Hmmmm....oil change questions/thoughts

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer
Had my oil changed yesterday in a 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier with the 2.2L engine.

I've always heard that you can let a car go up to 5K miles between oil changes without doing any harm. HOWEVER, I don't usually tend to do that. Usually I'm a 3K guy, but I don't sweat it if I go 500, 1000, or maybe 2000 over if I'm extremely busy.

So this time I was 2000 over and the guy mentions it to me when I go pick it up. He says something to the effect of, "Noticed you were a little over due for your oil change." And I said something like yeah, been extremely busy. Then he says, "Well, you had some metal shavings stuck to your drain plug." Then I was like, 'Uhhhhh' and he said its not really anything to worry about right now, but don't let the oil changes go so long. He said the low lubrication can cause the metal shavings as the oil gets thinned out.

Now, I use a Midas place across the street and I have no idea what brand of oil they put in come to think of it. I usually prefer penzoil when I do it myself and have never experienced this. I've made up my mind to always do the oil changes at 3K miles from now on tho.

So questions:
1.) Is 5k miles really too long to go between oil changes? (I drive mainly highway miles with a little bit of stop and go driving.
2.) Are metal shavings common in oil changes?
3.) Should I be more concerned about the state of my engine now? It has approx 93K miles on it.

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hmmmm....oil change questions/thoughts

i wouldn't be real concerned with the shavings it is pretty common on higher milage cars. I run 5000 miles between changes but also run a semi synthetic blend oil.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lack of oil change is not necessarily the cause of an engine to produce metal shavings.

When you don't keep your oil changed often enough, chemicals build up in the oil. The chemicals break down your engine.

2,000 miles late, no reason for concern. Really, engine breakdown is a combination of poor oil changes over time.

Bottom line, Old, old oil left in your vehicle will break down your motor even though you do not drive it. The factor of time is the reason I change my oil monthly, regardless of mileage. I have never had an engine related failure in any vehicle I have ever owned, and all I do is keep the oil changed monthly. A small price to pay compared to shop work.

whywhyzed

Banned

some people clean the fur off the plug magnet each time, some don't. The fur could be cumulative.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

I too always changed my oil at 3000 miles. When a lot of cars upped their recommendation to 7500+, I upped my change time to 4000. Then "Click and Clack" at cartalk.com said that, considering environmental issues and better engine manufacturing, 5000 was a good balance as long as you're sure to also change the filter each time. So I change the oil somewhere between 4500 and 5000.

Then a year ago I got an 07 Honda CRV that has a "maintenance minder" computer chip that calculates how long your oil is good based on miles, temperatures, driving/engine loads, and probably a lot of other stuff. I was really skeptical about this, but frequented a Honda SUV newsgroup, and the experts there kept assuring everyone (me) that we could trust the Honda maintenance minder. According to that, a dashboard indicator goes on when you've got 15% life left; they suggest changing it then. Cartalk.com also suggests we trust it. So, based on the experts, it looks like I could safely go 10K - 12K between changes. Even so, I do change it more often -- like about 30% - 35% left (around 7K).

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Wet sump engines tend to accumulate shavings and microshavings at the drain plug.

As mentioned above, it is not the shavings that threaten the engine it is the dilution/breakdown of the oil with chemical pollutants.

Many modern engines have sensors, like the Honda mentioned, that monitor for pollutants as well as monitoring temperature history, etc. and warn the driver when a change of oil and filter is needed.

My ML often goes 12,000-15,000 miles between changes of Mobil 1, but when there are a lot of short trips when the oil doesn't reach ideal temp it shortens to as little as 5,000 miles. I haven't had it request fresh oil and filter sooner than 5K.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yea, both my new vehicles, the 2500 Dodge Ram with the 6.7L Cummings and the new Jeep has the oil minders on them.
It says on the dash, "Change" when they are due.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I go 5000 between oil changes myself. I am glad I don't have that change indicator on my dash board lol.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I go 5000 also but run pure synthetic.It is normal to have that fuzz of shavings on the drain plug.My truck has 94k on it now and never uses a drop of oil.Even when i towed the travel trailer 900 miles through mountains i expected it to use oil but it didn't.
I have run that DuraLube stuff in my engines.We tested it on a 4.3 engine.It had been running Duralube.We drained the oil and left the drain plug out.Drove the truck around in first gear holding it to the floor with not a drop of oil in it.
It blew out the tranny but the engine never did lock up.Filled it back with oil and it ran several more years.

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Chevy Cavalier with the 2.2 engine, I tend to change it about every 4 months or so and there is usually a little bit of metal fuzz built up on the magnet. I also installed an oil cooler with a larger filter so I think changing it at 3,000 would be excessive. I use Valvoline Maxlife 5w-30 and the oil cooler adaptor uses a larger filter so I think I could go to 2 oil changes a year if I really want to because the oil is never really that dirty when I change it.

