us. I finally just started calling the police every time one of them showed up, and demanded to be paid for their trouble.

Just because it is Mr. B*******'s boat in the ad, doesn't mean he is the scammer. Anyone could go to any number of 10's of thousands of online photo sites, and use boat photos as bait for a scam. He is probably just a unknowing victim of somebody else's greed.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is a known scam that has been popping up on craigslist across the country for at least the last two months.

There is someone doing a similar thing with pop-up campers on craigslist.

If it sounds too good to be true.......

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

scammers are known to use other peoples picture on ebay and come up with a discription. same with craigslist.

d_saum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

lol... I hate scammers!!! But I DO love to mess with them. I'd email her back and say something along the lines of "Hey, Im actually going to be down in Ft Lauderdale on business and could come by to check out the boat in person." and continue on with that angle just to aggravate them a bit and see what amusing lies I could get them to tell. Also, after it got old, I'd tell them blatantly that I KNOW they are a scammer and that I have contacted the authorities since I know the real owner and he is asking $29K for said boat.

About a year ago, I had some girl (yeah right) in south africa trying to get me to send her money so she could pay her mothers medical bills and then come to the U.S. to "visit" me. So ... knowing that this was a total scam, I told her I'd send her the money immediately via Western Union and told her to go to some obscure location to pick it up. I did this several times sending her (him) on repeated wild goose chases. I still have the chat transcripts saved somewhere. I was laughing my hiney off the whole time.... but wait.... what if.... what if she was real? and what if she was my soulmate???? OH GOD! WHAT HAVE I DONE?????? :eek:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have notified Ebay, and the Ebay seller, thry ebay message center.

Nandy

Commander

I would have had fun wiht them, tell them you are in florida and want to pick in person.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

In case you didn't get the answer to your question, it's a hoax :)

I responded to a similar ad for a 1997 Crestliner for $5,300. Posted about it here somewhere and on a BC fishing boards as well. Anyway, they wouldn't respond to my email asking for an address so I could have the boat inspected and I sent them a "fine" email.

About a week later I got a pm on the fishing board from someone else. They had googled for the description etc. as they were of $5K on the same boat and were looking for info about what I did (which was pretty much nothing except swearing at the guy).

So, sad as it is, the reason these ads pop up is because people fall for them.

You can have fun with them if you like but you really won't get any satisfaction. The ad has been flagged and removed, not much more than that will happen.

jonesg

Admiral

Tell them you sent $10K by mistake, they can keep $5K and send you $5K back .

signed, Hugh Binhad.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

When their responses are badly written is a clue

After that you will need to send the money and give to ebay the payment details and as soon as they will check the status of the payment (and if is available) they will instruct me to start the shipping and the boat will be delivered to you and after you will receive it and test it (10 days test period) you will need to confirm to ebay that you received and they will release the money to me.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Yep, that is a genuine, bona fide, 100% pure fraud.

And it is common for scammers to use legitemate sales for the basis of their fraud.

I have seen my own MFG boat for sale on craigslist using the photo from my signature, and I didn't even have the boat for sale. I wonder if it ever sold, or how many times? :D

alamosaddles

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to all of you! I think I'll definitely take your advise. I did reply to her through e-mail and asked where was the boat currently and such - she replied as follows::

The boat is in Miami, FL and I am here as well.[/COLOR]

Do this. Reply to her, and tell her you want the boat and will pay her directly. Then tell her that you don't want the boat shipped, and that I will go pick up the boat directly and pay her directly. I am in Miami....Betcha she gives you another reason why I can't go pick up the boat.....

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

will forward to ebay this information and they will send you a invoice with all the payment and shipping details.
Oh for crying out load...this the dumbest scam yet. Its ON CRAIGSLIST...got ZIP to do with Ebay, OR PAYPAL..(that would be a commit to buy, and only a PAYMENT..AFTER you saw it, and decided NOT to do cash, a check, etc. )
Whole bunch of idiots out there scamming, and seems ....so simple..just read between the lines...$4800 for a 2002..HA! (I'll take six of them if ya got more,...and I bet they do. (its a take yer info, scam ya, and disappear).....
And sending Ebay, C/L, PP a complaint...see if ya don't get a form letter reply back...what do they care?...(now, back to reality)...