History of Aluminum boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Stuart

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Bare with me here, this post might be somewhat long winded.

I’ve been looking for a 12 foot riveted aluminum boat, and have been following a lot of ads on the internet, and even did some searching through Google to see how long aluminum boats have been manufactured. It’s been for some interesting reading, but the information has been very limited.

Before I drag this post out further, here’s my thoughts and views so far, and I am going to have some questions at the end of this post in hopes that some of you more experienced people might be able to enlighten me somewhat.

I have an old 12-foot trailer that I’ve completely stripped out, and am in the process of rebuilding, it’s almost done, but just like my search on the 12 foot boats, I’ve not been able to find a single bit of information on the trailer through the internet, I’m sure it’s pretty old, my guess would be the 1960’s

The year of the trailer kind of got me going in waiting to find an old boat, the older the better, I have learned that by reading the last two numbers in the serial number will give you the year of the hull, and I have looked at a few for sale locally and have not been able to find anything older then about 1965, so my first question is, how long have manufactures been putting the year the hull was built at the end of the serial number? How long ago did they start doing that?

The other thing I’ve noticed, is that the older the boat, the less likely the person selling it is going to know anything about it, I see lots of ads through craigslist that say something to the effect of “for sale, 12 foot aluminum boat, unknown year or make, no title, first $200 takes it home” ask the seller any specific questions about the boat, and you get an “I don’t know” this makes it kind of hard to find what your looking for because your pretty much forced to go look at the thing If you want any of your questions answered.

I did see some pretty neat looking old boats through a search of google pictures, but I’m guessing that the only way those people know what they have is because the manufactures emblem was still on the side of the boat when they bought it, which brings to mind another question, how many old boats are floating around out there that no longer have the emblems on them for what ever reason? I can see why a lot of people selling those old rowboats have no idea what they have.

So my questions are these, how long have they been making 12-foot aluminum rowboats? I see small outboards for sale that date back to the 30’s were they making aluminum boats back then? Maybe I’m not searching the internet correctly or something but the information I’ve been able to find has been very limited.

Was a runabout always something with a covered bow and a windshield, something like that in an old 12 foot boat might be kind of neat to own if one could be found, or have the 12 footers always been open boats with tiller steering and the throttle controlled at the outboard in one form or another?

My goal is to find the oldest aluminum boat I can find, and run it with the oldest outboard I can put on it, the prices of the older 12 footers certainly aren’t anything that’s going to break the bank, I’m seeing lots of stuff for under $500, the stuff I read on the net about some of the older boats people have bought tell stories of finding them at garage sales or estate sales and the like for amounts that don’t go much higher then 2 or 3 hundred, or maybe a little more.

to the people selling these older boats, I'm going to assume to them, it's just an old ugly beat up boat, in their mind, that they probably got 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th hand, or something they picked up at ..well, some garage sale along the way, so they don't see it as an antique, or a classic, it seems they see it as just a junky ugly old boat and they just want it taken off their hands.

to me, there's no greater pride that a person can have then to take something old like that, and set sail down the river, as you putt along sitting in front of your 1935 outboard you picked up from some guy on craigslist for 100 bucks, think of the 80 plus years of untold history behind it, that's worth something in my book.

What’s your thoughts and opinions on all this? Enlighten me; my enquiring mind wants more info.:D

Stuart

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: History of Aluminum boats?

I think real production of Aluminum boats began after WW2.Some early boats were not anodized so were not too successful.I think production really picked up in the late 40s or early 50s. Crestliner began as Larson around the early
50s.Their early boats had hardwood gunwales seats and transom buildup.
My 57 Crestliner 17 ft utility came with Mahogony plywood seats with neat white pinstripe around the edge. and even has a little wooden dashboard at the 34 inch long mini front deck.The hull resembles typical wooden boats of the time.
Most companies built a number of models of runabouts.There are a number of old Aluminum boat sites.Crestliner,FeatherCraft, And Aluma craft.
Feathercraft even made a little 10 ft runabout.At Chinewalkersplace there is
hand built aluminum remote control model of a Feathercraft runabout,Amazing!