I realize that everyone has their own opinions on oil and when to change it but the guy at Midas makes money off oil changes so of course he wants you to change it more often.

dolluper

Captain

4 bangers need oil changed more frequiet.3000 sounds good Do a compression check before tune up's,A fact of the beasts he he

D

DJ

"Fuzz" on a drain screw is nothing to be concerned about. How long has it been there? Who knows. I don't tend to take "oil change jockey" advice on how healthy my engines are. I have NEVER had an engine failure.

ALL my vehicles have oil change "minders". As stated, previously, the oil change minder is not simply mileage minded. It considers: starts, time, and miles. It seems to average out to be about 4000 miles.

As an exmple, my wifes Mustang "minder" came on at 2800 miles. However, the car is nine months old. As you can see, it is a short trip driver.

My local dealer is great about reminders too. Their reminders seem to almost mimick the on board minder. I use the dealer exclusively, for everything and have zero issues with them. Great place. Fair prices and outstanding service. A 5000 mile service, as they call it, takes less than 45 minutes and checks over 30 points with a tire rotation plus a hand wash. All for $24.95 with OEM filters and oil. Can't be beat, in my book.

One of my sons has an older model that needed tires and brakes. He got four "Z" rated (not cheap) Goodyears for his Mustang GT for just over $350.00/installed/balanced and mounted with a lifetime rotation package. The four wheel brake job was also very competitive and using quality OEM stuff. The dealer beat every price in town, except the jippos like, Just Brakes, etc.

Fair prices, quality parts. I go nowhere else.

JB

Like, DJ, I let my dealer do all of the scheduled maintenance. I think that is why my 9 year old vehicle is still a new vehicle with a bit over 105,000 miles on her.

Of course, maintaining the Mercedes Benz costs a LOT more than DJ's Mustangs but driving it gives me a sense of confidence and security. . . like boating in a Boston Whaler.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

Going a little over on a oil change is no big deal. BUT, make sure you check the oil more often!!! My pickup seems to use more oil as it gets more miles between changes.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

I go 5000 also but run pure synthetic.It is normal to have that fuzz of shavings on the drain plug.My truck has 94k on it now and never uses a drop of oil.Even when i towed the travel trailer 900 miles through mountains i expected it to use oil but it didn't.
I have run that DuraLube stuff in my engines.We tested it on a 4.3 engine.It had been running Duralube.We drained the oil and left the drain plug out.Drove the truck around in first gear holding it to the floor with not a drop of oil in it.
It blew out the tranny but the engine never did lock up.Filled it back with oil and it ran several more years.

Won't you had prefered to have gone fishing? I know that i would. :redface:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yep, my 3 new vehicles all go to the same dealer for their service or anything they need.
Never no question if something does come up that is under warranty that way.
The dealer has always taken care of it/them.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

i normally try to change mine about every 3000 miles whenever i can. sometimes i do it a bit early sometimes a bit late. i normally run mineral oil as opposed to synthetic due to the cost and the frequency of oil changes. i normally change it myself. about 2 days before im planning on changing my oil i top off with automatic transmission fluid as its extremely high in detergents. normally im less than a half quart low between changes. if my oil looks coal black on the dipstick im past due. sometimes i change my oil every 2000 miles in the winter because of extreme cold and excessive idling. 5000 miles shouldent hurt anything with the advances made in oil technology but i do it more often for peace of mind. i also drive alot of stop and go and alot of short trips where the engin never reaches normal operating tempatures as i live less than a mile from work so i worrie about raw fuel and condensation buildup in my oil. the metal shavings are normal as well as long as theres no big pieces if you have big pieces you have problems.

D

DJ

EZrider brings up a great point. Idle time. Most vehicle onboard maintenance minders take into account "idle time".

However, for those of you that do not have them, use this rule. One hour of idle time equals 33 miles. That is an auto industry standard. The same applies to Med/Heavy trucks that idle or run a PTO.

Changing oil, by miles, is a fallacy for many vehicles that "work" for a living.

The cars today have small filters. That means they get dirty quicker. 3000 is a good rule but if you let it go to 4 or 5 make sure the vicosity is right for your weather conditions(if its been hot you dont need to be running a real thin oil, and throw in a can of oil additive at 3000.

ndemge

Commander

I had an '88 minivan that would burn a quart of oil every 150 miles... quarter million miles does that...

I never changed the oil on that thing in a year of driving 80 miles a day. I just changed the filter every 4-5k miles. Added so much oil, didn't see much point in changing it.