Ho many batteries do I need?

Kaze

Seaman Apprentice
The blue seas switch and acr method seems to be what I’d like to do but what if I have a 24v trolling motor? Do I need two more batteries? If I have a 12v trolling motor would it be ok to run the house fuse panel and 12v trolling motor off the same battery?

Attachments

• 730B4381-4923-4907-81FD-34B3D526EA7F.png
    730B4381-4923-4907-81FD-34B3D526EA7F.png
    942.3 KB · Views: 5

Kaze

Seaman Apprentice
If you currently have 1 battery...I'd add 1.
lol. Yes, I only have a cranking battery at this time. I was gonna buy a battery for the house wires (which I still have to figure out). I was wondering if I bought a trolling motor and it was 12v can I run it off the same battery as the house circuits. Also, if I buy a 24v trolling motor do I need to buy three batteries? One for house circuit 12v and two for trolling motor 24v???

Bondo

Staff member
lol. Yes, I only have a cranking battery at this time. I was gonna buy a battery for the house wires (which I still have to figure out). I was wondering if I bought a trolling motor and it was 12v can I run it off the same battery as the house circuits. Also, if I buy a 24v trolling motor do I need to buy three batteries? One for house circuit 12v and two for trolling motor 24v???
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... How much load is expected of the house battery,..??

Kaze

Seaman Apprentice
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... How much load is expected of the house battery,..??
Haven’t actually sat down and calculated the load. It would be the normal bass boat stuff. Let’s see…. Like, a bilge pump, two live well pumps, nav lights, panel lights, live well lights, maybe a couple of courtesy lights, maybe in the future a few spot lights, a 12v receptacle, couple of USB ports, not sure if I’ll hook up a stereo or not (nowadays Bluetooth speakers work even better for my kids). A simple fish finder too. Normal stuff I guess.
I figured on putting in a 12slot fuse panel and have extra slots for future proofing.

Kaze

Seaman Apprentice
Haven’t actually sat down and calculated the load. It would be the normal bass boat stuff. Let’s see…. Like, a bilge pump, two live well pumps, nav lights, panel lights, live well lights, maybe a couple of courtesy lights, maybe in the future a few spot lights, a 12v receptacle, couple of USB ports, not sure if I’ll hook up a stereo or not (nowadays Bluetooth speakers work even better for my kids). A simple fish finder too. Normal stuff I guess.
I figured on putting in a 12slot fuse panel and have extra slots for future proofing.
Right now there isn’t anything. The lights aren’t even wired in. Looks like someone ripped all the wiring up, cut a bunch of stuff. I’ve got house wires
As of right now there’s nothing that works. No nav lights no gauges, nothing. Just a big mess. I’ve got non marine wire in there, wires that go nowhere, starter solenoid that doesn’t go to the started. Old corroded fuse panel with the line wire cut and missing. Metal strap that’s all rusted out for a negative bus bar. All kinds of mess, so I’m gonna wire the house loads from scratch. IF I CAN EVER FIGURE OUT HOW.

Kaze

Seaman Apprentice
The reason I ask about the amount of batteries is because a purchased an onboard dual battery charger to maintain my cranking battery while I was working on the boat. However, during my research about boat wiring I’ve discovered that this 17ft boat is boarder line between a 55 thrust trolling motor and something bigger. If it needs more than 55 thrust my understanding is that I will need a 24v trolling motor battery vs just a 12v trolling motor. I wanted to save my cranking battery for the motor and have separate wires for the house battery and trolling motor. If it was just 12v then the house battery would be shared with the trolling motor, but if the trolling motor requires 24v then…
Do I need one battery for cranking, one for house fuse panel (12v). And two more for a 24v trolling motor?

Kaze

Seaman Apprentice
The reason I ask about the amount of batteries is because a purchased an onboard dual battery charger to maintain my cranking battery while I was working on the boat. However, during my research about boat wiring I’ve discovered that this 17ft boat is boarder line between a 55 thrust trolling motor and something bigger. If it needs more than 55 thrust my understanding is that I will need a 24v trolling motor battery vs just a 12v trolling motor. I wanted to save my cranking battery for the motor and have separate wires for the house battery and trolling motor. If it was just 12v then the house battery would be shared with the trolling motor, but if the trolling motor requires 24v then…
Do I need one battery for cranking, one for house fuse panel (12v). And two more for a 24v trolling motor?
I think there’s still time to exchange the onboard charger for one that would charge more batteries, but not much time left to make the exchange. Just want to kinda future proof the boat with one onboard charger.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Get the bigger charger. Even if you don't need it right away, you will have it when you do.

Kaze

Seaman Apprentice
Get the bigger charger. Even if you don't need it right away, you will have it when you do.
I was thinking of getting a three battery charger, but heard that running 12v house loads off the (two battery 24v trolling motor) would be a problem.

honestly this is all new to me, and I’m kinda lost. Don’t really want four batteries. Don’t really want the weight either, but if running the house loads off the trolling motor batteries is a bad idea, I guess I’ll get a four bank charger.

MRS

Commander
I have a three bank charger one battery for house one for fish finder and one for trolling motor. If one gets low I can always switch to another battery and not be stranded.