Mr.Stuart

thanks for the info on some of the older manufactures, is Chinewalkersplace a web page? I did some searching for it and didn't find anything.

I'll do some searching for the manufactures you listed and see what I come up with.

Stuart

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I used google had good luck with chinewalkers place, retro crestliner,classic aluminum boats,vintage aluminum boats.Didn't have much luck finding alumacraft but it is out there. There is also fiberglassics.com mostly fiberglass but many catalogs including aluminum models.
Just try all kinds of word combos involving aluminum boat.
There is a site on Mullins steel boats pretty interesting.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

this is a 1956 Duracraft, has about 1/8 inch thick aluminum, it's solid as a rock. now has 93 40 hp johnny on it. i paid $200 for the hull, and put new transom wood in it.

Attachments

• MVC-117S.JPG
    MVC-117S.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 2
  • MVC-118S.JPG
    MVC-118S.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 1
  • MVC-119S.JPG
    MVC-119S.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 1
  • MVC-120S.JPG
    MVC-120S.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 2
  • MVC-121S.JPG
    MVC-121S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 2

Mr.Stuart

this is a 1956 Duracraft, has about 1/8 inch thick aluminum, it's solid as a rock. now has 93 40 hp johnny on it. i paid $200 for the hull, and put new transom wood in it.
that stuff is out there and cheap, I saw a 1958 aluminum 12 footer on craigslist last night, it was a name I've never heard of before, I noticed the ad is gone this morning, so it must have sold.

this one is on there today, http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/425805467.html but I'm going to guess that it's a fiberglass.

I'm racing to get the trailer done so I can get something to put on it

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer

I've got a 12' Sears semi-vee and a 9' Starcraft jon boat, haven't been able to find out what year either of them are. But they float. Here in Maine you see them out in the yard down every back road, but good luck trying to buy one. Great little fishing boats, if you can find some forum on the old ones let me know.

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer

What happens is the transom gets replaced, and that usually covers up the manufacturers data plate

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer

And then you really don't want to take off the replacement, until it gets so rotten you have to

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer

so you just guess, but I got my promotion, so all is not lost

Mr.Stuart

haha, Hoss, you got way to much time on your hands, but you got your promotion.

I am kinda watching that Chrysler aluminum 12 footer on craigslist, still not done with the trailer yet though, I was jammin on it today and got a lot done, it's almost all painted and I'm just geting ready to fish the wiring through the frame, it should look pretty good when it's done, but I am finding myself doing a rush job on it so I have it ready for a boat.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

If you really want an eye turner, i would look at something 1941 - 1944 ish. During the war, VERY FEW boats were made, as all the aluminum was going to the war effort. I have seen a couple, in different places through the US. Was a 1942 Johnson outboard at an AOMCI auction a couple months ago. That, would be a real conversation starter. Most of the aluminum boats originated right after the war. 50s boats are in no way rare. Some, weren't really good designs. The late 50s larson we had, wasn't well designed. it had the seats that went across the bottom, and the top piece is separate. Same goes for my 71 cherokee. They will wear out after 50 years. Now, the ones like the alumacrafts, that had the 1 piece formed aluminum seats (like most modern day ones) will last forever. A better design that will stay strong long after the metal softens up, and looses stiffness.

Most aluminum boats were from right after the war, from plane companies. Grumman boats were from Northrop Grumman company. The aircraft manufacture started making canoes, then bought out by another company who started making runabouts, and fishing boats.

Lund was started by an aircraft factory worker, who after the war, used his tools, and expertise to make himself a cartop fishing boat. He met a sporting goods store owner, who asked if he would make him some to sell in his store. The maker had his first order of 50 boats. Soon, his business outdid his garage, and now, it is a booming walleye boat company.

Most manufactures were started that way. In the 50s, boats were probably as common as they are now, but most were alum. so don't consider them rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.