Hiroshima

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My father was landed there following the A-bomb. He hardly talked about his experience other than to tell me that nobody should have to see the devastation like that again. <br />They had to secure and maintain the naval base there.<br />Today I hold views which would most likely be different to my fathers, not to say we ever disagreed. He wouldn't have anything to do with Japanese products nor would he entertain thoughts of friendship. Having seen the result from prisoners of war I cannot blame him at all. We would often talk of those times and how different the outcome could have been.<br />I hope to visit Japan in the next two years and no doubt the experience will be a highlight of my life. <br />Ross

iboater

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Hiroshima

Japan is an awesome place. You will definately enjoy it. I know I did...<br /><br />I plan on going back there, hopefully next summer.

Link

Rear Admiral

Different world today Ross<br />The dropping of the bombs saved close to a million people to end the war early. Counting both sides. And hundreds of thousands of injured.<br />Yes the devastation was great but your father most likely came across prisoners of war that had been experminted on by the Japanese. I wont go into detail but Ive seen some of the captured films made by them and puked afterwards. So I dont blame your father for being Not so Forgiving.<br /><br />Ive been to Japan a couple times and enjoyed the time there. But it wasn't the highlight of my life.

KRS

Banned

In order for those men to fight those wars, I truly feel they needed to hate their enemy. Our whole country hated them. I wasn't alive then. I don't hate the Japanese or the Germans or anyone else.<br /><br />I feel for the long harbored pain of our american servicemen and women, it's probably been difficult to see our mighty county bow to japan's technological might and other asian countries production abilities (ie: low cost) and see our country flooded with imports.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Before saying anything else, I want to acknowledge the massive tragedy of all the innocent people of all nationalities that were killed in WWII.<br /><br />What is truely amazing is how much devistation it took to make the Japanese surrender. It didn't take one nuclear attack - it took two...on top of the months of systematic fire-bombing of 66 of their biggest cities - which killed many more Japanese people (approx 900,000) than Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined. <br /><br />Add to that the Soviet's declaration of war against them in between the two nuclear attacks and not to mention that their navy, airforce and much of their army had already been wiped out.<br /><br />In the end, the Japanese emperor had to override his generals in order to bring about the surrender....otherwise they would have continued to fight on until there was nothing left.<br /><br />In terms of how many lives have been saved to date by nuclear weapons - I would say many many millions, when you consider the long period of peace during the cold war. If not for fear of nukes, that might have been a very hot war!<br /><br />Of course, the problem we have now is, what happens if bin Laden and his mad-men get their hands on even a primative nuclear weapon (remember the Hiroshima bomb would be extremely primative by today's standards).<br /><br />Time magazine have some interesting coverage of Hiroshima and the subject of nukes in their current issue,<br /><br /> http://www.time.com/time/covers/20050801/photoessay/ <br /><br /><br />P.S. Ross - I hope you have a fantastic trip. I hope to go there myself one day.

crab bait

Captain

the world crazies don't need to make nukes.. why re-invent the wheel.. there's plenty of good product floating around in the russian black market..<br /><br />ever since the beginning of mankind,, only GOD could end the world..<br /><br />as of 60 years ago man has clicked his own stopwatch..

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

To this day there are many in Japan that they did no wrong. The raping of Chinese, inhuman treatment of our captured troops and those they overan. I have no pity for those animals.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, the bombs did drop. Like it has been mentioned before, the bombing and burning of Toyoko and the other cities was probably much more deadly. <br /><br />Has anyone read about the Rape of Nanking or the March of Bataan, or the trial chemical bombing of other Chinese cities? The Japanese people then had designs on the world and made a pact with the other monster, Hitler to take it over.<br /><br /><br />Those military leaders are and were the creation of their and their peoples demise. <br /><br />I personally have no regret on what the US did to try and stop these murderers. I only wish the current leaders had the political will to clean up and wipe out these current cowards that threaten and kill innocent peace loving people.<br /><br />On another note;<br />I have been in Germany a few times, and after seeing and walking by a few NAZI demonstrations, my personal feelings are that it wouldn't take much to get this whole thing started again. I wonder about Japan. I have had no experience with them or been in that country.<br /><br />Still on another note;<br />I also think our old/new pal Putin, the current Russian President, leader or whater he is, could be provoked quite easily to start Military action against someone, he is by the way an old KGB dude. <br />The world is very fragile, and this country needs someone with some leaders with some brass balls to protect our way of life. <br /><br />Hey, I have an Idea, Lets all vote for Hillary, she could be the next Nevel Chamberlain and save us all. <br /><br />I haven't rambled for a while, I was thinking you guys were getting a little tired of me.<br /><br />Spud

