History of Aluminum boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Stuart

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: History of Aluminum boats?

I finally found an old aluminum boat, it's a 1970 "Trailorboat company" "Klamath" from what I've read about the boat company, they changed their name to Klamath boats sometime later, this boat is in really good shape, it was a family hand me down, it's rivited aluminum, it's got a deep hull, and is 60 inches wide at it's widest point, so for a 12 footer, it's a pretty good sized boat, it's got a modified v hull that tapers out to a flat bottom at the transom, it's rated up to a 20 horse power motor, 800 lbs, or 4 persons.

now I need to clean it up and get it ready to put on the old trailer I just restored, it was sitting in a barn in the raftors for years, but it came with a good title, and all the tags including the HIN number are still on it, it's not dented or banged up at all, all the ribs, rivits, and woodwork are intact and in good shape and the best part is I was able to pick it up for 150 bucks after it was handed down to the grandson

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1945 Alumacraft 12' boat. It is 100% alum. construction with an original wood transom plate where the motor mounts. The boat has about 2000 rivets in it and is still 100% water tight.

I inherited it from my grandfather who bought it new. Great boat. I treat it like S**T and it never lets me down. I run it with my 1954 Evinrude 7.5 and get lots of compliments with the pair. I've had offers of $2000 for the boat and motor.

Look around, there are boats like mine available. You just need to be patient.

Chuck

jimyoung

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a early 60,s Elgin alum 12footer (sears) and an early 60,s elgin 7 1/2......got the motor for 20 dollars and the boat in trade for a shotgun,including a trailer......motor runs, trailer is galv and has brand new wheels and tires....cant find any info on the engine though.....would like to find a repair/owners manual........would look cool with 2 7 1/2,s on it eh Hoss....

JPickett

Cadet

While you guys are on the subject of old Auminum boats I have a few questions. I have a 14.5" Cherokee fishing boat. It has three bench style seats along with a small steering and dash section. This boat has no HIN plate, just the KY #'s. I have located two little oval plates on the transom that have some numbers stamped into them. I have yet to be able to locate any information on this boat. I have only seen one other Cherokee boat. Its a run about. The only diff in that boat and mine is the top cap. Mine is for fishing and the other for pleasure. So if any one has any info on this company or boat type it would be appreciated. I can take pictures of the boat after I get it back from the body shop that is painting the 69 lark hanging off the back of it.

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

JPickett, this is a year old post, why don't you start a new thread of your own. boats prior to 1972 were not required to have HIN's.

JPickett

Cadet

I didnt realize that on this site I would need to start a new thread just to ask a simple queston. I was not trying to hijack this thread. I just saw the thread, and thought being that it already had some attention dealing with older boats that I may get a little useful information about my boat. I thank you for the HIN info. I was well aware of that information. The reason that I included the information that I did was to possibly help others if they wanted to help me.

03vrod

Seaman Apprentice

The Cherokee Boat company was in kingsport .There's a picture online from 1946.I have a 16' runabout with original engine.Starting restoration .

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

I finally found an old aluminum boat, it's a 1970 "Trailorboat company" "Klamath" from what I've read about the boat company, they changed their name to Klamath boats sometime later, this boat is in really good shape, it was a family hand me down, it's rivited aluminum, it's got a deep hull, and is 60 inches wide at it's widest point, so for a 12 footer, it's a pretty good sized boat, it's got a modified v hull that tapers out to a flat bottom at the transom, it's rated up to a 20 horse power motor, 800 lbs, or 4 persons.

now I need to clean it up and get it ready to put on the old trailer I just restored, it was sitting in a barn in the raftors for years, but it came with a good title, and all the tags including the HIN number are still on it, it's not dented or banged up at all, all the ribs, rivits, and woodwork are intact and in good shape and the best part is I was able to pick it up for 150 bucks after it was handed down to the grandson

LOL 1970 isn't old :O)

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1945 Alumacraft 12' boat. It is 100% alum. construction with an original wood transom plate where the motor mounts. The boat has about 2000 rivets in it and is still 100% water tight.

I inherited it from my grandfather who bought it new. Great boat. I treat it like S**T and it never lets me down. I run it with my 1954 Evinrude 7.5 and get lots of compliments with the pair. I've had offers of $2000 for the boat and motor.

Look around, there are boats like mine available. You just need to be patient.

Chuck

Would Love to see pictures of this old Tinnie :)

RogersJetboat454

Commander

LOL Yea, the date gave it away :) doesn't change the fact that I would still love to see pictures of that old tinnie.

:facepalm:

Forum rules;
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=397820

Rule 12 of the forum rules;
12. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Please start a new thread of your own.

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

............ and getinmerry hasn't even been on the forums since May 2010.

When you search for info. on the WWW a lot of old threads come up and they are an interesting read even if they are old. It's not that I am searching through the threads while signed on to iBoats and not realizing they are old :). Some people make a big deal out of other folks making comments on the "old threads" but many of us still find the old threads useful and the comments that are made even years after it's first posting. When you are searching for information and come across something that is useful to you, you are grateful that #1 It's still there and #2 that folks have been adding to it years after its inception. Anyway...If someone can make themselves feel good at my expense then that in turn makes me happy that they are happy. The world for sure needs to be a much happier place. Don't you think?

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

:facepalm:

Forum rules;
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=397820

Rule 12 of the forum rules;
12. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Please start a new thread of your own.

I hear ya LT. LOL :) wouldn't want to confuse anybody.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

This post has gone way off subject and has been hijacked. It disrespects the rules from iboats and is now closed.

We designed our rules specifically so people will not hijack or just add on changing the meaning from the original poster. I see it as a respectful thing so we do not have people responding to some of our beloved iboats member who have passed away.

In the future use the PM system and PM the original Poster and ask them a specific question. ;)

Please abide by the rules set forth.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.