Hiroshima

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hiroshima

Originally posted by Triton II:<br /> Interesting thread.
Yeah, very low emotional level . . . I will add:<br /><br />I have been to and done business in Japan over the last 5 years. The friends I have made there are very passive, honest men.<br /><br />I don't think I have truly met or been introduced to any Japanese women except when they were bringing us something . . . hmmmmm.<br /><br />I think that racist views can never result in anything positive.<br /><br />I also have never understood why the Japanese seem to be less guilty than the Germans.<br /><br />I support what we did in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Triton II

Commander
Re: Hiroshima

For a family that my father stated was "never warlike" I have an interesting family background. My father's older brother flew Kittyhawks (P-40s) with the RAAF in New Guinea and survived WW-II. He then went to Sydney Uni to study architecture. In 1950 he was recalled from reserve service and seconded into the RAN to fly Sea Furies from HMAS Sydney during the Korean War. He was killed in a flying accident during a carrier take-off. My father was undergoing flying training after his return from Japan and was asked whether he wished to continue due to Uncle Robert's death. He loved flying and of course carried on. He graduated and flew Sea Furies just like Robert, with the exception he survived and remained a naval pilot until the late 70s. I started flying training in the Air Force in 1976 and continued until my third boy was born in 1991. Dad really likes the Japanese and bears them no malice despite his mother wearing ribbons for all three of her kids in various theatres around the world, her husband from WW-I, her daughter's husband who was a POW of the Japanese and eventually for me. I now work for one of the largest Japanese industrial companies and am amazed that they do not hold more malice about the incredible level of destruction inflicted upon them. I agree it had to be done, but it must be hard for the Japanese to comprehend. Just my opinion.