Kiwi Phil

Commander

The Aussies (when measured with % of pop) suffered badly at the hands of the Japs. <br />POMs did too but that was a small % of their pop. <br />We know only too well of the Death March, Kakoda Trail, Burma Railroad, Changi to name but a few.<br />but with the Japs, now it is the elderly neighbour that was there so to speak. As a kid, it was a classmates father.<br />As far as I am concerned, so long as the Japs understand, we did it to them as they don't count and we don't care.<br />I will buy heir products, be pleasant to their tourists, but I always be superior to them as a human.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

TilliamWe

Banned

I will buy heir products, be pleasant to their tourists, but I always be superior to them as a human.
That's funny you say that... cause they felt the same way in WW2. (still do in some respects)

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

I recently read some good books on WW2 and one bascially stated that after the battle of LEYTE GULF the war was over for japan.<br /><br />Basically at that point - their iron/steel supply was cut and their oil supply lines were gone as the americans focused their attention on Japan.<br /><br />The emperor knew it but the military who ran the country felt that the americans did not have the stomach to fight island by island and that the americans would "ask" for peace.<br /><br />Even when the americans were knocking on the door the Japanese felt superior.<br /><br />WW2 also marked the 1st major war that targeted civilian and civilian targets (on both sides)<br /><br />Interesting article in Smithonsian this month - the bomb inventors talk about how the bomb was really meant for Germany and not Japan. They said some interesting things both pro and con to using the bomb,but one comment struck me as interesting - they felt if the bomb was NOT ever used people would not fully understand it devestating power - that the first time use of the bomb would prevent it from being used again.<br /><br />Tomatolord.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Does anyone think they wouldn't have used it on us if they could?

iboater

Seaman Apprentice

This happened so long ago. :( <br />We have great relations with Japan now. Of course a lot of the older generations that were directly involved with the war still hold bitter feelings. There is no reason to sit and point fingers and talk about how cruel they or we WERE. <br />Who cares. :eek: <br />I like Japan for what it is now. I don't care what it was then. :)

Laddies

Banned

iboater, it's very apparent that no one in your family suffered in the hands of the Japs, if so you might feel differantly than you do. I for one will never forgive or forget their crimes against the people of the world,I do try not to buy their products (do you realize that many Jap manufactures still owe Amercain prisoners wages that they promised to pay) so much for their word, our goverment should be ashamed to let any of those corperations do business in this county, as well as those who purchace thier products. So spin it any way you like, they deserved much more than the got. Had we turned it into a parking lot many more Americans would have jobs.

Twidget

Commander

While most of the Japanese I met while there appeared to be great people, I wonder if they still have Japanese only clubs, or if they still refer to us as 'hairy apes'(cant remember the exact word for it)?<br /><br />I have always wondered why Germany is constatly beat over the head for WWII and the Japanese have basically been given a free ride.

iboater

Seaman Apprentice

I have to admit that I do not know anyone who personally fought the Japanese. I am basing my opinion of the Japanese from living in Japan for 2 years. They do not hold malice towards us. I doubt that our economy would be doing as well without japanese products. Their technology is far ahead of ours.

txswinner

Banned

Iboater, Glad my ole Redneck Dad never met you. He hated the Japanese and I am often bothered with similar feeling of Vietnamese. I know I should not feel this hated but it is part of my being. Oh yeah, Dad's brother was killed at Bataan, another brother was POW in Germany, he never bought anything he knew was made by Japanese. As far as technology, they have stolen and imitated or taken and then improved almost everything they make.

oddjob

Commander

Fighting to the death was the code of the samuri...and they re-opened the code and included it with the military environment........death before dis-honor....it almost worked..

txswinner

Banned

We should have given them more honor along with some of our middle east friends looking for the 69 virgins.

Triton II

Commander

Interesting thread. As a 17-yr-old RAN Midshipman, my father served with BCOF (British and Commonwealth Occupation Forces) in Nagasaki in 1946. He won't talk about it. He then served in Korea flying Sea Furies. He loves talking about that. Weird? :confused: